Head Gasket and head repair

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
hungryhound69
Posts: 7
Joined: 16 Jan 2023, 17:00

Head Gasket and head repair

Unread post by hungryhound69 »

Hello,

I had a failed head gasket on a C3 1.4 2008. I am trying to figure out if I can save my head or get a reconditioned head. I haven't yet measured the head for straightness as I need to get a straight edge first. However, I did measure the head thickness and it comes out at around 110.9-111.0 mm which suggests that it has already been skimmed once. I can get a reconditioned head and told I need a 2 notch gasket (I think that's a 1.4mm gasket-I may be wrong). But I also have seen 1.6mm gaskets so I am wondering what are they for. I am attaching pictures of the perished gasket I took off as it has 2 notches but I though the notches need to be closer together and one of the notches is some sort of registration.

So my questions are:
1. If my head passes the straightness test what thickness gasket should I use?
2. If It doesn't can it be skimmed any more or is it at the limit of usefulness as the factory specifies 111.0mm to be the minimum head thickness.

Thank you all in advance
Attachments
image0 2.jpeg
image1 2.jpeg
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11823
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2000

Re: Head Gasket and head repair

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

I think you are correct that that is a 1 notch gasket.....BUT, see below

I would not trust measurements "done at home" for either warping or thickness, take it to a professional for checking and advice regarding the gasket to use.

Eling (OEM supply)
s-l400.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger