MyWay Issues

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

kisst-1
My Cars: Peugeot 5008

MyWay Issues

Post by kisst-1 »

Hi,

I want to ask you for help as an expert. In my Peugeot 5008, the radio in the WIPNAV + head unit is fail, I couldn't fix it, so I bought a used one (same part number). I replaced it at a Peugeot service station, unfortunately it was from a citroen, they reconfigured what they knew, the radio, cd, navi worked. The next day I noticed that the radar was not going and not writing computer messages. I went back, the reversing radar could be resolved, but the computer messages could not. They said they couldn't do more. Now I don't see any dashboard messages, parking brake release, tire pressure, fault indications, etc.
How can this be solved?
My question would be, if I remove the internal sd card from the old headunit and insert it into the new headunit, can the communication between the headunit and the computer improve or the whole thing may crash?

Thank you for your help
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: MyWay Issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You need to first make sure the firmware on the replacement unit is at least the same version as your old unit. There have been changes over the released that may account for the issues, but configuration is another issue.

The configuration between Peugeot and Citroen can be quite different, as the different vehicles can display their messages via different displays. An example being some Peugeot vehicles have a retractable display, but Citroens don't. Some have messages displayed on the screen, others on the instrument panel matrix display.

These options are configured in the BSI and if they are not properly configured, the vehicle will not know where to send the data to.

The replacement Head Unit has obviously been configured for a Citroen previously and some settings are incorrect for your Peugeot. You may need to go to the dealer and pay them some diagnostic time to configure it to your vehicle from their servers.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

Thanks for the reply.
My important question would be, does an internal sd card include the firmware and configuration as well? What is the function of the internal sd card?
I checked, put back the original head unit and looked at the firmware version of it, which starts with R29 and the used one starts with R27. Since my car is an early release (Peugeot 5008 -2010), the R27 firmware probably doesn’t even know the 5008 (it’s from a Citroen C3, but the part number is the same).
I replaced it at a Peugeot service center because I knew they had to rewrite the chassis number with them, but they could only change the Citroen logo to Peugeot or change it to make the pop-up LCD display , nothing else. Now I understand why. So I just ordered an original software CD (Pn: 9691894880) because it can fix it, but I definitely have to get it back for service because of the configuration, because it won’t improve.
Anyway, I downloaded this software, but I can't update it because I would have to write at 4X speed, but I'm unable to write below 8x, and not even my friends. I can't upgrade from Pendrive because I don't have a USB port in the car.
So the easiest solution for me seems to be to swap the two internal SD cards. Assuming they are all firmware, the config file will run from all these internal Sd cards, because then that would solve everything. Am I correct? Or does the firmware run from a motherboard integrated storage?

Because then it wouldn't help, maybe it would solve the configuration if it only contained it. But this configuration file can be crash with the R27 firmware.
Could you suggest swapping the internal sd card?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The RT6 does not have a hard drive fitted internally, so uses flash memory in the form of a MicroSD card. This acts as the hard drive and the operating system files are stored one partition. Then another partition houses the Navigation maps and another partition the jukebox and another for the user data etc.

R** is not a firmware! I don't know what you are referring to here.

Marc
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear because I just snatched the point out of the version number, which can be changing.

This is shown by the version number for an RT6:
22523010.jpg
However, this is shown by the version number for WIPNAV+ in a Peugeot 5008.
rneg-becker-firmware-r-50-03.jpg
These pictures are not from my car. All I know is that version number "rneg_D_R50b_R50.03" is the same as software version "2.86". My origonal head unit has the firmware version "rneg_D_R29b_R29.02".
However, the purchased head unit contains the following: "rneg_D_R27b_R27.02"
So these were the R29 and R27 that I mentioned.
I don't know what software cd version they correspond to (2.06; 2.07 or something else?)

As described, i can swap the two sd cards if the motherboard is just hardware. Thank you very much for your help.

By the way, the original head unit communicates well with the car, as only the radio part is corrupted, it does not work the channels clean, the automatic search does not find a channel at all. However, there are all the channels in the radio menu, so when if I push the button from there, some of the channels working but only sound quieter, crackling. It is not an antenna problem, something with a noise filter, or anything else that could affect the signal clarity on the motherboard. I am not competent to improve it, electronic technician do not take the job either, so trash.
For comparison, I checked the radio parameters in the secret menu (setup +1,2.3 button) The quality strength of signal in case of original unit: 61, purchased head unit: 191.
But there is a channel that has 255 signal strength.
Original unit Quality strenght.PNG
New unit Quality strenght.PNG
Thanks again for the information, i hope it helps others.
Last edited by kisst-1 on 01 May 2022, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You are getting totally mixed up.

First to attach a picture, use the FULL POST EDITOR button before the SUBMIT button, then select ATTACHMENTs, browse to your files and upload them, then use the PLACE button to place the pictures where you want in your post.

You are mixing up navigation systems The first picture is from an eMyWay (RT6) system. The second picture is for the MyWay (RNEG) system which is completely different so that firmware is not relevant to your vehicle.

If you don't know what system you have, post your VIN up.

Marc
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

I'm sorry for my poor English, probably that's cause a misunderstanding. I'm aware I have a Myway WIPNAV+ system (RNEG). PN: 96736746XT (no usb port, but has an external sd card reader for the map on the front).
VIN: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
I bought the same PN from e-bay, 96736746XT from a citroen C3, but it has older software that doesn't communicate with my car's computer.

I also included a picture of RT6 just because I thought both systems could be upgraded from the same software cd (9691894880). Yet an RT6 headunit shows "RNEG2.86B1" , that's contains which printed on the a software CD (2.86), while the MyWay WIPNAV+ shows something else (example:"reng_D_R50b_R50.03"). If it is another firmware, does the Myway(RNEG) need another refresh CD, it is not the 9691894880?.

Could you give the part number to Myway(RNEG) from what software CD to upgrade?
3b1ce4bdd88e170b2290f2329450e63a.jpg
Attachments
7638b7007a50eafc836b383e6d07c4df.jpg
Last edited by kisst-1 on 29 Apr 2022, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

Can an internal card swap work?

Original unit:
IMG_20220328_192324.jpg
New replacement unit:
IMG_20220411_181024.jpg
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

Ohh, I found your post about that:

viewtopic.php?t=58605

This will resolve everything.
I tried for this procedure based on another forum, what was about RT6, but i used wrong firmware, because i thought RT6 firmware is the same like WIPNAV+ .
I thought the external sd card reader was only reading the map, and this was the reason the update didn't start either. i thoght i have to get a cd, even though only the firmware was bad.
Huge respect for your posts, you save a lot of costs for those who read it.
Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The eMyWay RT6 and MyWay RNEG are 2 entirely different systems and do not use the same firmware as although they may appear to be similar that's where it ends.

Forget Firmware 2.86.

As for changing the units over - you can swap the head units - however, you will still need to configure the unit to your vehicle and still need to VIN code it each time you replace it with another unit.

A word of caution - never disconnect any plugs on the back of the head unit without first removing the large Quadlock connector first, and always reconnect it last.

Marc
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

I had no problem putting the old one and then the new one again. The new one was put in a Peugeot service center and they started by typing in my chassis number. Both are included in my chassis number, so the car accepts them without any problem.

Well, I did the software update and I’m extremely sad because nothing has changed.
The monitor now displays this firmware version:
IMG_20220430_173351-1024.jpg
But in the same way it does not communicate with the computer, does not write handbrake release, error messages, etc.

The settings menu is also incomplete, as before (no system language, no vehicle menu):
IMG_20220430_173219-1024.jpg
In my original headunit, this is the setup menu:
IMG_20220426_190229-1024.jpg
Apparently this is really just a configuration issue. I'm just a user, I don't have a connector or software to configure. When I replaced the head unit at a small rural Peugeot-Reanult service center, they rewrote the chassis number, the Citroen logo for a Peugeot, and to have a pop-up display, but nothing else could be configured. I have faint hope that because of the old firmware and if I left now they would be able to. They didn’t seem too knowledgeable, they didn’t even know how to update firmware. They said to me, they couldn’t configure anything because certain things were pre-programmed for the car in the factory, so I should have bought one out of a 5008, not out of a Citroen C3. If that's true, that's big problem. No one on E-bay says this, they advertise the headunit as if it were good for any vehicle (e.g., 308,3008,5008, C3, C5, DS3)
What should I do? Should i look for a more professional Peugeot service?
For now, I only see one way if I replace the internal sd card from the original headunit. Then the configuration must be correct, and the phisical hardware is the same. If the new head unit still doesn't communicate with the computer anyway, it means there's something physical wrong with the new head unit's connector or the motherboard.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As I already said, you have a MyWay unit from a Citroen and these are configured COMPLETELY differently to the Peugeot systems.

Your mechanic has managed to configure the retractable display ok and the VIN, but there may be more BSI settings to configure the unit for a Peugeot, because the data streams are sent to different outputs. If the parameters are not correct then the data will be sent (like the messages) but the system will not know where to send them or it will send them, but to the wrong output which isn't on the vehicle.

I suspect you need to reconfigure the Instrument panel ECU (in your vehicle it is the instrument panel with Matrix display), This is where the data streams are probably configured differently to Citroen vehicles, so this is where you need you mechanic to check for the configuration parameters.

Marc
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

I understand, thank you very much. So BSI teaching could put data on the display. There is no back and forth communication at the moment, because if I set the matrix display to navigate (when it indicates the direction with arrows), it won't work either, so the matrix display doesn't show the information from the headunit.
This would not solve the incomplete menu yet. I can set the daytime running light in the "Vehicle" menu, that would also be important.

However, when I put it back, the communication with the old headunit was working again, so the BSI is well configured for that, so I wanted to change the headunit configuration instead.

Why don't you recommend swapping the internal micro sd card? Is there any risk involved?

I used to find an auto hi-fi mechanic who said he could solve my problem but would ask for almost as much money as the new headunit cost.
However, I can also swap the card at no cost.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Admin Edit to Self
Post not relevant to MyWay

Marc
kisst-1

Post by kisst-1 »

Ok that's enough for me, I'll take it.
First I will put the old head unit back, I also do the firmware update to make it the same.
Then I'll do the internal card exchange.
I will share my experience with you.
Many thanks Marc