Could I possibly DIY 🤔 all brake pads on my C5?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sheyhoon
My Cars: Citroën C5 Exclusive 2008

Could I possibly DIY 🤔 all brake pads on my C5?

Post by Sheyhoon »

I was wondering if I could get an expert step-by-step guidance on the following as I've been quoted unhappy and can't afford right now & have a child to move around & shelter from cold. Please help!

Issues;
1. Lambda sensors - post & pre (how to install new ones)
2. Pollen filter 🤧 (very tricky access or can't locate it)
3. Oil filter (not sure what size ie wrench)
4. Fuel filter (located where?)
5. Brake pads (all wheels - this will be a big project & need help with proper guidance)
6. Audio system upgrade later (full works! The ones in the Citroën C5 are so low quality! When I was fixing FL window regulator & saw the speaker in the door panel I was like what 😳! Really! 😆) No wonder I couldn't hear anything!
7. Lastly but not the least, transmission oil pressure switch needs changing according to halfords & I'm pretty sure that is for a proper engineer to fix, right?

I'd love to hear from you guys. Need reading a lot on audio upgrades etc.

Thanks so much guys. Y'all really helpful.
rrijken
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 tourer 2009

Re: Could I possibly DIY 🤔 all brake pads on my C5?

Post by rrijken »

What engine in your C5? Post your VIN so you can get expert advice. Mine has the 2.0 RFJ petrol engine.

Changed the 2 lambda sensors last month. 1 accessible from top, one from below. Top one I needed a lambda sensor deep socket as there was not enough space to get a spanner in, bottom one can be done with a spanner (22 think). top one took me 15 minutes, bottom one a bit longer as you will have to jack up the car. I put the car suspension on highest and then you can 'kind of' reach it....

Pollen filter, there is a guide: viewtopic.php?t=56902

Oil filter, if it has the plastic cover on, then it is a 27mm nut

Fuel filter, if like mine then it does not have a filter

Brake pads, just did this 2 weeks ago, front 2-3 hours (including cleaning), back 2 hours (did it without lexia for the parking brake). Back brakes there is a guide: viewtopic.php?t=55659

so above are easily done by yourself if you have all necessary tools around.
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

WOW! Thanks guys for coming back so quickly. My VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

Thanks so much Marc. You're such a genius 👏.
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

Thanks Rrijken. Thanks RichardW. I'll do the filters first and let y'all know how I get on while I take delivery of some tools, etc.
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

Ordered AC disinfectant & will wait till weather's a bit better (very grey & cold).
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

I managed to change the pollen filter successfully without any snaps. Very easy to complete using the guide you provided on here. Thanks ever so much! Took me like 8.5mins as I'd studied the guide properly. I decided to not disinfect cause of reviews about weird (bleach) after-scents. Moreover, I shall be doing Oil Filter tmrw when I get some free time from my little monster 👹. I haven't found Fuel Filter just yet...not sure it has one. But in the meantime, I'm prepping myself mentally for the lambda sensors & brake pads however, awaiting a guide from y'all...please? Purchased some lambda sensor sockets too. I was quoted almost £400 to complete these tasks but I don't see that sort of money coming out from my pockets! No way! Oh wait! Transmission Oil Pressure Switch...what on earth is that? Where does it go? Anyone ever done it? I also found some cables underneath the glove compartment & wondered if they were cut off deliberately or..? Grrr can't add pics.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sheyhoon wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 20:43 Grrr can't add pics.
There is a guide for image upload here: https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=56796

Note that images from phones are often rotated. Use the preview button to check.
If they are, rotate the original through 90˚ then back, then save it, saving the changes, then reupload it.
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

Thanks for that! Here's a pic of the cables. What do you think?
Attachments
20201015_195743.jpg
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

no idea about the cables. I am not an administrator so still do not know your engine.

Brake pads: simple if you know what you are doing, in a nutshell (for beginners):

front:
1. loosen wheel nuts, jack up car, support it on axle stands and remove the wheel
2. clean the working area
3. open the brake fluid reservoir
4. remove the metal spring holder (number 10 in above picture)
5. remove the rubber dust caps from the caliper (on the back, A in above picture)
6. if car has sensors connected to the pads, then disconnect them from the loom (remember how the wiring was routed), my car only had the sensor on the passenger side
7. undo the two bolts holding the caliper (number 11, hex type, don't know the size anymore)
8. gently wiggle free the caliper (make sure not to let it dangle using the pipes, use a piece of string or the likes to hold it's weight)
9. remove the old brake pads
10. piston in the caliper needs to be pushed back by using a pushing tool (did not have this until recently, used leverage with a big screw driver on all of my previous cars, mostly Rovers). When you push back the piston, brake fluid will be returned to the reservoir. Keep an eye on the level and make sure it does not overflow.
11. put new pads on either side of the caliper holder (number 3) after having put on a thin coat of copper grease to prevent brake squeel. Do not put grease on the part that touches the brake disc, only put it on the parts that are in contact with the holder and the brake caliper (so the back of the pads)
12. gently put back the caliper and put back bolts number 11 (only tighten a bit)
13. put back sensor wiring and connect to the loom again
14. put back the metal spring holder
15. tighten bolts number 11 to required torque (if you do not have the torque number or a wrench then make sure they are tight)
16. put back the dust caps A
17. put back wheel and lower the car.
18. close the cap of the brake fluid reservoir (making sure fluid level is above minimum, if not ad fluid)
19. sit in car and gently push the brakes. Pedal will go to the floor as piston will be pushed against the new pads. Let go and push again. Repeat till the pedal firms up and it feels like it was before

one side done, other side to go after a cup of coffee (or whatever you fancy)

rear:
as per guide (kind of the same as above, with the exception that if you have an electronic handbrake you need to disengage it and after having done this disconnect the battery to make sure it does not re-engage do take into account the clean shutdown time of all electric equipment though before disconnecting the battery, see guide viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61997), just with the addition that you need to disconnect the handbrake from the callipers before removing them.
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

This is amazing 👏 thanks. I'll let you know how I get on. I'll take some pics too.

Re pollen filter OMG! It was gross! You should have seen it! Doubt it's ever been changed 😷.
Attachments
20201016_185828.jpg
20201016_185814.jpg
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

That is what mine looked like as well when I changed it. Have owned current car only from February and it has been an ongoing project as the car came with some problems.

have fixed most of them now.

let me know what engine is in your car and if same as mine then I can guide you through the paces here as well.
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

I bought the car off auction last year Dec.

Re engine, its 2008, C5 EXCLUSIVE 2.0. I've got the VIN. Hold on I'll pm you.
rrijken
(Donor 2020)

Post by rrijken »

Am not an administrator so cannot see details. If it is a petrol then it is same as mine. Did you get the socket for the lambda sensor?

top sensor:
1. take off plastic engine cover
2. look at outlet from driver's side, you can see the sensor on top (surrounded by heat shields).
3. See if your socket fits, if yes, proceed
4. Unplug battery (taking into account the BSI shutdowns as mentioned before)
5. unplug the wiring from the loom, connectors will be to the right of the engine. Blue is for bottom sensor, green for top.
6. when you have freed the wiring from the loom, use the socket to loosen the sensor and take it out
7. replace with the new sensor, reconnect to the loom

bottom sensor:
1. take off plastic engine cover
2. jack up the right front of the car, for safety use axle stands
3. crawl under the car and locate the sensor (quite obvious, you do not have to remove the under engine cover as it is right after it, so reachable)
4. See if your socket fits (or use a wrench)
5. Unplug battery (taking into account the BSI shutdowns as mentioned before)
6. unplug the wiring from the loom, connectors will be to the right of the engine. Blue is for bottom sensor, green for top.
7. after unplugging leave the wiring on top of the engine so you can use it to pull the new wiring into place
8. loosen sensor and leave dangling, free the wiring from all clips on back of the heatshields (make sure the wiring on your new sensor is long enough!)
9. connect the wiring of the new sensor to the old sensor with some rope or tie rap.
10. put new sensor in and tighten.
11. go back to engine bay, pull on the old wiring that you left on top of the engine at number 7 till you can reach for the old sensor.
12. wiggle the old sensor past all pipes and wiring, cut the rope or tie rap (number 9)
13. connect new sensor to loom
14. clip wiring into place under the car (behind the heatshields)
15. lower car

After the above:
1. reconnect the battery
2. connect lexia PC to car and reset all auto adaptives

Top one is simple, 15 minutes maybe. Bottom one a bit more difficult, 45 minutes maybe.

when done, take a break before taking the car for a test drive
Sheyhoon

Post by Sheyhoon »

Awesome I'm on top of this 😎. Thanks so much. I'll take some pictures too.