207cc lumpy starting.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Colin2206

207cc lumpy starting.

Post by Colin2206 »

My wife's car has had lumpy starting and running, until it gets warmed up, for a while now. It is a 2008, 1.6 petrol VTI
There is a PO114 fault code that reoccurs (it is the only fault code) and the "depollution.." warning. I've change the camshaft sensors and swapped them over and it is always Bank 2. Also the associated oil valves. Cleaned and swapped and renewed spark plugs and air filter and cleaned the air flow butter fly.

However the lumpy running has got noticable worst with the colder weather. I am now thinking the lumpy running is to do with the cold engine...so my next attempt is the coolant sensor & thermostat. As for as I can make out, both are in a housing and, in theory, can be replaced seperately, although I can't find a supplier for the thermostat. I intended just replacing the lot.

Any thoughts about this and has anyone had a similar expereince?

Regards,
Colin.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Re: 207cc lumpy starting.

Post by Huskyxantia »

Its hard to get a thermostate on its own as there mostly fitted in a plastic housing, have you cjecked vaccum hoses ? Head gasket ok ?
Colin2206

Post by Colin2206 »

Thanks for the reminder re vacuum hoses. I'll check with a bit of loose hose tomorrow.
No signs that the head gasket is leaking.

I am checking prices for the coolant housing.
Colin2206

Post by Colin2206 »

I spoke to my local mechanic and he will be putting the car on his disgnostic next week, but he though that a good guess would be the timing chain. I can't find a recommended replacement interval for the 1.6 vti. Plenty about belts but not so much about chains. Given the cost involved I was wanting a more definitive analysis (which I might next week).
Does anyone know what Peugeot recommend for their chains?
Colin2206

Post by Colin2206 »

Update; Local garage could not get a error code to show, and had a bit of trouble delivering the car back due to uneven running! No charge even though they spent an hour on it.
I managed to get error codes over the next few days and at last began to see a pattern, problem in No.1 cylinder. I swapped the plugs around, all ok, so changed the coil (£25) and that cleared >90% of the lumpy running. But there is something still there. Also changed the O2 sensor (£50) and there is still something there. After the last test run , no fault codes generated, BUT there is still something there; lumpy when cold and occassional miss when warm.
I've booked it in for a professional scan (£72) first week in Jan, and that gives me a week before MOT is due.

Is it just me or isn't the point of onboard diagnostics to tell you what is not right so it can be fixed promptly and efficiently? This is has been going on for months now and it is old fashioned educated guesses and trial & error to get this far.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

As i have found on board diagnostics are not always true , if i haven't read this right , maf sensor ? Has that been checked if so sorry for skip reading . Have you done a bubble test ? Jar of water , pipe from water bottle to the jar and see if any bubbles appear thats an old way to test head leaks,gasket,..

Idle control valves can play up too, also dirty earths can cause some odd issues
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

Another thing and it might sound silly , could this be anything to do with the new e10 petrol ?

An old car i had well it was 10 yr old when i got it did similar and all tests revealed nothing, mine was head gasket it was just staring to weep, i did that and all was good after, but all cars are different, hope you get a result and fix.