DIY with function over finesse!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21157
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8122

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

Got the coping stones fitted on Wednesday and now just finished adding the last stones along the front edge. Looks better now than it ever did!! :-D
A finished job!
A finished job!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 28713
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
x 5672

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Unread post by myglaren »

Ammo for the local scallies!
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21157
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8122

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

The waterfall is behind a locked gate Steve so they'll have to work for it! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
User avatar
Skull
(Donor 2026)
Posts: 1382
Joined: 02 Aug 2013, 13:35
x 381

.DIY with function over finesse!!.

Unread post by Skull »

This is going to be my last big DIY job for my Daughter ...the fully tiled shower room was (imo) the best finished room in the house but she want a makeover so I've convinced her to let me do a partial makeover and save a few grand ...

Shower tray removed and the bonding resin and sub floor put up a fight, just so I can tap into the water feeds for a short bath (1400mm) (she loves a bath)
Skull's - DIY
Skull's - DIY
This is what greeted me .... butchered joists re-inforced :^o with chipboard and plywood, builders rubble/offcuts and plastic speedfit connections :roll:

I'm ignoring the state under there and am just going to join on but I don't think I've ever used speedfit fittings before :dunno:
Skull's - Spagetti Speedfit
Skull's - Spagetti Speedfit
Wish me luck [-o<
My 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
My 5th Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II

Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.1i / 1.4D / 1.5D)

Gary
Online
PaulC5
Donor 2024
Posts: 2631
Joined: 06 Jun 2023, 15:26
x 685

DIY with function over finesse!!

Unread post by PaulC5 »

First time I came across a speedfit type of fitting was a student rented house and it had come loose so the kitchen floor was flooded. Important to check they are fitted correctly especially if hidden.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55087
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8391

Re: .DIY with function over finesse!!.

Unread post by CitroJim »

Good work Gary :D

That looks a bit like my bathroom did when they gutted it!
Skull wrote: Yesterday, 15:20 I don't think I've ever used speedfit fittings before :dunno:
I was very dubious about them first time I ever encountered them but generally they are bloody excellent... My house now has a lot both in my bathroom and on the new central heating. Touch-wood, never a problem.

No need to worry ;)
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
John Pankhurst
(Donor 2026)
Posts: 77
Joined: 12 Mar 2026, 11:57
x 44

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Unread post by John Pankhurst »

I've used them once when installing a shower cubicle. Really awkward access to the under floor connections for normal copper fittings but the speedfit worked out well.
User avatar
Sloppysod
Moderating Team
Posts: 1528
Joined: 23 May 2015, 23:35
x 396

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Unread post by Sloppysod »

Only ever used copper push fit connectors, because my gas bottle run out and could not get a replacement - it was my Dads!
Seen a few plastic pipe installations with sagging pipes, if I were to use it I would add as many clips as possible or even a (as well) a support batton.

And why the elbow.?
Attachments
Screenshot_20261011_101701_Waterfox.jpg
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
User avatar
Skull
(Donor 2026)
Posts: 1382
Joined: 02 Aug 2013, 13:35
x 381

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Unread post by Skull »

Sloppysod wrote: Today, 10:22.

…….And why the elbow.?
Image
I think it was to get the cold pipe below the shower tray, in that corner but there’s also a large chunk of joist missing in that area and a brick missing from the interior wall where I presume the original bath waste pipe went to a hopper outside. Which I will use to run the new bath waste through and tidy up the exterior scab of cement …hopefully I can alter that to take some tension off that area ….
My 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
My 5th Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II

Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.1i / 1.4D / 1.5D)

Gary