I Phone issues with MyWay / WIPNAV

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: I Phone issues with MyWay / WIPNAV

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc
I have tried the above and still the same issues with I Phone and Android.
Guess it is the Head Unit which i guess is not gonna be cheap lol
Its the C5 in my sig
I think the Head Unit is 96661984ZD but cannot find the bluetooth module part number but guess that may not be at fault.
I have been looking around on the web to see how much they are, and no not cheap :( not even going to guess what the cost new would be :evil:

However i have seen one on the forum just wondered if i have got the part number correct and if it is plug and play apart from vin coding which would mean i only need the headunit itself?
Have not taken original head unit out as i can't find the removal keys that i thought i had, think they are the flat type ?

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is no separate bluetooth unit Colin. It is built into the head unit itself on the MyWay system.

Before you go replacing it, it may be worth getting Diagbox on it for a test. You should be able to run proper tests on the unit which checks the unit functionality like button presses and other features.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Ok cheers Marc will power up the laptop :)

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Run the global test, let it finish, run the engine (so as not to go into economy mode), then from the list of ECUs, look for RNEG (should be something similar), the icon on the left will provide a clue.

Select the ECU and confirm, which will take you into another screen, where you should see options such as parameters - where you can run standard parameter tests or custom - depends. That should run through a sequence of tests and ask for your input where necessary.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc advice as always very helpful

i have done a Global Test and for once no issues reported so thats a big plus :)

I have done the actuator tests hopefully the images will upload but no way to test the blue tooth module #-o
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Think i am looking at a replacement head unit hopefully the info on the second photo can determine which unit i am looking for

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So looks like there is a fault with the muting as shown on the pictures which would explain why you can't be heard by the other callers.

Have you tried pressing in the mute button a few times on the steering wheel to make sure it's not stuck? The button on the right side of the steering wheel controls immediately under the VOL - button?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255161981544 ... Sw5JdfpFvH

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Yes i did check that as soon as i exited the diag session, every time it muted the radio on first press and then when pressed again it un muted. i did check this half a dozen times as i thought this was maybe an issue but looking back at the pic of the mute button being pressed both the increase/decrease volume buttons change to pressed not released which i am not sure is what is meant by the comment in help section.

Marc i assume that the link you posted is for the correct unit that i currently have, if so that looks very inviting :)
Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Just tried another test with the phone connected to the head unit i can make a call and both myself and other person cannot hear each other, as soon as i go into call menu i can select go private and both parties can hear each other so basically disconnecting blue tooth ( phone to head unit ) as soon as i uncheck go private no one can hear anything.
Obviously this is done stationary and both parties holding the phones for test purposes
Not sure if that helps but still getting the ring tone for incoming calls through the speakers yet nothing on making an outgoing call.
Have double checked the sat nav and voice instructions are fine and being played through speakers and i can adjust the volume with no issues.

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Colin what firmware version are you on? Anything less than RNEG_R50b_R50.03 can cause Bluetooth issues amongst other problems.

See my post here for the list of fixes:

viewtopic.php?p=659700#p659700

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Marc
Running the latest version of firmware and have spoken to the previous owner (my son) and he has said that it's happened a few times before when he had the car but the issue was resolved with a factory reset on the head unit but that was on original firmware.
Only thing i haven't tried is a BSI reset.
Cannot think of anything else apart from a replacement head unit

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can try resetting the unit and reboot it: There is a special Menu:

1) Start the car and when the MyWay is working (wait a minute or so) press the SETUP button.
2) The immediately after hold buttons 1, 2 & 3 in simultaneously until you see the hidden menu then release the buttons.
3) Be careful NOT to change anything here!
4) From the Menu, scroll down and select the third option that says SETTINGS
5) Then scroll down until you see the SYSTEM RESET (Reboot) option and select this.
6) The system will go blank and reboot.

You may or may not lose some of your personal settings and may have to set them up again - but this will reboot the unit.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc.

I have had to change the battery today on the car as it refused to start so have actually managed to do a BSI reset and the special menu reboot.
However still in exactly the same position regarding the phone :(

But i have done another actuator test on the RNEG system, i will upload the pics via my phone then come back and explain what i did although no improvement :)
Own work
Own work
I have tried pressing both +/- volume controls on the steering wheel and when i do this the head unit mutes the sound, not sure if it is meant to but it does.
Mute button works every time on and off and both volume controls work as they should.

However in the above pic when i press the mute button i get invalid value, but you can see from the timeline that both +/- buttons affect the mute button.
When i press the - button i get a pressed response from the mute button, yet when i press the + button i get an invalid response from the mute button.

Not sure if this is something that is head unit related or actually a fault with the steering wheel controls.

Trying my best to help you help me :rofl2:

*** Edit this is the link to the Battery i purchased though not for that price :)****
Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very nice battery!

Yes, definitely some fault showing up there with the mute test showing invalid value. So there is also a Mute function on the Head Unit. It's actually the Power Off button top left. A short press turns it on and off, but a long press pauses a CD if playing, or Mutes Radio. But the dedicated Mute button also on the head unit may be faulty.

A difficult one this as it is interfering with communications. That unit I linked to has gone now - did you buy it anyway?

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Marc
I can't see anything else to try apart from changing the head unit as there are no faults showing yet obviously something is not right.
I assume the pressed/released values are reported via the RNEG unit and whilst the actual buttons do as required something within the unit is reporting differently?
I didn't buy the unit you linked to, i was hoping that it would be solved on the cheap :)
I can't find the removal keys i thought i had so guessing These are the correct ones.
Do you know the right model number i am looking for as a replacement seen quite a few different numbers.
Odd thought i had was that maybe the unit has been changed prior to our ownership and if a slightly different model could that be the cause of the issues which have been on and off ever since we have had it. The Good Lady very rarely uses the phone so no idea how long it may have been an issue ?

I have seen This but not sure if its the right one

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That unit will be fine Colin.

I note they are also supplying the screen in the price, so no need to change that - but may be worth keeping in reserve.

I can't think what else the issue could be as I'm assuming the wiring has not been changed or anything attached - so short of that or the steering wheel control module I can only assume the Head Unit has developed a fault.

You may as a last resort consider removing the wiring plugs from the back of the unit and leave it disconnected for half an hour or so.

If doing this, do follow the BSI reset though and after the battery has been disconnected, male sure to always remove the Quadlock connector first before the screen connector and reconnect the quadlock back up last.

This would at least also rule out a connection issue at the back.

Marc