C5 X7 Lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hayden641946
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2010 Exclusive 3.0 L V6 DTT

C5 X7 Lights

Post by hayden641946 »

Since buying my Citroen 2010 C5 3.0 HDi which I like very much , most of the time , my front lower driving lights have at times worked only one side , then none then the other side ???
Which I pulled the front off my car to work on the aircon condenser , I checked both bulbs and OK ! Since buying a LEXIA 3 from easydiagnistics , which I am still learning how to operate , I cannot find anything in the BMI to indicate a fault and still no lights . I have disconnected the battery to see if the system will reinitiate and still no good .
Next , check all fuses related , none blown !!!!!!

ANY IDEAS FROM owners of the same Citroen C5 Please ????

Thanks ,
Hayden
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Help if you can??

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First of all can we be clear on which exact lights you are referring to?

1) You have directional Xenon headlamps. The DRL (Daytime Running Lights) are incorporated into the headlamp unit as marked in red and yellow:
DRL.PNG
2) Or are you referring to the fog lights:
fog.PNG
or 3) are you referring to the Cornering Lighting shown below:
HP19.PNG
I suspect from your post that you may be referring to the angular / cornering lighting in the last picture and if this is correct, then the function you describe is normal behaviour. The cornering lighting operates when the headlamps are active and whist turning the steering wheel when stationary or at low speeds. They are designed to light up the corners of junctions or when going round twisty roads at low speeds. The left one operates when the steering wheel is turned left and the same for the right side when turned left, and the go off when the steering wheel is returned to the centre.

The lower fog lights incorporated into the indicator housing are simply fog lights that have to be activated manually and these operate with the main headlamps when you switch the fogs on.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
hayden641946
(Donor 2021)

Re: C5 X7 Lights

Post by hayden641946 »

Thanks Marc for clarifying a lot the lighting control with drgs and instructions . The fog lamps were what I thought , daytime running lamps !!!!
The running lamps have rever worked since I have owned the car .
I looked at the manual for light control and it didnt matter how I rotated B on the stalk , with headlights on , I could't get the front fog or rear fog lights to work ???
Any ideas ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok

1) The legal requirement for DRLs in the UK for the build date of your car were not in place at that time but were in many European countries. So, Citroen shipped them in the UK market with the DRLs deactivated. It was the same with mine. If you have Diagbox, you can activate them via BSI configuration (caution advised) or get the dealer to activate them for you. Once they have been enabled in the BSI, this then activates the option in the menu on the dash, once you press the left-hand wheel button in (the car must have the ignition on or engine running and be stationary):

When accessing the Lighting menu, the DRL option will be present if they are activated in the BSI. You may want to try this first to see if the option is there - in which case they have been activated and you can just enable them here. Just scroll the same wheel and press to activate or deactivate an option.
Hayden DRL.PNG
2) Fog lights. These should be working fine. All you have to do is have the engine running, then activate the main headlamps. Then on the lighting stalk, there is an 'inner barrel' which you rotate once forward to activate rear fog lights, then a second forward rotation to activate the front ones. Repeat this in reverse to deactivate them:- roll the inner barrel back wards to turn off the front fogs, then again for the rear fogs.

Whenever the main headlamps are switched off (i.e. with engine off if the lights are set to AUTO), then the fog lights will also automatically be switched off.

If you don't have the owner's manual, and want a PDF copy, let me know.

Marc
hayden641946
(Donor 2021)

Post by hayden641946 »

Thanks Marc for your effort in helping me . I got into the system through Lexia 3 , then BSI , then repair and got a different screen to what you have shown for lighting . I looked everywhere so I just tried to configure what I could find , which was Presence of front fog lamps . I also configured Presence of four position lighting stalk .
Then configured fog lights using the two cogs . Started the engine and set rear which showed a green light on dash then front showing an orange light got out and both front and rear working perfectly !
There is nothing saying Daytime - running lamps or Guide - me - home lamps , only Presence of parking lamps , which I set to yes and configured but it did not make the Daytime - running lamps work ???? Any more ideas please ??????
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, some confusion here....

Be VERY careful what you change in the BSI - some options are not what they seem - and are for different vehicles (like Peugeot) that share the same BSI but have different systems for both displaying and communicating information displays and how they handle options which are dependent on the type of displays and dash and other equipment / options fitted. Some things may seem like they are incorrect, but are in fact correct for the C5 X7 and there is no 'undo' option, so whatever you do make a screen shot before you change anything so you can revert it back again. If you change even one thing not intended for the X7, you can cause the car to become unstable and exhibit weird behaviour.

The menu above in my screenshot is not from the Lexia - it is from the car's main dashboard LCD display in between the speedo and rev counter. That menu is accessible without needing Lexia at all.

The only reason you need Lexia is to enable that menu in the car's dash lighting menu for the DRL option to be there if it is not already. Please don't change any more options until you know what youa re doing Hayden, as you could be actually causing problems.

I will locate the correct options for DRLs now that I know you are at this stage.

In the meantime, may I suggest you have a read of my post here:

viewtopic.php?t=60600

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For Daytime Running Lights

In Diagbox, when you have gone into the configuration - manual configuration menu, look for the following option:
Type of daytime running lamps
The following option should be selected from the available choices: Dedicated daytime running lamps

Save that configuration, then back up and then locate the following section:

Lighting of the day running lamps by default
Select the following option Yes

After making that configuration, back up and locate the following:

Simultaneous lighting of the day running lamps and sidelamps
Configure this to No
Make the configuration change and then exit back out of the menus and close the session.

Switch the ignition off and leave it for a minute, then start the vehicle, and check the in-car dash menu activated by the press on the left hand steering wheel barrel scrolling button to activate the menu in my previous post, then go to the lighting menu. You should now see the option to activate or deactivate the DRLs.

Marc
hayden641946
(Donor 2021)

Post by hayden641946 »

Hi Mark ,
I have followed all your suggestions and taken photos of anything I have altered or tried to alter !!! I have activated the lights between Revs & speedo .
It doesn't matter where I look I can't find the screens you have shown to activate the daytime running lights . I will try and add three photos and see if you can make sense out of them . Every other light seems to work on the X7 !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That would help - use the 'Full Editor & Preview' button when replying, then you can select the 'Attachments' button and add files from your PC or phone, then use the 'Place' button to place them where you want in your post response inline with your text.

Just to clarify, DRLs must first be activated using the diagnostic tool (Diagbox or Lexia) using the options listed in my previous post to activate the DRL option in the car's instrument panel LCD lighting menu which is where you can activate or deactivate them easily in future.

I suspect if you still do not have the DRL option coming up in the lighting menu, then you have not enabled them in the BSI using the diagnostic tool. You may not have actually changed and saved the configuration.

I may have a better idea once you put some photos up.

Marc
hayden641946
(Donor 2021)

Post by hayden641946 »

As I have said in my previous message , I have activated .....THE DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS , Guide me home lamps & Directional headlamps on the dash ! How do I find type of Daytime running lamps , all the types of lighting you have shown are not available from
LIGHTING SIGNALLING page so how do I find them please ???
I am 75 years old and a bit slow on the computer but I get there eventually !
Attachments
20210612_162011.jpg
20210612_161938.jpg
20210612_160629.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so if you have already got the DRL option on the dashboard Lighting menu of the car, then you should not need to do anything else in Diagbox.

If you have enabled the option in the car LCD menu, then the DRLs should be active with the engine running and the main lighting on AUTO or as long as the headlights are switched off. The DRLs are designed to switch of on this model and year when the main headlamps are switched on.

Marc
hayden641946
(Donor 2021)

Post by hayden641946 »

Hi Marc
I have done evrything you suggested and still no daytime running lamps working when engine running and switch set to auto lights !!!!
I do have the sidelamps at front and tail lights , number plate lights working while driving . I sent you photos of the BSI I have for lights , nothing like what you have shown !????
On the 5 th June you sent me a list of the daytime running lamps and what to activate !!! As I said in my reply on 14 th june , they are no where to be found .
If you would tell me in detail how to find this page , I may be able to get running lights working !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hayden - the reason I am confused is because you said 2 posts ago you had activated the DRLs and the Guide Me Home lamps on the “Dash”. The menu on the instrument panel accessed by the steering wheel scroll button would show the picture I posted earlier (white writing on black background). If you have the DRL option shown on this screen on instrument panel LCD, then as far as I can tell they are activated. Bear in mind you do need to put a tick against the option using the scroll wheel and pressing the wheel on each option to tick or untick the option. My picture above shows all 3 options unticked. Please confirm you have done this.

If the DRL option in the black picture is not present, they are not activated - then we need to check with Diagbox again. There may be a further section that needs checking.

Having said that, the different software versions of Diagbox can be different in terms of options and layout of menus, so this is why there isn’t a straight and simple answer to configuring it.

For this reason, if you prefer, I could connect with your laptop remotely using TeamViewer and locate the options for you when you have Diagbox connected up to the car.

I think that would be the simplest and quickest way. Let me know.

Marc
hayden641946
(Donor 2021)

Post by hayden641946 »

Marc
I have ticked the three options between the speedo on the 14 th June !
I have checked the EasyDiagnostic YouTube site and they say that the Lexia 3 & Diagbox will not work on Windows 10 with 64 bit system , which is what I have on my computer .
That is unusual as I have been able to alter a lot so far but that be why I cannot get the BSI screen to show DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS . What do you think ?? If this is the case I will never have running lights . I thank you for offering to remote connect to my computer but it may never work with my syatem !!! Hayden
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, some facts first:

Diagbox is the main programme for later vehicles (circa post 2008). It also contains the older software (Lexia for Citroen vehicles & Peugeot Planet 2000 for Peugeot vehicles that are earlier than 2008 approx.) Diagbox launches the most appropriate software for the vehicle automatically.

As for Windows 10 and 64 bit systems, the Lexia and PP2000 software components (that you don't need for your C5 X7) won't work on any 64 bit system due to them being 16 bit applications and the therefore the code used to write them back in the day.

As for Diagbox, this should work on Windows 10 32 bit no problem and even some 64 bit users have said it will work, so I've found this to be a bit hit and miss.

However, you already have been into the BSI, so it shows in your case it will work. So let's park that point for now.

I can only assume that there may be an option missing or incorrectly configured parameter, hence my offer to dial in and sort it out. Up to you - it only takes a minute to install Teamviewer and a few seconds to connect.

Marc