Re: 307cc DPF fluid top up, pouch or tank?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)
1995 Peugeot 106 Roland Garros (converted from petrol to 1.4 diesel)
1963 Triumph based Spartan Roadster kit car 2.5 litre.
2002 Peugeot 307 Rapier 2.0 HDi (In daily use)
2006 Peugeot 307cc Hdi Sport (Getting it ready for the summer)

Post by clydeowenp »

I brought my 307cc from an independent dealer in London, price had been reduced several times as dealer took it in PX. He doesn't usually sell diesel cars due to the LEZ and ULEZ charges making them difficult to sell. Car was to be sold with new MOT but failed on emissions, their mechanic eventually got it to pass after several attempts. Dealer took it home to test it but it went into limp mode on the motorway showing an anti pollution fault.. They changed the fuel and air filters and reset the codes but when I arrived they hadn't tested it. I didn't think that would cure it, however, they offered me a further discount if I took it as is. I took a chance as they had done several advisories which saved me a fair few quid.

I drove the car home but after about half an hour on the motorway it lost power, still doing 70mph but no power to overtake, anti pollution warning came up a few minutes later. I wasn't far from the services so i pulled in and phoned the RAC thinking they may be able to fix it or tell me what the problem was. RAC tried to do a forced regeneration but got a message saying this was not possible as DPF fluid was low. They advised me not to drive it as it may cause damage so they recovered me home.

I'm sure I can solve this with some help from FCF but my first problem is finding a workshop manual. Haynes manual doesn't cover 307cc, sport or 16v models, anyone know where I can get one? I thought locating the DPF tank or pouch would be a good start so I rang the Peugeot dealer to find out if it has a tank or pouch and how much the fluid is. They told me it has a pouch Part No. 9690680808 so I jacked the car up yesterday to locate it and the DPF filter, please see photos. I assume the silencer shaped thing is the DPF filter and the steel pipe connecting to the exhaust in front of it is to do with the pressure sensing system and assume there's another one the other side of the filter. I thought I'd remove, clean and check it and if necessary replace it. Looks like it's held together with 4 nuts and looks easy to remove, rusty nuts & bolts permitting. I'm also assuming the small black box behind the fuel tank is the DPF tank, but dealer said it's a pouch, is the pouch inside this box or it the box the tank? It seems to have a quick fit connector with a small pipe at one end and and a connector with 3 wires above it which I assume is a sensor. I removed the strap but something on top seems to be holding it, tried to see if I can get access from inside, under the back seat, but not been able to work out how the seat is fixed in. Looks like there are fixings round the edge of the box (tank) which makes me think this is a box with removable cover that holds the pouch. To get this out looks like I may need to remove the strengthening brace which doesn't look like it's been removed for years! I don't want to force anything as I'm afraid if I break something it'll be expensive or not available.

I'm assuming the object in the photos is the DPF filter but where is the cat? I'm assuming it has one.
Vin No. is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
I've not had a car with DPF filter before and don't have a manual to read up on it, utube not much help so please excuse my lack of knowledge of this system.
PICT6721.JPG
PICT6722.JPG
PICT6723.JPG
PICT6724.JPG
PICT6725.JPG
PICT6726.JPG
PICT6727.JPG
PICT6728.JPG
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 17 Jul 2020, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Images and combined into original post.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Re: 307cc DPF fluid top up, pouch or tank?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You do have a pouch system in this vehicle, but the part number you have is not a a valid part number.

Be aware that you will need access to a 'Lexio Kit' with Peugeot Planet 2000 or Diagbox software in order to reset the additive counter after you replace the pouch. If you don't, the Engine ECU will not be aware that you have replaced the pouch, and as a consequence you will still be in reduced power mode and have the fault codes.

Before taking the DPF off, again, you really should get it diagnosed with the same equipment to see whether the filter itself is ok. This will depend on mileage of course. Cleaning it needs extreme care as if you damage the special cement inside it will break up and become useless. You can never fully clean these anyway as they are highly porous. The engine oil deposits, carbon and Cerine from the additive cannot be fully removed by cleaning.

As you probably know by now Clyde, PSA charge us for parts info from March this year, so if you want accurate parts info and parts diagrams, a £10 Forum donation is required that will cover you for up to 2 years. Details below:
A response to your question by a forum admin will require detailed vehicle information that requires you to have made a current contribution to the Forum.
Donate

Further Information
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Special cement or special ceramic, Marc?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Cement

Original Silicon Carbide DPFs are used by the majority of manufacturers. There are smaller DPF cores and larger DPF cores. Where the DPF uses larger cores, they are made in segments and due to the high coefficient of linear expansion, a special cement is used to hold them together that allows them to expand. High pressure washers or bashing these about can damage the cement and ruin the DPF.

Marc
clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)

Post by clydeowenp »

Done now, no internet or landline since Friday PM so unable to do anything! Lorry hit the telegraph pole up the road and ripped out the wires, which BT idiots had run up the road side of the pole!
Sorry, typed the number in wrong, number dealer wrote down for me was 9678080680, don't know where the other number came from. I found this number in ebay listings but the vehicle compatibility checker says it won't fit my car.
I've heard that there are at least 2 types of fluid and one aftermarket manufacturer claims their fluid is suitable for all. Don't want to pay dealer prices if I can avoid it but I don't want to use anything that may cause damage, is there a cheaper alternative? I've also heard the pouches are prone to leaking, is this an issue on my car?
I've looked on ebay and from what I can see the DPF is secured to the cat with 4 nuts & bolts, is that correct? After reading your comments I think I'll leave the DPF well alone until it causes a problem, then I'll try to clean it and if that fails or I break it I'll replace it. The utube video I watched of how to clean a DPF showed it being treated very roughly and cleaned with a jet wash! After reading your comments I'm glad I didn't follow that procedure!
I think I need to start with the fluid pouch, which I assume is inside the black box next to the fuel tank. I'm assuming it will be easier to separate the 2 halves of the the housing if I take it off the car but how do I take it off? Seems to be held at the top but don't want to force it, some instructions and an exploded diagram would be a great help.
Once I get this sorted out I'm sure I'll need help with many other things, especially as I can't get a workshop manual. I recon over the next 2 years I'll well & truly get more than my £10 worth!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's more like it :-D 9678080680 is correct and that is a pouch and the additive is called Eolys 176. It is currently selling at Peugeot for £184.44 inc. VAT.

Normally with the rigid reservoirs, certain generations of additives cannot be mixed together or it will cause damage to the system. In your case you have a soft pouch, so the whole thing is replaced, which negates this problem.

So Eolys 176 is no longer sold, and Powerflex is the fluid that is specified for the part number and comes in a 3 litre soft pouch.

I'll put something up tomorrow for you on how to replace the pouch.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I actually found this to demonstrate getting the tank off - so will be quicker for you to see. Now bear in mind that these 'chaps' have refilled the pouch - which is not recommended - not least because the pouch can tear getting it in and out of the assembly and this stuff is nasty being toxic. You don't want this on your skin or to breathe the fumes and it's combustible.

So you can just replace the pouch and reattach everything - t hen of course you will need to reset the additive counter to zero using Peugeot Planet 2000 or Diagbox.

Marc
clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)

Post by clydeowenp »

PICT6740.JPG
PICT6740.JPG
PICT6737.JPG
PICT6734.JPG
PICT6729.JPG
Watched the video and seems straightforward. Video shows a cover over the fluid pouch housing, should mine have one? If so then it's missing, could you give me a part number?
I know topping up isn't recommended but I got a genuine Peugeot top up kit for £60, new, unused and seals not broken. Whether I use it or not depends on what I find when I take it apart. If I don't use it I'm sure I can move it on and get my money back, seen these listed for over £150.
Will Powerflex safely mix with Eolys 176? Kit I got is marked Eolys Powerflux so I assume it contains the Powerflux replacement fluid. I don't know what the system contains or when it was last changed as these last a long time. I assume the system contains Eolys 176 so if I put Powerflux in the pouch or replace the pouch with one containing Powerflux will it do any harm?
I looked on ebay and all the pouches I found were 2.2 litre and although they have the correct part number the compatibility checker say they won't fit my vehicle. Is this because I should have a 3 litre pouch or is the checker wrong? I know these are often wrong and most sellers warn to check if unsure because of this. Photos of top up kit attached which show the part numbers if required.
Can't do the job this week because contractors are digging up everything in sight to replace gas mains, including my drive!
clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)

Post by clydeowenp »

I can't believe I posted this summer 2020, they say you're getting old when the years go by quicker and the policemen look younger!
I didn't log on for quite a long time then when I tried to I couldn't find French Car Forum anywhere. Tried several times over several months and thought you'd shut down, what happened?? Found you today when doing a general web search for Peugeot problem but couldn't log in, probably because I've not logged in for a while. Reset my password and here I am.
Just thought I'd let you know problem with 307cc DPF now fixed, Seems somebody changed DPF pouch and didn't reset counter. I had to repair the clips on the pouch holder, broken by somebody using brute force to get it apart (not me!). Finally managed to reset counter using Diagbox and even managed to program new keys, eventually. All seems well now and sailed through MOT only needing new front discs. Haven't plucked up courage to take it on a long journey yet but now the weather is warming up a blast down the motorway with the roof down will be irresistible! Thank you for all the help and information which made the work much easier.
Regards Clyde.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Glad you have resolved the issues - this sort of thing is all a bit too common and can leave the next owner out of pocket when things fail because of a previous owner's actions.

We in the meantime haven't gone anywhere Clyde. The Forum has been as busy as ever.

Marc