Does seat foam padding exists as spare part - C5 x7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Re: Does seat foam padding exists as spare part - C5 x7

Post by atr »

I'm trying to understand and I'm a bit confused. both - Marc and hell razor wrote that the pre tensioner is in the seat. to my humble opinion I think that has to be where the seat belt winding mechanism is, which means that it should be in the base of the column between the front and rear doors, where the seat belt is. I guess so because on the seat, the only thing is the buckle that the seat belt is connected to and you haven't mentioned the "sensor" that indicate the presence of a person in the seat. looking under the seat I can see tow wires that are going to the yellow connector, which I think are the wires from that "sensor". these are all assumptions based on my logic, which might be wrong, of course.
Avi
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The pre-tensioner is part of the latch strap that the safety belt clips into. It is fastened to the seat (so that, as you move the seat back or forwards it always remains available to clip the belt into). The inertia reel just won't allow the belt to be pulled at speed.

James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

atr wrote: 11 May 2019, 19:03 I'm trying to understand and I'm a bit confused. both - Marc and hell razor wrote that the pre tensioner is in the seat. to my humble opinion I think that has to be where the seat belt winding mechanism is, which means that it should be in the base of the column between the front and rear doors, where the seat belt is. I guess so because on the seat, the only thing is the buckle that the seat belt is connected to and you haven't mentioned the "sensor" that indicate the presence of a person in the seat. looking under the seat I can see tow wires that are going to the yellow connector, which I think are the wires from that "sensor". these are all assumptions based on my logic, which might be wrong, of course.
Avi
Avi, I didn’t say the pretensioner is in the seat, I said it is in the anchor point. In the X7, the pretensioners are incorporated into the B pillars in the reel system. So yes behind the trims in the pillar between the front and rear seats. The seat belt buckle unit on all seat belts has a switch that informs the seat belt control unit when they are connected or not.

The wires under the seats will be the airbag connections and the wiring to the buckle switch.
9D9504DA-1CAC-47C8-92BB-14500823BC46.jpeg
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Thank you all for all the explanations. I new nothing about the pre tensioner and I'm always amazed by the knowledge of the members (especially Marc with all the drawings) and their willingness to share it and help. I've turned today to Citroen's rep here in Israel regarding the cushion - maybe they have it (I don't believe that there was a big demand for it).
Avi
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

A funny thought came to my mind. after searching for a seat in a few break yards, I found that it is a common phenomena (at least on C5 X7) that the left side of the driver's seat collapses - please take into consideration that I'm talking about LHD vehicles and the passenger's seat are in fair condition, so what I was thinking about is that it's likely possible that in the UK it's just the opposite. the driver's RHD side seat will be in this troubled situation, while the passenger's seat will be in a fairly good condition. so, what I would like to ask is if you know a breaker in the UK where I might find a seat in a good condition.
Thanx.
Avi
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes - it's the same - the seat that gets the most wear is often always the driver seat regardless of LHD / RHD.

People have a habit of sitting on the side bolster as they get in that weakens it. I have full leather and that is fine - but then I make sure I sit onto the seat directly as I get in and not on the side bolster and slide over.

You'll have to search - but as the seats are usually sold complete I expect it to be very costly to ship as it's a bulky item. As you don't have the leather, it will probably be more cost effective to repair and replace / build up the bolster with foam and restitch / use a seat cover.

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The seat base foam on mine collapsed not long after I got the car. The issue on mine was that the sprung wire frame base had cut right into the foam.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

The problem is, Marc, that I've been to a few vehicle upholster shops and was told by every each and one of them that they can't repair the seat because the fabric is somehow glued/combined with the foam, so it can't be taken apart. if you know/have an idea how to overcome this obstacle, please let me know. I was even thinking to buy a seat, even in bad condition as I've mentioned before, just to try and take it apart somehow, trying to learn how it's done.
You've mentioned that it would be bulky to ship it. that's right. what I meant is to buy the seat but only to ship the cushion. if I got it right, it can be separated from the seat and you've even provided me the part number of it.
Avi
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, the seat base is available (athough no longer available from Citroen parts now) - but it would be a matter of the breakers having to disassemble it for you as you say:
Avi Seat.PNG
Not great - but a DIY job here - but like I said you would need seat covers if you can't stitch it.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

atr wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:14 A funny thought came to my mind. after searching for a seat in a few break yards, I found that it is a common phenomena (at least on C5 X7) that the left side of the driver's seat collapses - please take into consideration that I'm talking about LHD vehicles and the passenger's seat are in fair condition, so what I was thinking about is that it's likely possible that in the UK it's just the opposite. the driver's RHD side seat will be in this troubled situation, while the passenger's seat will be in a fairly good condition. so, what I would like to ask is if you know a breaker in the UK where I might find a seat in a good condition.
Thanx.
Avi
That is not a bad idea to be fair, depends on what the cost of trying to get the original seat refurbished would be.
If we you look at it in reverse ie getting a LHD passenger seat to the UK and compare the costs involved....................................

Going to look into this cost wise assuming that Citroen will have put in place different plugs for L/R seats regardless to which seat had the steering wheel in front of it, air bags will be on the outer side so cannot swap them L/R
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Admiral51 wrote:Going to look into this cost wise assuming that Citroen will have put in place different plugs for L/R seats regardless to which seat had the steering wheel in front of it, air bags will be on the outer side so cannot swap them L/R
Are there airbag/s in the seat?
Avi
Last edited by myglaren on 09 Nov 2019, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote tags
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, side air bags and curtain airbags Avi:
Airbags.PNG

Marc
Cutac
My Cars: 2011 B7 Citroen C4 1.4 VTi
2006 Citroen C4 2.0 VTS

Post by Cutac »

Why don't you ask an upholstery shop to make a new base? Give them your old one and using it as a model, they should be able to make a new foam piece and then upholster it.
It wouldn't be cheap, but it's doable.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Cutac wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 11:16 Why don't you ask an upholstery shop to make a new base? Give them your old one and using it as a model, they should be able to make a new foam piece and then upholster it.
It wouldn't be cheap, but it's doable.
It sounds a lot easier than it actually is........the material is bonded directly onto the foam and unless the repairer/manufacturer has the equipment & ability to re-bond your original cloth onto the new base this is a no goer. I have had my base off and carried out a repair, by filling the void created by the crumbling foam with foam from a local shop (Dunelm [-X ). The problem is that the side wall not bulges a bit. I have found what specification the seat foam has to be and when I get a time to spend a day in my garage I will redo the job now I know what to expect. Once done I will post my findings & results.
For those who want to know see the attached in respect to the foam grade required. Taken from here https://www.euromoulders.org/publicatio ... 3084701e1d
Attachments
Seat foam spec.
Seat foam spec.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Cutac
My Cars: 2011 B7 Citroen C4 1.4 VTi
2006 Citroen C4 2.0 VTS

Post by Cutac »

I'm not sure you'd quite understood me. I'm talking about a upholstery shop that has a 3D scanner(or a very eager CAD designer) so they can scan the existing pad with upholstery on top of it. Then they get the correct foam specification(which you had linked) and machine the seat base out of it(minus the thickness of the upholstery), or 3D print it. Then they upholster it.

I'm talking about a brand new, redesigned, seat pad. There's a shop in Croatia who does that and who I'm planning to take my seats to if heating elements turn out to be faulty. It would cost me around 800-1000 Euros for a brand new seat pads that look exactly like mine and can be more than easily reupholstered in the future.
In case a customer can provide proper scheme or 3D printer model, it can be done in a few days for not much money.

There's got to be a shop that can do that in the UK.