Is upgrading RD43 to RD45 feasible?

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

timtam
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2 HDI

Re: Is upgrading RD43 to RD45 feasible?

Post by timtam »

EDC5 wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 15:51 I replaced my RD4 with a RD45 that I bought on ebay, the handsfree is entirely handled by the RD45 unit (over bluetooth) and no external devices are required.

I also had to replace the multifunction screen too as mine was too old to show the USB and Bluetooth menus however with your radio being the RD43 it may already have the newer screen in which case you will only need the new headunit.
I have recent purchased a Citroen c5 2006. I would like to do the rd4 to rd45 upgrade. All the RD45 units I see online have 4 mounting screws from the front, but my RD4 only has 2. I think the dimensions are different too, the RD45 has a smaller front?? Just wondering if I am looking at the wrong rd45, or people who upgrade just deal with the cosmetic differences? These differences aside, all other functions such as reverse warnings still work? Thanks in advance for any feedback. The main feature I am trying to gain is BT hands free. I am aware of units you can plug into aux or CD stacker of RD4 but would prefer an RD45 if others are having success!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Welcome Tim or Tam or TimTan :-D

You have a MK II C5 and these are different units, as the ones in the topic you are referring to are for the MK II C5 X7 - they have completely different Head units to the MK II. These are not compatible with the MK II.

Unfortunately you will need to make use of an aftermarket device like a Yatour or similar that can utilise the CD Changer port on the RD4 Head Unit on your C5. It links to a unit that can mimic a CD Changer, allowing you to play MP3 audio files. Depending on the model, some also provide a bluetooth function that links to your mobile for streaming via the unit and passes this onto the car.

Link here for an example on the UK site of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yatour-Digital ... B014SQ7Z3Q
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
timtam
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2 HDI

Post by timtam »

Marc.
Thanks for your kind words and quick response!
I will now have a closer look at the Yatour....
Cheers
Tim