P2A00

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GORAX
Donor 2024

P2A00

Post by GORAX »

Hello everyone,

I get the message via Diagbox but the service light is not on. The check engine light doesn't come on either. My car was regenerated last week. There was a lot of white smoke with a smell of ammonia coming out of the exhaust for 1 hour. My engine is often at high speed. I think he is in regeneration more often. I found a nox probe replacement part but it was very expensive. Cheapest original is 240 euros. You can get them on Aliexpress for 80 euros but how good are they?

I have used google translate sorry.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: P2A00

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you are getting confused as you are talking about regeneration in one sentence and ammonia / NOx in another sentence. These are 2 different systems that have separate and independent functions.

The SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system uses Adblue injected into the catalytic converter to treat and convert the NOx gases into water and then there is the Diesel particle filter system that captures the particulate matter and burns these off during regeneration. Eolys fluid is added to the fuel tank whenever you add diesel, and assisted regeneration by lowering the exhaust gas temperature required to regenerate the filter.

In the case of this specific fault (P2A00), it is referring to the Upstream NOx sensor, which may be loose and checks are required and to tighten it up if necessary
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

Thank you! It's really difficult to find someone who will explain it to me like that. The NOX sensor doesn't have to be defective, it could just be loose or a cable problem?

What exactly is causing this ammonia and white smoke?

What do you think about the spare parts from China or from Aliexpress?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so the Adblue is a UREA solution and the smell of ammonia is symptomatic of a leak of the adblue. So with this fault code, it is requesting a check of the upstream NOx sensor assembly to make sure it it tight and properly secured. If not, the adblue is at risk of leaking out onto the hot exhaust and will create the ammonia smell / vapour. Apart from this, you will very soon start to empty your Adblue tank and then you'll aave the added problem of the engine starting prohibition warning if it gets too low.

I wouldn't leave this too long to be honest, as you don't want to be topping up the Adblue tank all the time.

As for spare parts from Ali or China - I would not personally buy anything like this from those places. You may not even have to - it might be that the sensor needs checking and the assembly tightening up.

Marc
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

Where can I find a construction print to see exactly where this sensor is located?

Is it normal for the service light or check engine light not to come on when there is a problem like this?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, not every fault results in an engine management warning lamp.

If you require official part numbers or parts diagrams, please see below:

We can help if you need an original genuine part number, part diagram or factory build sheet and can't already find the info you need on the Forum. For this service, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then provide your vehicle's VIN in full, which will be masked automatically when you submit your post.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or specific vehicle information requires you
to have made a current contribution
(Min. £10 / €11.48 or equivalent) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here

Marc
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

I have donate 10 Euro now. Is it okay?
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

+ 2 euro
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi. Thanks for your Forum Donation.

Ok, so your vehicle is a Euro 5 emissions standard, so does not have all the additional sensors with later Euro 6.* vehicles, so please understand that there are sensors shown on the diagram that your vehicle does not have fitted.

Your vehicle only has 1 NOx sensor (downstream), so this is the one I suspect that needs to be checked.
gorax NOx.png
The NOx sensor is shown at (8) and is part number: 9821120980, £416.80 inc. UK 20% VAT.

Marc
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

Cool great! I'll take a look at it in the workshop next week and report back here.
According to the vehicle registration document, I have Euro6
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi

Yes this can be confusing as your engine (DW10FD) is a Euro 5 standard, but the overall vehicle is Euro 6.1. So it can be confusing, but as mentioned you don't have (7) Upstream NOx sensor or (12) Soot Sensor fitted to your vehicle.

Marc
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

Thanks! I will report back after check
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

Diagbox shows DPF is 38% full. Is this too much?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Remember that this value will change and vary as the filter starts to fill up, then falls back after it regenerates.

Marc
GORAX
Donor 2024

Post by GORAX »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 10 Jul 2024, 14:09 Remember that this value will change and vary as the filter starts to fill up, then falls back after it regenerates.
Ist this ok for now the 38 percent? I will give the DPF for wash and cleaning.