Rear Hieght Corrector Linkage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Rear Hieght Corrector Linkage

Post by Sloppysod »

I am trying to find a knocking noise that seems to come from the back of the car, more prevalent after a few miles.
Can't see anything obvious at the moment, however, should the rear height corrector linkage, anti-roll bar to corrector move lateral by 1-2mm?

Cheers
Attachments
Linkage
Linkage
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Rear Hieght Corrector Linkage

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure I follow Stu the arrow shows vertical movement which is normal practice for the linkage or am I missing something?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 May 2023, 15:24 I'm not sure I follow Stu the arrow shows vertical movement which is normal practice for the linkage or am I missing something?
Sorry, should have been more accurate with my description.....
When I hold it, between my fingers, it moves 1-2mm up and down without the corrector or anti roll bar moving, do the end cups wear?
As I said I trying to narrow down a knocking noise and this is the only thing I can find that's loose. .
Cheers
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The angular pickup (vertical item in your photo) connects between the sensor and the Anti-Rollbar Lever via snap in ball joints. To my knowledge these should be relatively compact and tight fitting, not loose.
rear HC.PNG
Item (10) (the angular pickup link), part: 527381, £7.68 hasn't been changed, but (11) (the anti roll bar lever) has been superseded with part: 1687269980, £304.74 :shock: :shock:

So may be worth a punt on the angular pick up as that has the plastic fixing that encases the ball joints at each end and hopefully will be a lot tighter on a new one!

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

Cheers Marc, I will get in touch with my local Citroën garage and order one Monday.
Hopefully they are still available 🤞🤞 and it turns out this is where my knocking comes from🤞🤞
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries - they are still available Stu.

Marc
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)

Post by citroenguy »

To my knowledge the linkage dont make any noise.
More probable is the anti-roll bar drop links.
Other possible faults are any of the bushes or problem with the spheres
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

citroenguy wrote: 14 May 2023, 09:16 To my knowledge the linkage dont make any noise.
More probable is the anti-roll bar drop links.
Other possible faults are any of the bushes or problem with the spheres
Thanks, I did look, with my crowbar, at all the bushes but couldn't find any play anywhere, which is why I'm picking on the link, if it fixes it for less than a tenner, 👍, if not........

Suppose, it wouldn't hurt to have another, more aggressive, look before I order the link, just to make sure 🤔

It was only MOT'd a couple of weeks ago so it's not critical, just annoying. 😡
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Post by aerodynamica »

I hate to say it but it's unlikely to be that link causing knocking. It doesn't have a heavy job to move the height sensor and so there's just not enough forces in it to cause any slack that would result in audible knocks. Like the others said it's gonna be something like a bush or joint.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's hard to say without hearing the type of knock or how loud it is to be honest.

Don't forget that the rear suspension has a multi-link setup and we mostly tend to focus on the front - but the rear has multiple bushings and mountings:
x7 rear geo.PNG

Marc
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

I did think you'd be doing well to hear that tiny thing clanking up and down even if did prove to be rather sloppy (sod) but equally shouldn't have loads of play.

I've not found (front, on other cars 306, 406, 206) anti roll bar drop links that obvious with play under a "look" with a crow bar in my experience. Normally only able to register noticible play if removed, clamp one end in the vice then pull and shove at the rod, can just make out the slack then, despite being very obvious clanking when driving along. Obviously drop links often need a bit of violent persuasion to remove, so not always in a fit state to put back if was no play found under my described test! :-D
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

Matt, re your test, it's like the bulb test, a blown bulb bounces!.....
As my car is 12 years old stripping things off to bench test is not my chosen approach
My crowbar method in the past has identified worn joints & bushes, as I don't just lever, I look aswell and sometimes hold the joint being inspected at the same time. But it's not infailable.
Graeme - the more I think and read the more I'm doubting the link arm.
Marc thanks for the diagram..

Initially I thought it was the spare wheel or exhaust knocking, but it wasn't.
What I can't workout why it is more noticeable after I had been driving for a few miles.
It's not loud or consistent, it's just annoying!

Update @ 15:22 - KNOCK IDENTIFIED 99%
I think I have found the culprit.
You were all right - O/S/R, Anti Roll-bar, Drop Link, Lower joint.
With rear wheels in the air on stands, suspension on low:-
When I lever the Offside rear wheel up and & down, I hear the knock.
If I wrap my hand around the lower tie rod joint the knock stops, I let go and the knock is back again, holding the top joint makes no difference.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿