2010 C5 Coolant leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bonfire

2010 C5 Coolant leak

Post by bonfire »

Hello, I'm new here and tried using search, but as there are many C5's and I am not sure what I am looking for. I have a 2010 Citroen C5 HDi 2.0 VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

So I definitely have a leak, the water is coming from somewhere near the rear of the engine. At first I removed the plastic pipe on the bottom, thinking it was that as the fluid was flowing down it. That turned out to be, maybe, for the oil cooler? Anyway, I can't really see any further up there to see what it could be.
I don't really want to be laying on the floor in the rain, so thought I would ask for possible help here.

So my three questions are;
What is back there to be leaking water faster than I can put it in?
Is it possible to fix without removing the engine?
Finally, is it terminal?

Any help, assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2010 C5 Coolant leak

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you sure this is not simply the Air Conditioning water evacuation pipe? You will commonly see a trail of water running from under the car and this is normal if nothing else.

However if it gushing out faster that you can fill it then forget that.

So my thoughts are a burst pipe, failed water pump, leaking head gasket, EGR water cooler, outlet tank connections, water pipes etc. Locating the exact source is going to be important in helping diagnosis.

You need to determine if the leak is in the engine circuit or exterior to the engine circuit first of all.
bonfire

Post by bonfire »

I guess I have to get back underneath the car. I don't think its the head gasket as the oil is clean, unless it's leaking out of the block directly. What would be the easiest thing to remove so I can see? I think, from the underneath, I would have to remove the subframe, so I guess the top. I will take a dig at it tomorrow now.

Thank you for the assistance, at least I know there are things back there that need checking. :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, best to clean it all back and briefly start the car to try and determine source. Once you've done that I can maybe put some leak troubleshooting up.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

An old trick (that works with uncluttered engines) is to chalk a load of lines horizontally around the engine. Start the engine, wait a for a few moments, turn it off again. Now have a look at the chalk lines. With any luck the chalk will have been washed away in a place, helping you to narrow down where the leak is.
bonfire

Post by bonfire »

Well after trying to go top down to find the leak, there just isn't space to get down there. I looked again from the bottom, and without removing the sub-frame, there just isn't the visibility. Thanks for the help, but the car is off to the scrappy tomorrow.