2010 C5 Coolant leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bonfire
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 Saloon

2010 C5 Coolant leak

Post by bonfire »

Hello, I'm new here and tried using search, but as there are many C5's and I am not sure what I am looking for. I have a 2010 Citroen C5 HDi 2.0 VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

So I definitely have a leak, the water is coming from somewhere near the rear of the engine. At first I removed the plastic pipe on the bottom, thinking it was that as the fluid was flowing down it. That turned out to be, maybe, for the oil cooler? Anyway, I can't really see any further up there to see what it could be.
I don't really want to be laying on the floor in the rain, so thought I would ask for possible help here.

So my three questions are;
What is back there to be leaking water faster than I can put it in?
Is it possible to fix without removing the engine?
Finally, is it terminal?

Any help, assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2010 C5 Coolant leak

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you sure this is not simply the Air Conditioning water evacuation pipe? You will commonly see a trail of water running from under the car and this is normal if nothing else.

However if it gushing out faster that you can fill it then forget that.

So my thoughts are a burst pipe, failed water pump, leaking head gasket, EGR water cooler, outlet tank connections, water pipes etc. Locating the exact source is going to be important in helping diagnosis.

You need to determine if the leak is in the engine circuit or exterior to the engine circuit first of all.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bonfire

Post by bonfire »

I guess I have to get back underneath the car. I don't think its the head gasket as the oil is clean, unless it's leaking out of the block directly. What would be the easiest thing to remove so I can see? I think, from the underneath, I would have to remove the subframe, so I guess the top. I will take a dig at it tomorrow now.

Thank you for the assistance, at least I know there are things back there that need checking. :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, best to clean it all back and briefly start the car to try and determine source. Once you've done that I can maybe put some leak troubleshooting up.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

An old trick (that works with uncluttered engines) is to chalk a load of lines horizontally around the engine. Start the engine, wait a for a few moments, turn it off again. Now have a look at the chalk lines. With any luck the chalk will have been washed away in a place, helping you to narrow down where the leak is.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bonfire

Post by bonfire »

Well after trying to go top down to find the leak, there just isn't space to get down there. I looked again from the bottom, and without removing the sub-frame, there just isn't the visibility. Thanks for the help, but the car is off to the scrappy tomorrow.
Gastomato
Donor 2023
My Cars: Citroën C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 136 - "The Ambassadore"
Citroën Xanthia Activa 2.0 i Turbo CT/LPG "The Gas Tomato" (Prev. owned- still in the family)

Post by Gastomato »

Instead of starting a new thread, I will post my request in this one hoping for a happier ending!

Indeed I have a 2010 C5, and lo and behold- it has begun to leak its coolant :shock:
Tuning in the from the soon-to-be very cold country of Norway, I am hoping to get this fixed and, hopefully at not too high a cost.

I discovered the leak coming from the back left-hand side of the motor, trickling down the inside of the left side front wheel. Very red, very coolanty smell! Looking from above into the motor, I can see a pipe or hose bend that is covered in a mixture dirt and red fluid below the brake booster:
IMG_8306.jpg
IMG_8307.jpg
I had a local garage look at it and they came back with some photos as well a part diagram with the suspected faulty/leaking part: 6466RK (number 11 is circled on the parts diagram) The diagram was sent from the nearest Citroen dealer/garage, which my local garage had been in contact with for some advice.
IMG_8314.jpg
What gets me is that, the local Citroen dealer/garage have no experience with this and could not put a timeframe on the repair and the claimed they did not have the instructions for the correct procedure. Furthermore, the part in question ( 6466RK) was unavailable.

OK, I get it- my car is getting old, but I was hoping to have it a couple of years more. Its mileage is only 165000 km and the whole family loves this car. Hope you guys can help. VIN number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

All the best,
-Idar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

According to my live data that part IS still available from Citroen, using their own live parts database. It is not marked as NFP, which indicates it is available.

https://peugeotcitroendsparts.com/produ ... 466rk.html

Marc
Gastomato
Donor 2023
Citroën Xanthia Activa 2.0 i Turbo CT/LPG "The Gas Tomato" (Prev. owned- still in the family)

Post by Gastomato »

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark- That looks like good news!

I was told by the garage that they only did a visual check from above and below with the left front wheel taken off. They could not reach the part directly, and there is not much space to move around in there. Is there a procedure or a better parts diagram that could shed some light on getting closer for inspection and hopefully changing the part? Could the brake booster be taken off, or something along that line?

Cheers,
-Idar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They should have the technical info to do this as a dealer - as they have access to the official documentation. As with so many things like this though, without dismantling everything else in the way, they can't be certain and that will involve labour to do so.

Marc
Gastomato
Donor 2023

Post by Gastomato »

That is true, no way of knowing exactly without some dismantlig and a deeper dive.

My motive for this request was actually that i know someone with a private garage that can help with the initial probing and dissasembly.

Do you have any technical documentation and some parts diagrams to help for some initial DIY?
nocturnal
My Cars: 2012 Citroen C5 VTR+ NAV 120kW 163bhp Diesel

Post by nocturnal »

I'm still wondering what caused my coolant leak on my 2012 C5 X7 and coming from the upper rear of the engine where nor me nor mechanic could find it.

He ended up putting sealant in it and it worked so far.
Gastomato
Donor 2023

Post by Gastomato »

nocturnal wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 23:21 I'm still wondering what caused my coolant leak on my 2012 C5 X7 and coming from the upper rear of the engine where nor me nor mechanic could find it.

He ended up putting sealant in it and it worked so far.
Didn't think of sealant before... Maybe I should give that a try. I thought Bar's Leaks and the like was only for older systems (have used it with success on my old Ford Tractor before) Does anyone know of the right sealant type for a 2010 Citroen C5? I currently use Mannol AF12+ red coolant.
Will the cooling system need to be drained afterwards?

Cheers,
-Idar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

PSA recommend Forte Cooling System Sealant.
nocturnal
My Cars: 2012 Citroen C5 VTR+ NAV 120kW 163bhp Diesel

Post by nocturnal »

I don't know what brand my mechanic used, no you don't drain the coolant after but mine was mostly water from temporarily topping up so I needed to drain out the water and reolace it with coolant, the same Mannol AF12+ stuff as you.