Upper ball joint stuck - Citroen C5 X7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cedrichn

Upper ball joint stuck - Citroen C5 X7

Post by cedrichn »

Hello! Happy Easter!

Like some I guess, I used this long weekend to refresh the suspension on my C5 X7.

Surprisingly, the lower ball joint was easy to replace, but the upper one is completely stuck... I do have the good socket, tried with a 1 meter extension...and it even broke my extension! Any advise ? I am thinking of buying a powerful impact driver, or buying a complete "arm/pivot" from breaker...

Thanks!
IMG_20220417_125642_6.jpg
IMG_20220417_124724_5.jpg
Stewart(oily)

Re: Upper ball joint stuck - Citroen C5 X7

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Heat the thing up with a hot air gun or blowlamp,or borrow a good impact wrench for a few minutes, I borrowed a large milwaukee one from a mate that can loosen 35mm hub nuts in a trice, in extremis I have resorted to cutting the old balljoint to pieces and using a stillson on the last bits, though that was the act of a desperate man. good luck.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Heat...but that is an aluminium carrier, I'd say 50/50 at best the threads will not come out with it. I recall someone having that trouble with a C6 joint and having to replace the carrier.
cedrichn

Post by cedrichn »

Thanks for the feedbacks. Already tried heat, and made no difference....
I am now thinking of buying an impact gun/driver, but spending around £80 for a second one if it makes no difference will be a bit more annoying...
I am having a look at breakers around me now :D

I will not do the upper one on the other side :/
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

I think there is a specific spray that will break down that corrosion, you spray it and leave it for a few hours and with an impact gun it should come off.
KennyW
Donor 2022

Post by KennyW »

When I did mine I removed the strut assembly and fitted in vice.
Followed by heat penetrating fluid and breaker bar and 6 ft scaffolding pole.
Keep heating , spraying and applying steady pressure with breakerbar and extension it eventually broke the seal but was very dry with Aluminium oxide. Once moving I moved ball joint back and forward to help it off
cedrichn

Post by cedrichn »

Finnally got it!! Such a hard thing to do ... I think what helped me was to cut the ball joint short, so the heat could reach the thread better.

Now, I feel like the screw going through the pivot holder, at the top, can move... The bushes are not holding the screw tight into the pivot holder:is it normal? Doesn't feel like, but I can't see any part worn... As I am there, I would like to be sure before reinstalling everything :D

Thanks!
IMG_20220422_192525_3.jpg
IMG_20220423_130812_8.jpg