Suspension wont pump up - 2011 C5 (X7) 5 DOOR ESTATE 2.0 HDi 163 PEF ( DW10CTED4 )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NoelGourdie
Location: Currently in the North West corner of Dordogne France
My Cars: C5 2011 2.0 HDI 163ch Tourer. In NZ my wife has a 2005 1.6 petrol. We also have a 1983 Fiat 124 spider which we enjoy,

Suspension wont pump up - 2011 C5 (X7) 5 DOOR ESTATE 2.0 HDi 163 PEF ( DW10CTED4 )

Post by NoelGourdie »

Hi, We have just arrived in France from New Zealand. Our C5 has been in storage for the past two years. I have tried to get the car running. The engine is running beautifully but the suspension wont pump up. I can hear the pump running but it doesn't appear to pump any oil. I topped up the reservoir in case some oil had leaked somewhere. When I pressurised the reservoir with a bike pump I could hear a gurgling noise briefly but the height of the vehicle doesn't change when the pump was actuated with lexia even though I could hear the pump running when actuated. The pump continues to run for 30 secs or so after I turn the engine off. Is this likely to a bleeding issue or am I best to buy a second hand replacement pump? Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers Noel
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Suspension wont pump up - 2011 C5 (X7) 5 DOOR ESTATE 2.0 HDi 163 PEF ( DW10CTED4 )

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What was the battery condition of the car? - that's a long time to leave it and did you remove the battery, recharge it and refit it before hand or place the shunt fuse in the 'park' position during storage? A low voltage situation can cause problems with the electrical systems and ECUs especially if the battery is in a poor condition.

I would follow the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure and give the battery a good charge if you haven't already done so.

It would be normal for the system to be completely or near completely depressurised after this length of time. I would not top the LDS fluid up without checking the level - it should only be between the 'a' & 'b' marks on the lowest suspension setting.
LDS MK III.PNG
After checking the level as above, check you have the suspension setting in Normal height in case it was left in the low position. Sometimes it can take a while to get the pressure back up - 5 minutes or longer is not unusual after the system has lost pressure.

Try putting the car suspension into 'high' position to see if that will trigger some reaction.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NoelGourdie
My Cars: C5 2011 2.0 HDI 163ch Tourer. In NZ my wife has a 2005 1.6 petrol. We also have a 1983 Fiat 124 spider which we enjoy,

Re: Suspension wont pump up - 2011 C5 (X7) 5 DOOR ESTATE 2.0 HDi 163 PEF ( DW10CTED4 )

Post by NoelGourdie »

Hi Marc,

Thanks so much for your response.

Yes 2 years is a long time, much more than we planned! Battery was new before we left and was on a trickle charger for the 2 years so it is still in great condition and full voltage. The car was left with normal driving height setting. There was no visible fluid in the reservoir hence me topping it up till it was just visible.

I have tried resetting BSI yesterday but no improvement.

Before I got your reply, with the pump stopped, I loosened the pressure pipe that comes out of the front on the pump . Extremely gaseous frothy like brown mixture flowed out for some considerable time. Does that imply anything such as a leaking sphere? My intention was to establish whether the pump was actually pumping anything or whether it was a faulty pump. Once the frothing stopped, I pressurised the reservoir and started the pump but only a small amount more of froth appeared.

Cheers Noel
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok if the suspension is bottomed out then only fill it to the marks indicated.

You may well have some air in the system.

I would start the car, make sure the height level is indicated in the Lowest position, then carefully turn the wheel full lock left and then right without holding it at either end and repeat this a few times, then return to central position and check fluid level is still at the 'a' and 'b' mark and you may be able to see some frothing or fizz. As you can't get it into high position at present, I would still try the bleeding procedure omitting that part for now, just to get some of any air out that may be in the system.

This is the official bleeding procedure
  • Apply a pressure of 0.5 bar in the LDS fluid reservoir.
  • Start the engine.
  • Wait for the vehicle height to stabilise.
  • Place the suspension height control in the "HIGH" position.
  • Place the suspension height control in the "LOW" position.
  • Turn the steering from lock to lock in each direction.
  • Stop the engine.
  • Check the LDS fluid level.

Marc
NoelGourdie

Post by NoelGourdie »

Thanks Marc,
I'll try that today, and let you know the result.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Does the bleeding procedure step 'Turn the steering from lock to lock in each direction' imply the the suspension pump is also used for the power steering - if so, does the fact my power steering is working imply that the suspension pump is working correctly?
2. When I use the raising/lowering switches to attempt to raise/lower the car, it always shows the current position as the low position - does that imply the the position sensors are working?

Cheers Noel
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so:

1) Yes, on this model the power steering is electro-hydraulic. It is electrically operated directly from the car battery, but uses LDS from the same reservoir as the suspension and is pressurised by the same pump. So yet your pump is working. The pump is working as you already said I think that you can here it engaging when trying to raise the car.

2) I wasn't aware of this additional bit of info from your previous posts, but I'm looking at some further info regarding this. Have you run a diagnostic on the vehicle yet (with Diagbox if possible) to see if there are any specific fault codes presenting?

I'll report back shortly once I've checked through some info....

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's a technical bulletin if there is no height variation when pressing the height switch to raise or lower the vehicle and it concerns the Hydro-Electronic unit control relay.

It requires testing the relay for electrical supply first of all and it's why I previously asked if there were any fault codes present - as these should be addressed before undertaking the following test, but this would be the next step:

Earth Check (1)

Check the Specific earth points MC21 & MC22 marked on both the electrical diagram and for which the general location is shown on the earthing point map below:

First Check: Check Earth MC21 & MC22 for condition and cleanliness. If these are making contact and are clean move to the next check (2):

Check (2)

Check the power supply between track 1 (B7739) and 2 (M7739) of the 2 way black connector of the integrated hydro-electronic unit using a 55 W test lamp:
(Note Fuse F13 in the BSI in the passenger compartment glove box (RHD) is a 5 Amp that also supplies the Electrohydraulic Suspension ECU).

Refer to the large electrical diagram below - 7739 is the Central Electronic Block Motor.
  • If the test lamp shines brightly: Carry out check 3
  • If the test lamp shines weakly or does not illuminate; Check the power supply line between the integrated hydro-electronic unit and its electrical relay and don't replace the relay.

Check (3)

Integrated Hydro-Electronic Unit Control Relay

Location of Relay (1524):
1524 Location.PNG
X7 1524 Relay.PNG

Shunt the integrated hydro-electronic unit relay between terminals 3 and 5 (at "a"):
1524 Close Up.PNG
  • If the integrated hydro-electronic unit operates: Replace the Relay
  • If the integrated hydro-electronic unit does not operate: Check the control line terminal 2 of the electrical relay
The Electronic Control Relay is marked as 1524 on the larger electrical diagram below:

The relay:
1524 Relay Part.PNG

Marc
NoelGourdie

Post by NoelGourdie »

Hi Marc, I'm so impressed at the research you have done. I carried out the bleeding as you suggested and the car is now at normal height. Thanks so much for your help. Cheers Noel
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, no problems Noel. Pleased you have 're-floated' your C5 :-D

Marc