Diesel Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Diesel Pump

Post by Eddie Nuff »

In the new year, when everything has quietened down and I have two minutes to think, I intend to set about the sinker, as in my sig. The underneath, bodywork and interior are done but the car is let down by a scruffy engine bay, so the intention is to remedy that and see how close to showroom condition I can get her. Hence the diesel pump, and other parts, are going to be vapour blasted.

So my questions are aimed at making this as smooth as possible;

When removing the diesel pump are there any procedures to follow?

Does the pump have to be drained down of diesel before removal?

Does the cambelt sprocket need locking out first?

Is there any special tool needed?

Are there any valves/seals/grommets that need to be removed before blasting?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Diesel Pump

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 16:31 So my questions are aimed at making this as smooth as possible;

Yes, remove the timing belt cover over the pump sprocket and bring the engine to time. Remove the fuel delivery pipes to the injectors as one of the first jobs you do to avoid stressing them.

No need to remove the cambelt as the sprocket will remain in place supported by the M8 bolts in the index holes...

When removing the pump, be very careful the woodruff key does not make a bid for freedom. Stuff the area with rags as if the key disappears down in the timing belt area you are in a world of pain... I have been there :evil: The stuffed rags will catch the key if it flies... When replacing he pump, use lots of grease to hold the key in place...

No.

Yes. Once in time, lock the sprocket using M8 bolts in BOTH index holes...

Yes, a special puller to pull the sprocket off the pump driveshaft. Easily made... I can supply details if you want...

All orifices need to be VERY THOROUGHLY sealed before doing any sort of cleaning...

Just shout if you need further information Neil ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 07:37
Eddie Nuff wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 16:31 So my questions are aimed at making this as smooth as possible;

Yes, remove the timing belt cover over the pump sprocket and bring the engine to time. Remove the fuel delivery pipes to the injectors as one of the first jobs you do to avoid stressing them.

No need to remove the cambelt as the sprocket will remain in place supported by the M8 bolts in the index holes...

When removing the pump, be very careful the woodruff key does not make a bid for freedom. Stuff the area with rags as if the key disappears down in the timing belt area you are in a world of pain... I have been there :evil: The stuffed rags will catch the key if it flies... When replacing he pump, use lots of grease to hold the key in place...

No.

Yes. Once in time, lock the sprocket using M8 bolts in BOTH index holes...

Yes, a special puller to pull the sprocket off the pump driveshaft. Easily made... I can supply details if you want...

All orifices need to be VERY THOROUGHLY sealed before doing any sort of cleaning...

Don't forget to wash your mouth with coaltar soap, as you WILL be turning the air blue!

Just shout if you need further information Neil ;)
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, you do make me giggle :D I love your comment in blue above!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If I can make one person a day smile I think I have made the day worthwhile. If I can make them laugh so much the better.

How are you getting on with that DIY book?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 08:02 If I can make one person a day smile I think I have made the day worthwhile. If I can make them laugh so much the better.
Absolutely agree with that totally James :) I try to do the same ;) Makes me feel bloody good...
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 08:02How are you getting on with that DIY book?

Loving it :D

The other book is next to be read...

Did you get 'The Shepherd' back OK?
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I let Mike know that if he wanted to borrow it go ahead.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Thanks Jim, just the kind of info I was after.

Yes I will have details of that puller please.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 12:09 Yes I will have details of that puller please.

Those details will be with you as soon as I'm within range of my home... Can't get to my files where I am presently ;)

Also, don't hesitate to ask for any further advice you may need...
Jim

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

No need to rush, I aren't going to start on this until the new year.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 12:17 No need to rush, I aren't going to start on this until the new year.
yes, but I'll forget unless I do it ASAP ;)

Here they are...

The design:
Owen Work
Owen Work
What it looks like:
Own Work
Own Work
How to use it. (Engine removed for clarity) Works on both Lucas and Bosch pumps...
Own Work
Own Work
The bolts are M7... An odd size but you can 'borrow' a couple from the gearbox housing ;)
Jim

moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

And leave the nut on the pump (unscrewed a few turns) to look after the thread and it stops the whole lot leaping off uncontrollably. Then you can remove the pulley and woodruff key easily without visiting the land of pain
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

moizeau wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 19:18Then you can remove the pulley and woodruff key easily without visiting the land of pain

But no, you leave the pulley (sprocket) in place so that there is no need to disturb the cambelt ;) That's precisely why the pump drive sprocket has two indexing (locking) holes... It rigidly supports it with the pump removed...

The puller is gentle enough to not cause any damage to the driveshaft threads...

Neil, on thing I forgot... Before you start, mark the position of the pump on it's cradle with a line across the pump flange to ensure that on reassembly the pump static timing is maintained...
Jim

moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Yes Jim, meant to say 'remove the pump and key from the pulley'. Leaving the nut on has always been a habit, you don't know how stuck they can be, started the habit after removing a rotor on a motorbike crank that damaged the first thread
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

moizeau wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 10:32 Leaving the nut on has always been a habit, you don't know how stuck they can be

And it's a good one too :) You only ruin a thread once and usually when you do you're in a whole world of pain...

I've had more pump sprockets off than I can count now and touch-wood they've always come off without any difficulty using my little puller...
Jim