Xsara Picasso Non starter (Single Click in starter motor)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stephend330
My Cars: Saxo, Xsara Picasso

Xsara Picasso Non starter (Single Click in starter motor)

Post by stephend330 »

I've had the PIC parked up for a while now, it was given to me with an intermittent start issue. The intermittent start was a single click when turning the ignition. But 4 out of 5 times it would start no problem.

The original owners were told this was due to a flat battery so that was replaced with a new. But the symptom persisted.

Fast forward a few weeks and I've now taken a bit more of a look. I have tested the starter motor which looks good, Have also tried with another known good starter and we still have the odd single click on starting.

I then got the battery load tested which is failed, so this was replaced again.

The main earths have been checks and all checkout fine. I have also tested the main positive to the starter motor which was also fine.

This lead to drop test the control wire on the starter and under cranking with the issue present I have notice there's only 9V at the control terminal of the starter. So am am now trying to trace the ignition control cable from the starter back to the key switch to see where I'm losing the volts.

So far I have managed to chase it to the engine fuse box which passes the connection to the passenger footwell. From here i think it connects to the BSI. Anyone have a diagram of the control wire for the starter motor?
TZDunnit
My Cars: 1990 BX TZD Turbo
1974 D Super 5
2015 Peugeot Boxer Van

Re: Xsara Picasso Non starter (Single Click in starter motor)

Post by TZDunnit »

Sometimes it's worth giving the starter/solenoid terminals and lugs a good wire-brushing same for battery terminals and body earth's, could be a free and easy fix.
90 Bx TZD Turbo ven red 294k
74 D Super 5 Black.??? K
65 Boxer van workhorse 438k
Volvo v50 d
Nissan Juke
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

stephend330 wrote: 12 May 2022, 12:23 Anyone have a diagram of the control wire for the starter motor?
Need your Reg or VIN to get this as there are 2 totally different setups depending on build date. Early models the crank feed is direct off the ignition switch, later models go via the BSM.
stephend330

Post by stephend330 »

Regarding cleaning the terminals, I have cleaned the starter motor posts and the face that contacts the engine.
Sanded all body earths so there is good contact.
And have also cleaned the battery terminals and clamps.

I too way hoping it was a bad connection somewhere.

My Reg is: YP55 UVT

TIA.
stephend330

Post by stephend330 »

so the BSM is the fuse board on the engine bay? I have trace the control wire to that fuse board, it appears to pass straight through the BSM into the loom that exits the BSM to the passenger footwell.

I was expecting it to connect to a relay in the BSM.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

So this is the later setup with Com2000 & BSM.
Yes the BSM is the under bonnet fuse box (PSF1 in the diagram)
The starter circuit is pretty simple.
The Cranking feed comes from pin 3 of the 3 way blue connector of the ignition switch, from here to pin 1 of the 16 way grey connector on the BSM, straight through the BSM & exits on pin 1 of the 2 way black connector and from here straight to the starter solenoid.
The wire number is 100 from start to finish but beware the colour may change as it goes through different units
Attachments
pic starter.jpg
Last edited by wheeler on 13 May 2022, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
stephend330

Post by stephend330 »

Thanks for the diagram, will have a look at the car again tonight I get a feeling the cable runs under the dash which will be a little painful to remove I would imagine.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just volt drop test the wire between the ignition switch & pin 1 of the 16 way green connector on the BSM before you start digging around behind the dash. Repeat the test from there to the starter solenoid, this will narrow down if the voltage loss is before or a after the BSM. It could even be inside the BSM.
stephend330

Post by stephend330 »

So I have done the volt drop test. At the green connector I'm losing maybe 0.1 so thays good. But between the green bsm pin 1 and the black connector running to the starter control terminal Im seeing 2 volt drop.

Sound like I am losing it in the bsm. Any way to bypass the bsm for testing?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Direct feed pin one of the 2 pin black straight from the battery, if it starts every time then it looks like a faulty BSM. Just be sure its out of gear when doing this.
Although on the diagram it looks like a direct connection straight in & out the BSM we don't really know what happens inside it.
stephend330

Post by stephend330 »

Thanks wheeler, turns out i had a few things causing the power drop, There was a repair done on the start cable at some point about halfway in the loom. Was not weather tight so the connection was corroded.

The other was the solenoid on the starter.

combine these caused a 3V drop. Have fixed the connection and replaced the solenoid.

All working now.