Citroen C4 Picasso (B78) 2014 - keyless door handle issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

danlat1415
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 1.6 HDi (semi auto Deisel)

Citroen C4 Picasso (B78) 2014 - keyless door handle issue

Post by danlat1415 »

I've got a C4 Picasso 2014 Exclusive that has keyless entry, so the door handles have a sensor on them.

The front passenger handle doesn't work with keyless entry. All the other door handles work fine.
I've just replaced the door handle (part number, sensor and cable all the same), as I've seen other cars where replacing the handle fixes it, but unfortunately it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know if it needs pairing or anything with Diagbox, or if there are any other parts that it could be that need replacing??
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C4 Picasso (B78) 2014 - keyless door handle issue

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Assuming there's no dirt on the inside of the handle and that correct part was replaced (as there are several types depending on option and build date), then I can only suggest the wiring connection from the door aperture to the bulkhead may be broken (you'll need to check all the wiring connections at the plug where the door wiring goes through to the A Pillar / bulkhead) or that the hands free access ECU may be faulty or one of the hands free aerials along that side may not be picking up the identifier.

If you ordered the wrong part number for the build date then it's a possibility that it likely won't work as the revised part number may have specific changes to the sensor / electronics in the handle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
danlat1415
Donor 2024

Post by danlat1415 »

Please can you check the part number for the front passenger door - with hands free sensor?

VIN - VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

I've run Diagbox this morning and it's not showing any errors, and no ECU or BSI errors.
I've also gone through the REPAIR section and there is nothing listed for door handle sensors, only the driver door control panel.

So changing the door handle should have sorted.
I bought a new door handle - part number - 967853211T

That didn't work, so I got one from a salvage company - part number - 980297811T
That didn't work either.

Like you say, they look identical but have different part numbers.
I had assumed I got the correct part initially, and my original door handle got thrown away, so I can't check it now.
That door handle sensor has never worked on that particular door since I owned the car (bought second hand), so I couldn't guarantee that it was an original door handle either.

Looking into in more detail, it would seem that the correct part number for my year/model is - 1606874580 (Black handle with chrome trim). There is also 98029781XT but that is for coloured door handles without chrome trim and also appears to be without the sensor.
That part number is now fairly rare as it was replaced on newer vehicles with the part numbers above.

I'll try and source one and try that.
I'd still appreciate if you could confirm if that's the correct part number.

Thank for your help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As you probably know Dan live parts data requires a membership upgrade (details below for future ref.), but as you've already supplied the part numbers, I can confirm that for the handle: 967853211T is the later replacement part for the original part: 1606874580.

980297811T isn't coming up as a valid part for your car.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here

If you are having problems with it and have replaced the handle modules, then I would not be looking there, but more at the electrical wiring from the sensor module to the Hands Free ECU:

This is the Diagram for the passenger door handle sensor. You can see the sensor plug and why I suggested you check the door aperture wiring as this is where breaks happen when the door is opened and closed over time. There are 2 wires from the sensor and these go through an interconnection harness in the passenger cabin and ultimately to the Hands Free ECU as shown in the other diagram. I suspect one of these wires may be the cause as the sensor would be supplied with the handle. You may want to check the connection at the Hands Free ECU in case the wires have become disturbed.

84J2: low frequency aerial signal 1 for front LH exterior hands-free locking/unlocking buttons
84J3: low frequency aerial signal 2 for front LH exterior hands-free locking/unlocking buttons

This is the location of the sensor in the door (8250)

This is the location of the hands free ECU (8240)

Marc
danlat1415
Donor 2024

Post by danlat1415 »

Thanks for your detailed response. I wasn't expecting so much detail.

None of the wires seem damaged and are all clean from what I can see. I'd need to strip more panels/trim off to get to the ECUs, but as there are no errors on Diagbox, I'm not sure if would be an ECU issue - so I was trying to rule out the handle first.

I'll have a look into it more - thanks for the wiring diagrams.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem. Any parts requests you need, pop a post up here:

viewtopic.php?t=69962

Marc
matthewpjgrant
My Cars: 2015 C4 Grand Picassso II - 2.0 HDI 150

Post by matthewpjgrant »

Hey, did you ever get the issue resolved and how so?

I've been having the same issue on the passenger side for over a year now! It won't activate to lock or unlock the door and it's annoyed me long enough to want to do something about it now.w

I've tried putting the key in the reader, disconnecting the battery overnight, and even swapping the handle for the driver's side. The passenger side handle didn't work on the driver's side. Broken handle and replacement needed I assumed, but then the driver's side handle wouldn't work on the passenger side either. I also tried pulling the battery and locking the car via fob a few times to see if the change in handle needed to register with the ECU. A pointless exercise in fault-finding all around really!

I've connected it up to a copy of diagbox but I can't seem to find anything on there relating to the doors other than a simple test to check whether the actuators for the locks themselves work. I've seen on other forum posts that a "reset" at the dealer fixed their issue- Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm starting to think that maybe it's not the handle itself (mostly because I'm reluctant to buy another and have wasted money if the problem persists) but perhaps an ECU or cable issue. From the limited info I can find, is this the "Door Control Module" and would that have anything to do with the door handle? Would it have anything to do with adjusting the passenger side mirror (a whole other saga where it won't move left or right and up has become down).

Thanks to all who can help!
Door control Module?
Door control Module?
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Blame Bobins but I remember reading about damaged PCBs inside the door handles of this system. If all else fails, get the door handles off and examined for PCB issues.