Suspected broken cambelt - Citroen Xsara Picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gbk71
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Petrol, 2009

Suspected broken cambelt - Citroen Xsara Picasso

Post by gbk71 »

Hi all,

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Petrol, 2009 with a suspected broken timing belt.

I bought the car on Sunday (4 days ago) from a private seller and drove the car home some 150 miles without a problem. Picked my kids up from school, no problem. Driving Wednesday evening (yesterday) and the car lost all power and the engine just "spins" too freely when trying to start. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I suspect a broken cambelt.

I've been doing some bedtime reading and it doesn't look too bad a job on a petrol engine. But I did see a video where someone said you should get a new camshaft as the lobes are press on and can move with a cambelt failure. I've only heard that on this one video, so just wanted to check with everyone.

This forum has been a great resource already and you all seem a really friendly bunch :)

I can't believe my luck with this car. I had a megane before but the clutch failed so I bought this Citroen :cry:

Thanks,
Graham
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Re: Suspected broken cambelt - Citroen Xsara Picasso

Post by oscar »

gbk71 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 09:36 Hi all,

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Petrol, 2009 with a suspected broken timing belt.

I bought the car on Sunday (4 days ago) from a private seller and drove the car home some 150 miles without a problem. Picked my kids up from school, no problem. Driving Wednesday evening (yesterday) and the car lost all power and the engine just "spins" too freely when trying to start. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I suspect a broken cambelt.

I've been doing some bedtime reading and it doesn't look too bad a job on a petrol engine. But I did see a video where someone said you should get a new camshaft as the lobes are press on and can move with a cambelt failure. I've only heard that on this one video, so just wanted to check with everyone.

This forum has been a great resource already and you all seem a really friendly bunch :)

I can't believe my luck with this car. I had a megane before but the clutch failed so I bought this Citroen :cry:

Thanks,
Graham
Didnt happen to buy From Exeter or Exmouth? and it's red? via eBay
Last edited by oscar on 25 Nov 2021, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The 1.6 diesel models have pressed on cam lobes but i dont think the petrol ones are.
gbk71

Post by gbk71 »

oscar wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 20:05
Er…yes. I’m not sure I want to know what’s coming next.
oscar

Post by oscar »

gbk71 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 22:23
oscar wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 20:05
Er…yes. I’m not sure I want to know what’s coming next.
Guy did say about belt as way way over due we had looked at it but left it as another thing was ringing bells! before sorting head out check the front cross member/suspension is in line as friend is thinking been off road into something?
Also check rear arms.
gbk71

Post by gbk71 »

OK thanks. It drove fine on the way back home. The invoice had "Timing belt?" written on it from the last service so I'd been researching what was involved and had it planned for a couple of weeks time. Oh well. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Does anyone know what engine it would be? Code wise. It's a "Desire" 1.6 from 2009. But I keep seeing 8v and 16v 1.6 petrol for parts and I don't know what it is. I'm guessing 8v. If it was 16v it would probably have another badge on the back!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I would think a 2009 model would be 16v. Dont think the picasso ever came with 16v badges.
A pic of the engine or the VIN number will confirm.
oscar

Post by oscar »

gbk71 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 09:19 OK thanks. It drove fine on the way back home. The invoice had "Timing belt?" written on it from the last service so I'd been researching what was involved and had it planned for a couple of weeks time. Oh well. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Does anyone know what engine it would be? Code wise. It's a "Desire" 1.6 from 2009. But I keep seeing 8v and 16v 1.6 petrol for parts and I don't know what it is. I'm guessing 8v. If it was 16v it would probably have another badge on the back!
If put reg up can check. But Citroen don't use badges like that just name rank and serial number! ie Citroen.Xsara Picasso Desire/Exclusive then you just pick out what engine/fuel/size it is from there!
gbk71

Post by gbk71 »

I took the cover off over the weekend - it's a 16v. Got 2 cams with the lobes pressing directly on the valves, no rockers.

I'm assuming there are bent valves. Is there an easy way to check? Just wondering if I should put a new belt on and just try it. Or go straight for a full head removal. Bit of a step in the dark for me. Done lots of tinkering - carb rebuilds on old golfs, suspension fixes etc but taking these engines apart will be new

Reg number is WU09 WHZ.

Looking at ECP, they've got 2 kits available one says it's for "134 teeth, 25.4mm", the other is for "engine TU5JP4, 134 teeth, 26mm".

Would the VIN be helpful? Is it OK to post here?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just for reference - If you can't already find the info you need on the Forum, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future parts requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then pop your VIN up.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Please consider avoiding ECP. Although some people have not had issues with them, others have (and there are a few horror stories out there). ECP have 'earned' the nickname "Euro Crap Parts". GSF are usually considered to be better, and (if you sign up on their website) there can be decent discounts available.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

gbk71 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 10:36 Looking at ECP, they've got 2 kits available one says it's for "134 teeth, 25.4mm", the other is for "engine TU5JP4, 134 teeth, 26mm".

Would the VIN be helpful? Is it OK to post here?
Your engine is a TU5JP4 (NFU)
When i put that reg into ECP it gives 2 choices 101 teeth & 17mm wide or 134 teeth & 26mm wide.
Best to measure the width & count the teeth on the one you have.
Yes, avoid ECP junk, i can only imagine the quality of a timing belt that costs £4.48
Even the citroen aftermaket one is nearly 10 times that & a genuine original citroen one is £105 :shock: Thats just for the belt alone, no tensioner or idlers.