C5 front suspension strut interchangeability

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vfrrsvr
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Range rover classic
Lotus Excel
Renault Espace RIP
Cx Familiale Turbo Diesel RIP
Cx Familiale diesel RIP

C5 front suspension strut interchangeability

Post by vfrrsvr »

Hi Gents and any ladies that may have be here. I am in need of some advice, possibly no more than opinion. My son has a 2004 C5 HDI. I have just put in a new clutch and renewed the handbrake cables (OMG!). I noticed that the front strut mounting on both sides was a bit of a mess. Very rusty, not surface but had turned into layers of rust flakes, I am sure you know the scene. The rusty bit is the outer part of the mount that is integral to the strut. It carries the three studs that locate in the inner wing. Inner wing is sound. It appears I have a couple of options here. One option which will not happen is to get new bits from Citroen. Too dear if available. Option 2 is to buy the strut top from ebay, usually from abroad. They are in good nick but how good is the seal btn the strut and the removed top mount?. Option three is the most likely and it is here I need guidance. Buy two complete second hand struts. There are a couple currently on ebay. BUT they are from a 2005 model. My hope is that the facelift was just that and that the mechanicals with the exception of the later engine and ancillaries remained unchanged. Answers on a postcard please will 2005 struts fit a 2004 C5. The only difference that I know of is that these removable tops come with two different thread sizes for the hydaulic lines either circa m8 and the other circa m14. On of the Polish vendors has photos of his vernier measuring each. I originally suspected that 2001-4 were m8 and 2004-8 were the larger size, but these ebay 2005 ones seem to be the smaller size. Any comment on this much appreciated.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C5 front suspension strut interchangeability

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum. I believe the main difference is between C5s with standard suspension (otherwise known as H3) and those with Sports suspension (known as H3+). I have a copy of DocBackup, and just doing a quick comparison between same spec Mk1 and Facelift C5s suggests that the strut tops are the same, as the parts numbers are the same (but, as I have said, you must make sure they suspension is of the same spec). The quick way to check would be to look at the suspension control buttons. H3 has the 'Up' and 'Down' buttons (with the name 'Citroen' between them), while H3+ has the 'Sport' button replacing the 'Citroen' name, like these two ebay links;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284418252698 ... SwiFVhIKmG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223754370127 ... SwCoRdEckC

I hope that this helps you.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 21:41One option which will not happen is to get new bits from Citroen. Too dear if available.
The MK I and MK II strut brackets are still available and about £300 each.

As for the front struts from a MK I - they are the same as the MK II with the same part numbers.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vfrrsvr
(Donor 2021)
Lotus Excel
Renault Espace RIP
Cx Familiale diesel RIP

Post by vfrrsvr »

Ha Ha More questions. First, thank you guys for your prompt assistance. Marc do you have part numbers for the strut tops, wouldnt hurt to ask Citroen, they might have a special offer on !. Also opinion Mk1 or Mk2 C5 I see you have had both. I want another hydro car before they disappear. I like the 8 valve hdi. I have a 16v hdi 1.6 in my wifes Xsara Picasso and its a pain having glow plugs etc down the back of the engine,. I assume its the same with the Hdi 2.0 16v. Puts me off the mk2. Is it worth the perceived bother?
Thanks for the welcome but I have been here before. 31MEV not banned just lost my details and no matter what I did, could not get back in. Not a frequent visitor, contribute little, but come here to assist in keeping 4 old Citroens on the road so hope I will be excused a rather one sided arrangement.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Shame you didn't ask - we can restore your account for you if you want!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 20:05 Ha Ha More questions. First, thank you guys for your prompt assistance. Marc do you have part numbers for the strut tops, wouldnt hurt to ask Citroen, they might have a special offer on !. Also opinion Mk1 or Mk2 C5 I see you have had both. I want another hydro car before they disappear. I like the 8 valve hdi. I have a 16v hdi 1.6 in my wifes Xsara Picasso and its a pain having glow plugs etc down the back of the engine,. I assume its the same with the Hdi 2.0 16v. Puts me off the mk2. Is it worth the perceived bother?
Thanks for the welcome but I have been here before. 31MEV not banned just lost my details and no matter what I did, could not get back in. Not a frequent visitor, contribute little, but come here to assist in keeping 4 old Citroens on the road so hope I will be excused a rather one sided arrangement.
Ok so personally, I would plump for the MK II. Less 'squeaky', more solid feel, better engines, the 2.0 HDI is a workhorse and solid engine. Don't worry about glowplugs, rarely needed on an HDI - only assists regeneration occasionally or in very cold starting conditions. I've never changed a glow plug on an HDi- ever.

The MK II has nice styling - the rear especially on a saloon is very unique and unmistakable. Better options - directional b-Xenon headlamps are a great feature with the full electric leather seats if you can get a nice exclusive and improved hydractive suspension over the MK I.

Parts are drying up, so if you are not opting for a MK III (X7) get in quick.

As for parts info generally, we can provide official live part numbers and parts diagrams, but as we are no charged by PSA for this data, we do ask for a donation. The good news is that upgrading your membership will provide you with part number requests for up to 2 years. Just follow the links below - it's all automated and then pop up your VIN for the vehicle in question to save me asking for it in future. :wink:
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring Parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Parts Information and VIN Numbers Click Here

Marc
vfrrsvr
(Donor 2021)
Lotus Excel
Renault Espace RIP
Cx Familiale diesel RIP

Post by vfrrsvr »

Hi Again the following is a follow on from the posts above there has been some delay but as advised by Givemeabreak we have sourced new strut tops. I now need to change them. Clearly the bottom of the strut needs disconnecting. I have seen this done on you tube. I think I am ok there. My questions all therefore relate to the top end. When I disconnect the hydraulic line is there a rubber seal that sits un the end of the pipe like the old CX's? I would like to think that if I remove the large nut on the top of the strut, the strut will pull out of the mounting. I suspect it is more involved as many of the second hand tops that I looked at on ebay had the plastic flare/guard around the mid point damaged. There is a hole behind the flare that would give access to the body of the strut (not the shaft) is there some sort of one way clip there.? Any help would be appreciated. Also I have made a donation but could not get back to the entry point. I believe it said to contact Jim. Was that just for stickers?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have a read through Elis's guide on doing this - lots of photos and videos and other information:

viewtopic.php?t=58759

Marc
vfrrsvr
(Donor 2021)
Lotus Excel
Renault Espace RIP
Cx Familiale diesel RIP

Post by vfrrsvr »

Hi Marc

I have read through, but it refers to X7 struts in the main. There is a passing reference to a Mk1/2 but the guy takes it to a garage. To simplify my question, If I remove the large nut on top of the strut will it separate the mounting from the strut, or is there some other hidden fixing. Thanks for your suggestion
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Why did I think you had an X7? #-o

I'll see if I can find something for you....

Here you go, this is the official procedure:

C5 MK I & II Front Strut Replacement

Marc
vfrrsvr
(Donor 2021)
Lotus Excel
Renault Espace RIP
Cx Familiale diesel RIP

Post by vfrrsvr »

Spot on Marc. Thank you very much. My Son really fancied an X7 until I told him of all the probs I had read about on here with racks. I am a CX man at heart. Stuck inside a Xsara Picasso (my wifes). When it comes to Citroens, in my view, older is better. with many caveats!!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problems.

The X7 is a great car in my opinion and far superior to the previous models, despite being on my third rack before selling her - but some people are luckier than others. The 'CV Boot Mod' can be used as detailed here by many of us to help prevent water getting onto the pinion shaft that causes the rusting and O-ring seal deformation / destruction. To my knowledge, everyone here who has undertaken the mod has been trouble-free with the racks since.

Just be wary of parts now as the MK I & II are getting quite old and availability of some parts is getting an issue - especially suspension parts like struts.

Marc
vfrrsvr
(Donor 2021)
Lotus Excel
Renault Espace RIP
Cx Familiale diesel RIP

Post by vfrrsvr »

Thanks for that Marc. One last Q if I may. I know the 2.2 engine had its problems in the mk1. Did that carry over to the mk2? add to that the 178hp version. Your thoughts would be appreciated. I only ask as I have seen a nice one for sale and always thought I would avoid, in favour of the 2.0 am I missing something here?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow