2005 307 2.0 hdi hesitation

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

quintet
Donor 2021

2005 307 2.0 hdi hesitation

Post by quintet »

Bit hard to describe this but at 1800rpm in 3rd gear my 307 will often "splutter" and basically feel like it's misfiring, in 4th it's better but i guess it's because of the higher gearing and less strain on the engine. The car is driven slowly and i short shift gears keeping the rpm low rather than accelerate quickly upto speed (ie 40mph+ like most other road users) and i will then drive at 30 mph in 4th. The spluttering differs sometimes but it's usually always there at 1800rpm/30mph, sometimes quite bad making the car unpleasant to drive. The engine light has come on once & my PP200 diagnosed the MAF but unfortunately i couldn't really get into it to diagnose further as the diag kit i bought kept coming up with something like a "connection 1?" and other than erase the fault it wouldn't go any further.

The only thing i've replaced so far is the electovalve as it seemed to be letting air pass through it but a genuine replacement off ebay does the same, i am tempted to put a new MAF on it but at £180.00 plus vat its too much of an expensive guess even though it has shown an issue in the recent past. I am also tempted to book it in and get a software download done on it but that wont fix a mechanical fault.

I should point out this car is the base spec 2.0 hdi, so no intercooler, dpf, or dual mass flywheel and is 90hp so less to go wrong...in theory...I have read a number of threads on line which typically state blanking off the EGR, run without MAF and other possible fixes but non seem to actually fix the problem so before i crawl under it if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate hearing them. The first thing i'll be looking at is the turbo pipes as there is a slight turbo whistle coming from the car but as theres no intercooler i can't see there really being an issue.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2005 307 2.0 hdi hesitation

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We can't advise any emissions defeating here, which includes EGR blanking which will almost guarantee additional errors in any case.

MAFs can be cleaned with specific MAF cleaner - but the wires are uber sensitive, so don't attempt to brush or rub it with anything - just use the dedicated cleaner. That may be cheaper than a MAF which may be unnecessary. I've done this myself in the past and ended up with a brand new OEM MAF for no reason.

Loss of turbo pressure can often manifest itself by a rasping noise or just a lack of welly. Most of the turbo power is delivered at lower engine revs, so you don't need to be wellying it to notice it.
quintet
Donor 2021

Post by quintet »

Rest assured i won't be blocking off the EGR unit, going down that road is a fools game in my opinion, i wasn't aware you could buy dedicated MAF cleaner though, thats gotta be worth a try for around a tenner, i might also buy a second hand MAF just to see if there's any difference once fitted, i suspect there wont be but if there isn't then that rules out the MAF (unless the used one is also faulty) and i won't have wasted a lot of money on a new one. I had a poke around under the car today but as i'm sure many are aware trying to look at stuff lying on your back under a car is not always successful, however i did not see much in the way of loose turbo pipes, when the car behaves itself it goes quite well.....it just doesn't do that very often.

Todays plan apart from poking around underneath was to check my brakes over, i knew they weren't great but they are ok for now, what i forgot was the nsf wheel bearing has play in it (perfectly quiet on the road) but i discovered the nsr shock absorber is leaking, an exhaust mounting is snapped & the osr abs sensor had significant corrosion behind it pushing the sensor onto the abs ring & rubbing against it! Unfortunately the plastic asb mounting is now warped & it wont sit flush against the hub (despite the corrosion being removed) so thats more work and money #-o
quintet
Donor 2021

Post by quintet »

A brief update on this, i managed to purchase a 2nd hand MAF & the guy i bought it off actually sent me 3 which was very nice of him. The first one i fitted made no difference, the second one felt better and the third one put the MIL on, it could all be coincidence but I'll try running round using the second MAF. I tried using Wynns EGR cleaner after refitting the second MAF but I'm not sure it made any difference. I may take it to a dealer and see if it will take a software update but that will have to wait. I may still get a better diagnostic laptop in future too especially as new batteries are not available.
Attachments
Anyone know how to clear these when you get to 50?
Anyone know how to clear these when you get to 50?
Trying to get further into the fault but all i get is this, anyone any ideas what it means?
Trying to get further into the fault but all i get is this, anyone any ideas what it means?
The MIL fault after fitting the 3rd MAF (fault now erased)
The MIL fault after fitting the 3rd MAF (fault now erased)
quintet
Donor 2021

Post by quintet »

List of current faults, there are 3 at the moment and i'm hoping i've noted down the fault and the code's in the correct sequence.

Engine ECU, Permanent fault. Air flowmeter signal. Air flow too low coherence
- engine fault code P0100,
engine speed 1542,
air flow setting576mg/impulse,
air temperature 24deg C,
intake air flow 282mg/impulse,
turbo pressure 988mbars

Engine ECU, intermittent fault, Fuel low pressure pump supply. Open circuit or short circuit to earth
ECU fault code P0230
engine speed 0
coolant temperature 18 deg C
battery voltage 6.9 volt (s)
Opening cyclic ratio electric cut out 0%
cruise control - cruise control off
Power latch - power latch not active
air conditioning compressor cut off - air conditioning cut-off inactive
EGR valve - EGR not active

Engine ECU, intermittent fault, EGR air circuit fault. Airflow measure less than recommended
ECU fault code P0401
Engine speed - 1446 rpm
air flow setting 465mg/impulse
EGR solenoid valve OCR - 0%
intake air flow 329mg/impulse
actual delivery 24 mm3/stroke
Michel
Donor 2020

Post by Michel »

Pretty sure my 90bhp Berlingo HDi "hesitated" at the same engine speed - I'd describe it as feeling like being in too high a gear momentarily. I put it down to a characteristic of the fueling setup as it disappeared when I had the ECU remapped to 120bhp.
quintet
Donor 2021

Post by quintet »

Getting a software update is still an option for me but i'm not sure i'll go down the road of a re-map, at least not until i have found out what the problem is but the driveability issue sounds about the same. Can anyone confirm just how many electrovalves a 90hp 307 hdi has? i have changed the one on (roughly) the front of the engine which i believe to be the Turbo boost pressure control valve (1628zt i hope it was the right one for my application) but i came across an interesting thread but for a Peugeot 406 which looks to have the same engine but has 2, maybe 3 electro valves with 2 being on the bulkhead ( https://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20132 ) . I may have a go at replacing the EGR unit too but with it being nigh-on impossible to get to i need to find out which one i need so if someone could provide part numbers for the electro-valves and EGR unit i'd be most grateful. I'll also most likely try another can or two of EGR cleaner.

VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here you go:
Quin EGR.PNG
The EGR valve item (1) is part: 1628JZ, and priced @ £335.94
The Electrovalves item (6) are part: 1628ZT and priced @ £102.65 each

All VAT inclusive and from Peugeot direct, prices as of today.
quintet
Donor 2021

Post by quintet »

Thanks for that @GiveMeABreak but could possibly confirm that is definitely the correct engine pictured as my car does not have item 17, are the components pictured off a 110hp engine? (Mine is the 90hp engine). I've spent a while online looking at various RHY engines & there does appear to be different versions of the 90hp engine....which is confusing. Item(s) number 6 is mounted at the front of the engine & mine definitely only has one & there's no sign of additional pipelines or wiring indicating that one may have been removed in the past.
Attachments
My engine has a section of tube (which definitely looks factory fitted) as opposed to whatever item number 17 is.
My engine has a section of tube (which definitely looks factory fitted) as opposed to whatever item number 17 is.