Megane tyres

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Megane tyres

Post by myglaren »

Daughter has a Megane C+C , 1.6 VVT, 2006.
Had a new clutch yesterday, plus wishbones.
Needs a rear spring, new tyres and tracking - the steering wheel is off-centre.
Also passenger door mirror and window don't work - they did when she bought it.

The tyres fitted are 205/50 R16 and ZR16 91 W.
I'm getting lots of conflicting info based on registration number, year and model.
Does anyone know if the correct info is given anywhere on the car like Citroens do with a sticker in the door shut with tyre sizes, pressures, paint code and RP#?
Don't have access to the car today. Not that there is a rush as it can't be done until the 30th.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 18 Sep 2019, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected Title to Megane
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Megane tyres

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As you can see Steve, from the info you provided - it has listed 195/65 R15 in red as the defaults - but under that has brought up the correct alternatives - and I suspect it's because of the options so specs / upgrades available.
Tyres.PNG
They are supposed to be like this inside driver door....
renault.PNG
But from what I've heard they are often missing or plain wrong!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Marc - it is very confusing. Oponeo has some options but hard to say what is best. Current tyres appear to be way above spec for load and speed, the wheels she has aren't listed.

I am pleased with my Sailun tyres and may try to get them to suit, otherwise probably Toyo.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just a moan but open to suggestions.
She had a new clutch fitted, old one slipping. After a bit she said it smelled of burning (the old one had too.
Took it back, presuming a dud release bearing.
It was the flywheel that had worn in the middle, leaving a narrow contact area around the circumference.
Unfortunately the garage owner went to India the day I took it in. Dropped in a couple of days later and they showed me the flywheel and they were attempting to get a scrapyard replacement, which has proved to be difficult, the one thy did manage to get was too big.
Renault list them but can't supply them NFP.
Mister Auto seems to have some but probably not the right one, prices between £300 & £700 :(

Spoke to the garage owner, back from India and he has asked if I know of anyone who can skim the old clutch. I do know of one workshop near here, will try and contact them but have an unmissable appointment tomorrow, another day down the drain.
She is getting a bit agitated now, into the third week. At least she has a car from work.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

She got it back on Monday, had to skim the flywheel as no compatible ones available. Only an 06 reg too.
4cvg
My Cars: 1958 Renault 4CV (modified)
1966 Renault R8 (modified)
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

I just joined the forum & realise that something would already be fitted but I hope that it wasn't Sailun. My concern with these would be wet grip. For that matter, I'd be wary of almost any Toyo as well on the same grounds.

I'd be fitting the best tyres possible in the size (best for wet grip under braking & laterally & with benign, non-snappy, limit behaviour). People sometimes say that fussing beyond the minimum is a waste of money as they drive sedately but that response ignores the emergency swerve &/or brake in the wet. At such times, I'd want my tyres to be part of the solution, not the problem.

205/50-16 is a size that is blessed with a number of good tyres.

Pick of them (on the above criteria) are Continental's PremiumContact 6 & Bridgestone's Turanza T005. The former handles more responsively & the latter is more comfort orientated.

Each is about £90 each.

Generally on tyres, I recommend browsing the magazine tests at

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/

cheers! Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A couple of months ago I was called out to assist, she had a puncture, no spare of course and no mobile tyre fitters to come on a Sunday.
Tried inflating it and it wasn't having it. Whipped it off and took it to ATS, only place open anywhere near, other than KF opposite.
Only one they had in was £199. Expensive puncture - sidewall was completely trashed.
They had loads of Sailun tyres in stock, none the right size.

Her boyfriend then wrecked that same tyre two days later. Got a part worn for £40.
4cvg
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

A sad tale of woe :-(
4cvg
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

Just noticed that you are Washington, USA based.

The US is an abysmal place to try to get tyres that are decent in the wet. Best I can offer in your size is Sumitomo's HTR A/S PO2 or Hankook's Ventus V2 Concept 2 (in that order). Not great tyres but . . . . .
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

4cvg wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 13:31 Just noticed that you are Washington, USA based.

The US is an abysmal place to try to get tyres that are decent in the wet. Best I can offer in your size is Sumitomo's HTR A/S PO2 or Hankook's Ventus V2 Concept 2 (in that order). Not great tyres but . . . . .
Not quite correct, it is Washington in England, where the Washington family that spawned George came from originally.

I don't have the C5 any more and when the tyres on the current Civic expire they will be replaced with Sailun tyres.
4cvg
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

I stand corrected. You have access to better tyres then. Not that Sailun are among them. Bonne chance! - A source of my concern is the wet braking result for one of their better tyres; see:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... g-Test.htm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have used them for years after seeing a test track video of their snow tyres and have been very pleased with them. They have been every bit as good as their far more expensive counterparts.
4cvg
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

One final remark & then I'll leave it. Best guide to "in extremis" behaviour is the published comparative tests. Not much on Sailun but what there is is contrary to any claim of equivalent performance (see braking test reference above).

I hope that your enthusiasm for them is not tested by an emergency.

cheers! Peter
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Tyre comparisons should be taken with somewhat of a pinch of salt as it’s also very vehicle dependent. What is perfectly fine on one car may be garbage on another..

Example.

My first MX5 had Pirelli P6000s on it , all very good, all correct pressure. I drove it round a quickish bend that I’ve driven round literally 1000 or more times, in the wet and wrote it off when the back simply let go.

My second MX5, I put Avons ZV3s on. They we’re apparently not as good in the wet as those Pirellis.
I went round the same bend, in the wet at higher speed many times without a problem.

My Puma also had Pirelli P6000s when I got it. In anything other than dry conditions, it understeered like a dog on lino.
4cvg
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

You are correct that what works well for one vehicle might not work as well for another. A major factor is the so-called slip angles at which the tyres in question operate. To some extent a tyre's slip angle is modifiable by tyre pressure & my advice has always been that, when changing the tyre type on a given vehicle, one should play around with the front/rear tyre pressure differential. What's "correct" isn't the same for all tyre types. In this case, I hypothesise that the more tautly structured P6000 (operating with a lower slip angle than the Avon) would have benefited from relatively lower front type pressures.

Anyway, the best guide that one has to tyre performance remains the spread of tyre tests, carried out with different vehicles, in different sizes & with different test protocols. Perfect? No. But as good as is available. I consider "feel" & limit behaviour to be very significant for both ordinary non-driving enthusiasts & enthusiasts & the tests I take most note of are those with a substantial subjective appraisal section.

cheers! Peter