C5 X7 Electric Window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

C5 X7 Electric Window

Post by deano1970 »

Ok. I bought the C5 and I love it. Everything was working as should, until......... OK, I washed the car, I dont think this is anything to do with my problem but all was fine before. Now the passenger window was going halfway down, and would stop. I try to close it and it did eventually but kept trying to go down as if it had detected the anti pinch that someone's hand was there..... anyway, now, it will move about an inch, maybe less and go back up...I can hear it click and try to move but it just won't, luckily it goes back up so I'm leaving it now, what is the problem? All other windows fine, it's like there is something grabbing the window to stop it operating? Also, reverse lights not working, it's an estate, unclipped the little plastic tab and waggle the wire it will come on but not on the driver side, anyway, that's prob a garage job, but any ideas on the passenger window? Cheers
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 07 Jun 2021, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Thread Title
C5 X7
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 Electric Window

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Reinitialise the anti pinch system. You need to do this every time the battery is disconnected.

Hold the window button down until it reaches the fully down position.
Next lift the button manually so that the window starts to go up whilst you are holding it manually (don't use the 'one-touch' by lifting the button fully up if you have this option - I can't remember if the 52 plate was a bit early for one-touch operation).
The window will stop several times. When it does, release and then again pull the switch up keeping your finger on it, and it will start to move again.
Repeat this until the window is fully closed.
When the window is fully closed, again hold the button at the first position for a few seconds - you may hear or feel a feint click. This is the system reinitialised.
You should then be able to raise and lower the window normally without it stopping.
Repeat for the other electric windows that are fitted with anti-pinch.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

Hi, sorry I've not updated my profile. My car is registered Jan 09 on a 58 plate..... the window won't go down to even try that, it was making it to halfway them struggling, got it back up and now it will only open about an inch and that's it?
C5 X7
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi, please do update your profile (click on your username at the top right of the page and select edit profile), as this will save a lot of time in providing irrelevant info). :wink: In the interim, I'll just replace it with a basic line about your MK III until you update it with whatever you want.

Going back to the issue and assuming you have a C5 X7 (MK III) then you will likely have one-touch operation on one or more buttons.

Advice is the same, but when manually closing the windows once they have been opened, you just make sure you manually raise them by lifting the window button to the first position and do not lift it fully up so that the one-touch operation does not kick in or it will keep lowering again.

Just keep your finger lifting the button at the first position and keep doing this until the window reaches the top and the advice is the same - when it is fully closed, hold the button until you hear or feel the click which only takes a few seconds.

Having said all that:

If the window is obviously sticking you need to lubricate the window channels. Use some silicon spray with a straw attachment (not WD40). Spray liberally up and down the inside of the side window channels on both sides. Lower the window to get the spray into all the channel and try raising and lowering the windows several times whilst spraying. This should ease the strain on the motor by lubricating the window channels.

I suspect that you may have a rusted or corroded regulator wire. Water gets into the door as intended and should drain out from the small drain holes under the door. However it can't account for rain over the years getting in and settling on the regulator wire. If the window is not used regularly, it will start rusting and become stiffer to operate - and then, you guessed it, on an open or close operation it will just snap.

I've had this happen on both front windows on my X7 (the driver one went at the exit barrier of an NCP car park!) and the whole unit was replaced under warranty. The passenger one went more recently and was replaced too. They just don't apply enough (or any it seems) grease on the regulator wiring to protect it, so will ultimately rust through and snap.

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I concur, I would silicone spray all the window channels while you are about it, this considerably reduces the friction that the motor has to overcome so should improve reliability.

Peter
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
I work at a place where i have silicone spray....no straw attachment, though should be easy to find......apologies for sounding thick, but when you say lubricate the channels,where exactly am i spraying the stuff? Do i need to remove the door card etc? i've not had much dealings with this stuff......the window is the same now, it will open less than an inch and will close again.......If I open it,it stops, if i try again, i dont hear the click of the motor,but i do when closing it again..... if you can please explain where i need to be spraying the silicone i would appreciate it.........many thanks..........
C5 X7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just spray the channels where you can see them in the top of the door, it will work its way down as you use the windows.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here, with the windows open of course:
channel.PNG

Marc
deano1970

C5 window

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
I have bought a citroen C5 estate, 58 plate 2.0 hdi....... been having trouble with the passenger side front window......wouldn't go down, well it would but only an inch and would close.... i've managed to open the window and lubricated the channels well but it hasn't helped..... my problem now is the window will not shut...... sometimes if i pull the switch right back to close it in one go, it will open about an inch, then drop....so now it's doing the same more or less but with the window stuck open........ is there any trick to getting the window closed again without removing the door card? it's being a right royal pain in the backside......needs to go in the garage opviously a problem with it,but i would like it closed even though it hasn't given rain? any advice? cheers
C5 X7
Steve Walsh
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Re: C5 window

Post by Steve Walsh »

I think you will need a new door window mechanism, When mine failed it wouldn't move without removing door card and taking it apart, Not a difficult job
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Have you read the handbook on how to set the ant-pinch? If you haven't got a handbook do a search on here for anti pinch I think there was a thread about it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

My money's on the winder mechanism, or more specifically the winder cable, being broken. It's sometimes possible to shunt the window up a bit with the switch, then move the glass up with your hands, then a bit more with the switch, etc, etc. If you can get the window more or less up then gaffer tape it in the closed position until you can effect a repair. Details of how to repair it and remove the door panel can be found here ------> viewtopic.php?p=538530
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

deano1970 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 16:36 hi,
I have bought a citroen C5 estate, 58 plate 2.0 hdi....... been having trouble with the passenger side front window......wouldn't go down, well it would but only an inch and would close.... i've managed to open the window and lubricated the channels well but it hasn't helped..... my problem now is the window will not shut...... sometimes if i pull the switch right back to close it in one go, it will open about an inch, then drop....so now it's doing the same more or less but with the window stuck open........ is there any trick to getting the window closed again without removing the door card? it's being a right royal pain in the backside......needs to go in the garage opviously a problem with it,but i would like it closed even though it hasn't given rain? any advice? cheers
Please don't create separate topics for the same issue - this is why we get duplicate responses!

Topic now merged with your original one.

Marc
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

Cheers for the replies. It's def not the anti pinch needing resetting, something is "grabbing" the window, it's almost up now so I'll leave it, but it makes some horrible noises when it does move, then you can see it struggling and next time, it must think there is something in the way and it will open to halfway again. Going to leave it now until I can get it looked at....
C5 X7
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

When you get the door card off you'll probably find the winder cable is like a rats nest and that's why it's struggling and making a noise. Been there - done that :?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(