Wheel trim painting opinions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Wheel trim painting opinions

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
The trims on my Xantia are getting a little bit tatty and as they are original i would like to keep them. :)
My idea is to soak them in a bucket of sugar soap solution to get them back to base level and then see where i go from there.

I assume i will then need to use a plastic use paint primer and then similar type paint for the top coat.
Should i also put a lacquer coat on as well, trying to keep the colour the same as original so all ideas and thoughts really appreciated.

Colin
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Wheel trim painting opinions

Post by mickthemaverick »

My cousin used to have a little home business based on picking up the discarded trims you see on the roadside, repairing and refurbing them and selling them on ebay. It was a profitable number for him when he lived in Northeast London but since moving to Colchester there are not enough discarded trims to make it pay. However his method was to clean the trims with paraffin and then rub them down with 400 grade wet and dry until smooth. He then sprayed a plastic primer, two coats of silver and two clear coats. They used to look brand new, he did my BX19 16v trims and they looked so good I had to mop the whole car to bring it up to match!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
rhgb46-35
My Cars: ciroen berlingo multispace mk1
citroen c15d champ van
peugeot 405d estates (3)
renault 4 tl (2)

Post by rhgb46-35 »

Plastic wheel trims eh - what are they? To keep up with the Jones's round this part of the world you must have alloy wheels on an SUV of some sort, complete with blacked-out rear windows!
Btw, why do all latest vehicles all have different weird curves and sculpted lines on them? If they were all 'wind-tunnel tested', then surely they'd all end up the same shape. Ah, fashion - got to have the latest I suppose, as with the alloys and the 'privacy' glass(or are people carrying drugs barons in their back seats?)
Regards and keep up the trim recycling!
RB
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Following with interest as my Daffodil needs her trims refinishing :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for the replies.
I want them to look like nearly new, i don't want them to look like a cheap set bought of the bay just as they are shiny and take away from the car itself as it has been touched up here and there but still looks good. May need to do some digging to find out the original colour they came in and tone it down a little bit.
Guess if i do the sugar soap solution i should get some decent size flakes of paint to go and match ?

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

I have tried to see where i have posted other pictures but can't find them.
The pictures I think are about 2 years old but if you look/zoom in on the n/s rear wheel trim you can see the paint peel.
Oddly enough now looking back at the pictures maybe the colour is a pretty good match to that on the car.
Yes she still has the same shine when washed, no extra dings just a bit of paint flecks missing on the front bumper.
DSC_0528.JPG
DSC_0529.JPG
Colin
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I would think that body colour will be fine Colin, as long as you get a good finish they will blend in with the body in a few weeks. :)
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Mick.
I will need to check the paint code for the car, and yes looking back at those pics they do look right with a similar colour to the body.
Just checked and those pictures were taken 03/06/2019 and the tyres had not long been put on, they are still on there and have done around the 22k mark give or take.
I reckon 1 plastic primer rattle can, 1 main paint rattle can and 1 clear coat rattle can will do the job then :)

And i will take pics of the process :)

Colin
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yep that should do it but if you use wet and dry to rub them down make certain they are properly dry and degreased with prepaint or a tac cloth, preferably with a heat gun/hairdryer before you put on the primer. If you have the slightest moisture in the form of microscopic droplets when you spray they will emerge through the paint in a few days and give you goose pimples. not good!! I'll look forward to seeing the pics. :)
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

CitroJim wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 05:06 Following with interest as my Daffodil needs her trims refinishing :)
Jim if i get mine somewhere close then i will be more than happy to have a bash at the trims on Daffodil, and do not forget i still owe you big time for the 2.1 lucas pump help so just getting the first salvo in for any future negotiations :rofl2: :rofl2: :hb: :bd:

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 22:22
CitroJim wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 05:06 Following with interest as my Daffodil needs her trims refinishing :)
Jim if i get mine somewhere close then i will be more than happy to have a bash at the trims on Daffodil, and do not forget i still owe you big time for the 2.1 lucas pump help so just getting the first salvo in for any future negotiations :rofl2: :rofl2: :hb: :bd:

Colin
That'll be magic Colin :D Thank you! I'll be down your way in May when I ride a cycle sportive around the New Forest ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Sent a PM Jim :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

What's Jim gonna do with a Boris?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

He didn't say which PM.

Could be a Jacinda
jacinda-ardern-vogue-march-2018.jpg
Or a Sanna
0202xdyi6i341.jpg
Or a Mette
download.jpeg
Or a Kolinda
sX0viF0-R4Le37vvoonoAZOAV9CqGGJW8RZgucPKCv4.jpg
There are a few other options too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 22:36 What's Jim gonna do with a Boris?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know what I'd like to do ;) :twisted: :roll: :lol:
Jim