C5 X7 towbar and reverse light.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fikse
Donor 2024
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '14 C5 CrossTourer

C5 X7 towbar and reverse light.

Post by fikse »

After 1 year in the wrapping, it was time to mount the tow bar. I got a Westfalia detachable towbar, with cabel kit for 13 poles and hooked into the canbus.
Short story: OK quality and nice fitting, mechanical instructions is pretty much useless, electric instructions was fine and straight forward.
In the Diagbox (9.68) I was a bit unsure what to change, so I did only the routine for "preparing a new car", selected trailer connector there and enabled it.
About the reverse light it was a thinkering this one. As I wanted to mount it legal (minimum distance from ground to bottom of light 10"/25cm, amongst other rules). I found a steel "lip"/ joint, vertical, see pictures. It just fit a 8,5mm holes for the M8 bolt. The light itself is physically low and wide, and with less than 26cm distance it was a close call.
One connector at the left rear side, who was unused until I connected the trailer control unit, seemed to have one thick wire, that seems to be alive permanent. Since the light is LED and consumes less than 1A, I took the chance to use this as power source. Signal for reverse i found at the big connector at the rear side window, a red thin wire there goes to the left reverse light.
Light is bought locally, tow bar from Westfalia and electric from "TrailTec" also local.
Cutout measures according to instructions was not correct, after some adjustments it fit nicely.
Cutout measures according to instructions was not correct, after some adjustments it fit nicely.
IMG_20210312_194016.jpg
About 10mm from the limit. I used some Tec7 around the glass to be sure no moisture to enter. Terribly done, but it does the job...
About 10mm from the limit. I used some Tec7 around the glass to be sure no moisture to enter. Terribly done, but it does the job...
This plug was unused until trailer unit was to be mounted. I used power from here to feed the relay to the reverse light.
This plug was unused until trailer unit was to be mounted. I used power from here to feed the relay to the reverse light.
Messy, but it works.
Messy, but it works.
This plug serves lights to rear, and here I followed instructions for electric mounting, by replacing some of the pins here, and I also found signal for reverse at this plug. I just soldered the wires for signal.
This plug serves lights to rear, and here I followed instructions for electric mounting, by replacing some of the pins here, and I also found signal for reverse at this plug. I just soldered the wires for signal.
This rubber hose at the left rear was fine to use for all cables.
This rubber hose at the left rear was fine to use for all cables.
Yep. I just let him hang there.
Yep. I just let him hang there.
Here you can see the mounting of the light.
Here you can see the mounting of the light.
Good light for using the mirrors
Camera is still pretty much useless in the dark, even with this light.
Camera is still pretty much useless in the dark, even with this light.
Reverse light works surprisingly well. I thought I would loose some lights by mounting it this low and long under the car, but this works just fine for my use.
Reverse light works surprisingly well. I thought I would loose some lights by mounting it this low and long under the car, but this works just fine for my use.
Not easy to see the light source.
Not easy to see the light source.
Registration in DiagBox went smooth.
Registration in DiagBox went smooth.
Life is a game - Just play it!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 towbar and reverse light.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Excellent, nicely done and thanks for the write up. Love the Air Freshener, by the way :-D

That light vastly improves reversing and from what I can see, does not appear to blind rear traffic being that it is mounted quite low. I think that you were right in that this is a better solution than trying to get aby decent reversing light LEDs - which runs the risk of electrical faults and may be too bright for following traffic being that they are mounted a lot higher.

You can see more in the rear view mirror than with the Camera, but this was a known failing with the early reversing cameras and low light levels / resolution. But as long as you can see enough close up you should be fine.

Nice Job. =D>
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
fikse
Donor 2024
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '14 C5 CrossTourer

Post by fikse »

Thank you Marc. Yes, I wanted a rather powerful light as I live and drive often in areas with no or very little lightning. Haven't used alot time recently to find supergood LED-bulbs for replacing the originals, as I have tried this with other cars and other bulbs previously, with limited effect. Still the local rules (more or less same as EU) limits the reversing lights as they state no more than 1 lux at 25meters. This light is 12W, 1130Lumen and 1 lux at 30 meter. So its not completely legal, but the best I could find within a reasonable price range and availability, and also fitting physically. It was a pain to find a light that is fitting and legal.. I will be surprised if the local MOT will look more into this.
The camera (or is it the screen?) is surprisingly bad in low light levels. I have used Pioneer ND-BC8 camera in Pioneer headunits in several cars, this works fine, and even tiny reverse lights helps to illuminate what you see via the screen. So I have been thinkering if I could try to replace the OE camera with the Pioneer, as I have one of these cameras laying here... But if its the screen who is troublesome, it wount help.. If I could just replace the headunit to a 2-Din without destroying the interiour.... :-D
Naah. Probably never doing anyting with it, as it works pretty fine now by looking into mirrors instead.
Life is a game - Just play it!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The head units are pretty ok resolution wise and you should have the DG4 screen with the SMEG touchscreen. 100% likely to be the camera quality, which is typically PSA, use a half decent head unit, but save pennies by using a crappy camera!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc