On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Re: On your Bike

Post by Skull »

Cheers Neil chance to clean/service the bike anyway .....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Skull wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 09:55 Another crash yesterday ...
Oh poor you Skull :( I wish you a quick recovery :) I know from painful experience with bruised (and broken) ribs are like... Being fit will help enormously...

Pleased the bike is OK but such a shame about your average speed :(
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 10:54 Hope the bruised ribs aren't too bad, in my experience the bruised rib after taking a tumble on a bike is one of those injuries that, just when you think you have found a comfortable position to have a nice sleep, a mere millimetre or 2 of slight adjustment has you yelping in pain.
Ain't that the truth Neil :evil: Been there, still have some pain relief pads to mitigate it ;)

Zwift for me again today... A lovely visit to France :D
zwift130321.jpg
That was after a half marathon this morning :)
strava491249470915387739.jpg
I'm in training for a virtual Half Ironman Duathlon over Easter... A 56 mile bike followed by a half marathon :D

They say Turbo Trainer miles are worth twice road miles so I'm looking good ;) 60 miles by that reckoning!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

CitroJim wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 16:54

Oh poor you Skull :( I wish you a quick recovery :)
Cheers Jim and good luck with the half-ironman .....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Speedy recovery Skull. [-o<
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A lovely 45 miles today :cool:
bikeride1403strav.jpg
The wind was a bit of a menace at times :twisted: It was good to be out in it, very refreshing an invigorating :D

The wind was such that it pulled my average speed down from a high of 17mph to 15.7mph!

A good road ride bests Zwift any day ;) Zwift is strictly for when the weather is bad...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 17:06 A lovely 45 miles today :cool:
The churches are such landmarks, and of interesting styles. I am a bit more familiar with churches in your manor Jim with various searches and finding different resources. I will no doubt amuse myself with some little findings out. Subject to your confirmation Jim I think I have found out the name and location of your Church here...

Pickled Egg Quiz Where is Jim's Church :?:

Came up with a successful delve today at home. A train one. Where was that taken I was asked with a picture of a train and some anonymous track somewhere in Northumberland. Well it was a Northern Rail liveried train but it wasn't on the east coast mainline no overhead wires. To be fair that leaves only the Newcastle to Carlisle line but the photo had a section of single line on it, and Newcastle to Carlisle is all double track. Looked up the number 144004

Bingo Aln Valley Railway....
apologies bike enthusiasts...well off topic!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love looking at churches and taking photos of them... I still have a few to go in my patch ;)
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 18:43
apologies bike enthusiasts...well off topic!
Trains are never off-topic for me Neil ;)
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Another day, another ride, another church :D

Taken during the TCR road test following its service and overhaul ready for the sportive season :)
bikeride150321.jpg
This bike has been on my Turbo Trainer all winter... I'm pleased to have it back on the road as it's a gorgeous ride and more comfy for long sportive rides than my Propel...

My TCR is a bit like a bike version on a Xantia Activa - comfy with great handling - whereas my Propel is like an MX-5 - fast and furious with great handling but a bit lively and bumpy!
tcrchurch.jpg
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

your really getting the miles in now Jim!! impressive! interestinlgy, have been chatting with a good riding buddy lately about frames and comfort! after he has converted a steel mtb to a more road orientated use, all be it a slightly more aggressive off road mtb steel frame, he was suprised by how Uncomfortable it was, having had another biking buddy of his bike in which he rode, Road focused alloy frame, he couldnt get his head around how an alloy frame would be more comfortable than a steel!

Skull, i hope the ribs heal quickly! i bruised some of mine with a rather sudden stop via a Tree a good few years ago, i can very much recomment Not doing that!!:-D a lot of people have said that Bruised ribs are worse than broken? having not broken them i cant say, but my word they doo create some interesting pains!!!

2 days a rain here had turned what was lovely dried out trails into hard going slogs again today, a lot fo fun sliding about mind, but constantly felt like the brakes were on! :-D
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 17:15 Another day, another ride, another church :D
another puzzle solved.....
Stoke Goldington this time Jim...St Peter's Church :-D
temp3.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 20:40 your really getting the miles in now Jim!! impressive! interestinlgy, have been chatting with a good riding buddy lately about frames and comfort!
My TCR is a carbon-framed bike Timmo but it's remarkably comfy considering it's a proper road race bike with impressive stiffness where it's needed... Conventional wisdom says any carbon bike would be a bit harsh and unforgiving but it can be made quite compliant...

I've never ridden a steel road bike but the aluminium ones I ridden have all been more uncomfortable than expected...
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 22:31 another puzzle solved.....
Stoke Goldington this time Jim...St Peter's Church :-D
That's the one Neil :D I was going to offer a clue that it's a significant distance away from the village down a dead-end lane but you did not need it!

I must try harder ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 04:40 That's the one Neil :D I was going to offer a clue that it's a significant distance away from the village down a dead-end lane but you did not need it!

I must try harder ;)
It was hard enough Jim :!: Your meanders on the bike can hit three counties very easily Bucks, Beds, and Northants so the net of churches is plenty wide enough. There is lots of info on the net but without "knowing" the area tends to turn into a visual search.

At least I know you rarely venture to the deep south and south west of Bucks, I came across this one in West Wycombe which is a fair cycle from Paggers which I thought was striking...a St Lawrence as well :-D

St Lawrence West Wycombe
Amanda Slater, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Oops apologies....Off topic again Bike Enthusiasts, but loosely connected to Jim's Buckinghamshire Bike Steeplechasing :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow :D That's one lovely and gorgeous church :cool:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Another very good bike ride today despite the relentless March winds :twisted:
ride160321strav.jpg
And another church ;)
church160321.jpg
My newly fettled TCR really is riding beautifully :D
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Bike doesn't like Mondays - after last weeks, I was again walking home on Monday morning - puncture. This was odd as I have puncture proof tyres, and when I got it off, the hole was on the inside of the tube. Fixed it anyway, and it was OK this morning. However, doing something else this evening, I noticed on lump on the tyre, once it was off, it was obvious that it was knackered, and why I got a puncture....
IMG_20210316_195319968.jpg
The tube was squeezed out through those holes.

OK though, I still have the tyre I put on the previous bike last year, and which has only seen a few 00 miles. Quick swap over, and good to go again!

What will break next Monday :twisted:
Richard W