C4 GP 07 1.6 HDi Handbrake faulty ESP/ASR Warning ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DanielG2021
My Cars: c4 GP 2007 1.6hdi egs

C4 GP 07 1.6 HDi Handbrake faulty ESP/ASR Warning ?

Post by DanielG2021 »

Hi everyone,

new to the forums and I've been searching for help with this issue and its brought me here. I have seen others having similar issues as mine but it seems like the handbrake faulty error can lead you down all sorts of paths.

I have read others having the error and also having pollution error and limp modes as well as gear box error.

I have a 07 Grand Picasso 1.6hdi VTR EGS which I've had for just close to a year this month. Its got 54k on the clock and its been great until around 6 weeks ago when i was reversing out the drive I got a BEEP and Handbrake faulty warning which went off and left no service lights or errors. I actually thought i misread the handbrake off warning wrong. Then on Saturday just gone i was driving out my housing estate when i got BEEP handbrake faulty , ASR/ ESP warnings then Service light. The car seemed to drive fine no limp mode or nothing, got to a place i could stop and applying the hand brake it engaged fine and i turned the ignition off and back on and all warnings were gone, and auto hand brake released and i drop 40 mile round trip with not problems.

Sunday just gone i went to use the car again and on my way home from 10 mile trip, I got same Error handbrake faulty and ASR/ ESP error which seemed to pop up when my passenger rear went over pothole but could be just quincidence. The errors all came up but I'm sure this time it also said ABS error, it all went again when i got home and applied the parking brake manually.

Monday i went to put some diesel in and see how it was running and just coming out my estate again beep Handbrake, ESP/ASR drove it to the garage and faults stayed with me all the way home. My brother has Delphi and a reader so he said to bring the car to him which is 8 miles away, started the car beep handbrake faulty, turned it off and on beep handbrake faulty then beep Depollution error and engine management light ESP light and P light on, got to my brothers turned ignition off , plugged Delphi in while engine management light was on and i got two codes

P1351 and p0405 exhaust gas recirculating sensor A circuit low

we couldn't see any other errors so i took the car home and it was fine driving home no issues.

The MOT is today and i started the car up this morning straight away leaving my estate beep Handbrake faulty, ASR/ESP error. I explained to the garage that its having issue with handbrake faulty and service light but it comes and goes. I was told if its got no errors and it passes it passes but if its got error its straight fail but he will obviously give it good look over see what he can see wrong.

Phone call from the garage, Its failed but not on any errors as none are showing but its failed on needs some welding on the sills and handbrake is not sufficient.

So as it stand he is going to look over the handbrake and he has somebody who is going to do the welding and the car will be a pass, but i have a feeling this Faulty handbrake is going to lead me into hell trying to fix.

I've done some googling and it always leads me to these forums so hoping somebody on here can maybe shed some light on the problem or any advice

Cheers
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C4 GP 07 1.6 HDi Handbrake faulty ESP/ASR Warning ?

Post by RichardW »

Welcome along!

The handbrake etc light, given that you have a EGR fault as well, is almost certainly the EGR valve. No idea why, but certain EGR faults trigger the ESP error, but don't put the EML on - the designers must have thought that one up on a Friday afternoon, after a particularly long lunch! I chased this fault on ours for ages before I finally discovered the EGR link. You can probably clean the EGR valve, but new genuine ones can be had for £100, and it's not nearly as hard to change as it first looks.

These often fail on the handbrake, but there is nothing wrong with it - it's something to do with the test, or the way it's tested, tell them just to hang onto the button to make sure that is applying max force, then it should get through.
Richard W
DanielG2021

Post by DanielG2021 »

Hi , Thanks for replying

The lad has just rang me from the garage and said the car is ready to be picked up, said the cleaned all the handbrake callipers because they were not releasing fully because it was caked it crap, which might have been causing the error but as there is no error faults or service lights on at the minute so he cant say what problem it was.

Its odd because the pollution error i have only seen came up once when i turned ignition on and off a couple times and i got pollution error and engine management light then the full lot again. All the other times its always handbrake faulty, ESP/ASR, and the service light on but every time i turn ignition off it disappears, so not really sure how i can catch the fault to be read for the handbrake.

I've read a failing battery can also throw up errors like this? is this worth checking before just getting myself a new EGR?

Cheers everyone
DanielG2021

Post by DanielG2021 »

Just update , I picked up the car and the lad said if you see that error again pop it straight up and I’ll read the code , jumped in the car and beep hand brake , esr/asr fault and service light, so he jumped in and put a reader on it and it pinged up the egr error the same error that Delphi flagged up but we never got the pollution or engine maintenance light.

The fault seems pretty much stuck on now soon as the engine comes on
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You really need to look at the live data on the EGR valve with the engine - the reported position should closely match the required, and it should hold steady at different revs. If it's wandering about then it's suspect!
Richard W
DanielG2021

Post by DanielG2021 »

Cheers Richard for your replies

I think i am just going to bite the bullet and buy one, I am going to try inspect it over the weekend to see if i can see any visual problems with wiring and clean the contacts, but i think saving the hassle i will just end up buying one and getting it fitted. I am pretty clueless when it comes to cars haha

The mechanic recommended ordering one from europarts but their cheapest is around £150 and car parts place near me has one for the same price, I have noticed a few members posts saying they picked them up for 100 or a little less, can anyone point me to a EGR valve that will fit my 2007 C4 1.6HDI thats a decent price and brand ? I was looking at one on ebay new with the brand Lemark? for £90

appreciate everyone's advice
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think the universally accepted advice here is avoid ECP! They have a diabolical reputation for wrong, broken, faulty, dead on arrival parts. I stopped using them after 3 orders each at different times for different cars were all faulty. Never again.

Have a look at Euro Car Care, (not to be confused with 'Euro Car Parts' these have a very good reputation:

https://www.eurocarcare.net/exhaust-gas ... ation.html
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
DanielG2021

Post by DanielG2021 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 11:37 I think the universally accepted advice here is avoid ECP! They have a diabolical reputation for wrong, broken, faulty, dead on arrival parts. I stopped using them after 3 orders each at different times for different cars were all faulty. Never again.

Have a look at Euro Car Care, (not to be confused with 'Euro Car Parts' these have a very good reputation:

https://www.eurocarcare.net/exhaust-gas ... ation.html
thanks mate, i will have a look. I was having a browse on a site called onlinecarparts.co.uk and they have so many with different brands, i had my eye on a Hella one for £107,comes with clamp and seal but there are so many brands and prices haha
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We can help with live PSA parts data Dan, but as they charge us for live data, we ask for a small £10 Forum donation. This will upgrade your membership, but will also mean you can ask for parts data and parts diagrams for up to 2 years. If you think this will be of use, see the details below. You can either go ahead and get the part from PSA, or you can use the part number to search on the aftermarket, knowing you have the correct number.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin will require detailed vehicle information that requires you to have made a current contribution to the Forum.
Donate

Further Information

Marc
DanielG2021

Post by DanielG2021 »

not sure what you mean by PSA? I'm not too clued up hahah

just read the post on the forums ,which explains it. I was just hoping maybe on some info on what brands are classed as cheap and to avoid, CTS near where i live where going to sell me a delphi branded one for £150 but i can see a delphi one online for £115, most of the car part sites i have checked they are around £100-150 but they have all been getting bad feedback for taking upto a month to get the part.
Last edited by DanielG2021 on 10 Mar 2021, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

PSA is the company name for the Groupe Peugeot (it stands for Peugeot Société Anonyme).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
DanielG2021

Post by DanielG2021 »

Just had a quick look in the peeing down rain to get my vin number and to see if I could inspect the egr which I just realised is pretty hidden but I’ve noticed with it raining I have water dripping down behind the scuttle panel onto the top of the engine and also very close to where I think the egr is

instagram photo grabber
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The VIN will be on the outer, lower corner of the passenger windscreen if you need it quickly.

Re - the water, you may want to check that the scuttle drains are not blocked up with leaves and other crud. These can be unblocked from under the wheel arches where there should be a flap where the water runs out: Video here which is easier than writing an essay!

Marc
DanielG2021

Post by DanielG2021 »

appreciate that mate i will have a look at that tomorrow and try sort that out, its odd because a couple months back my drivers door sounded like it was full of water and when i opened it you can hear it and then it dripped out of the bottom.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are usually holes on the bottom edge of the doors, to allow any water that may have got in (past the window seals, for example) to escape. It is not unknown for these drainage holes to get blocked by mud. Cleaning them out is a very good idea, as you DON'T want the cables for the window mechanisms to get wet and corrode!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!