On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 21:06 I've an eccentric lady I'm the village that covered an old steel Raleigh step through with a Chinese ebike kit! Hub motor so powerful it stretched out the fork drop outs! Things bloomin Lethal!
:lol: A member of the local chapter of the 'Hell's Grannies' by any chance? :twisted:

Ironically, I saw this when out for my run today... These NCN route markers were erected to celebrate the Millennium and this one has recently been refurbished :D There are a number in MK and I've seen them on other NCN routes well beyond Milton Keynes...
NCN6 Route Marker, MK Railway Walk
NCN6 Route Marker, MK Railway Walk
It looks good, by headtorch-light at least :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

That's rather nice Jim! All we have are the route stickers on sign posts! 😀
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

well the tyres stayed up and back brake no longer dragging :)
still squealing away though, disc rubbed and cleaned with cleaners, new pads and bedded in gently.
sure i read somewhere it could be vibration rather than pad/disc? and the cure may be to put some cable ties around the rotor vanes?

first ride of the year in the Ice, Snow, Mud, slush etc...more nervous than physical energy burned i think :-D
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Squeeling brakes could be a few options, glazed pads is the first port of call, shiny disc surface, mis alignment of the caliper causing the disc to be pushed to the opposite pad is a common one, doesn't take much,
Bedding in process I use is one of the hills in the village, minimal use of brake to said hill, then roll into it, is long enough and steep enough to allow me 4 to 5 good hard pulls on the brake to almost stopped from 20+mph, they need a little heat in them to clear out any residue,

I thought I best add a little context to my answers here, so a couple of images of my cycle repair workshop! This is V3, V1 was the original outhouse shed, 14x8ish, after 7 years it became a little small, replaced it with a Yardmaster Garage in 18x10! Just on the year anniversary of the new shed, the stereo amp over heated causing a fire early one Sunday morning in June, lost the lot, 2 bike frames survived by being Steel, all the alloy bikes Melted, so this is V3, the rebuilt, tweaked design shed!
IMG_20210107_112649.jpg
IMG_20210107_112657.jpg
Today's 2 jobs pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum!
IMG_20210107_112515.jpg
IMG_20210107_112903.jpg

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a lovely workshop Timmo :D

So sad you lost it all with a fire :( But good to see you're truly back in business again!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

A bloomin fresh one out this morning! Loop out around the beacon in St Agness, lots of climbing! But a beautiful day to be out!
IMG_20210110_104114.jpg
https://www.relive.cc/view/vXOnM7Gm55v
Little video of the route! 😉😉
Still struggling with the cold toes mind, temperature certainly didn't help today!

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That looks a lovely spot Timmo :)

Compared to recent days, it's been quite balmy up this way :) Hence why I cracked on with Daffodil today...

And today was the first morning in a while I've been able to run without getting very cold hands... You suffer with toes and I suffer with my hands in the cold :twisted:

Is that a Trig. Pillar in the picture?
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

yes indeed jim, is known as St.Agness beacon, would have been an old navigation/trig point, is also one up on Carn marth on the other side of Redruth, there is a little bit about it on a bird watching page here https://cornishbirdblog.com/2019/06/01/st-agnes-beacon/
you can see up to padstow on a clear day and down to st.ives, cant quite see the other coast as its not quite high enough, one of my favorite views is down on the coast path looking over Wheal francis and down the coast to Godrevy, all the troubles fade away sat there!! (another image on the link of the engine house views)

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Timmo :D Oh to be in such a magical place! You are very fortunate indeed ;)
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

What do you think of all the newspaper condemnation of Boris for his seven mile ride Jim? :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 09:58 What do you think of all the newspaper condemnation of Boris for his seven mile ride Jim? :-D
I've given it no thought and don't intend to Eric ;)
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

First crash of the season today :(

One large sheet of ice in an hours ride, luckily it was low speed as I had just gone through a flooded section, everywhere else was well into the thaw so caught me totally by surprise. Sometimes you can get away with a small patch of ice but the fact I was still on the ice when I came to a stop and almost fell back over when I got to my feet, tells me it wasn't savable #-o

Hip took the brunt of it so might try to get some padded foam sewn in but hopefully wont happen again .....as the Sergeant on Hill Street Blues used to say 'be careful out there ......'
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh ouch Skull :(

Hope no harm done an the hip is soon good again 👍
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

hope you guys are all good, no longing effects from the ice off skull??
Beautiful day down here yesterday, snuck 4 runs down the local 'mountain' , - its not a mountain really but as close as we get!! :-D Lots and Lots of walkers about, good few other cyclists too! hope you all managed to get out to some degree!

'58 C2 Code
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Cheers Timmo

Nothing major just bruised knee and hip - been out today for a 40 minute stretch ....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch