Alternator problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C3 picasso

Alternator problem

Post by Wawpeyo »

Hi, here i come with another issue, peugeot 308 VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
I forgot the fault code just now, but it came as reversible alternator speed sensor fault.
Wtf is a reversible alternator?
Really this have one?
At the moment not charging the battery and no other faults.
I have to suppose any alternator wint will do?
Whats the part number for it?
Cant really see the alternator so i will have to search for it.
This time lets try to make it short so all the questions in one.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Alternator problem

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As I understand it, a reversible alternator is one that can be spun up by an electrical current, and is used in vehicles with start/stop technology. This, believe it or not, helps simplify the engine bay, as you don't have to have both a starter motor and an alternator. However, that is the limit of my knowledge on these things.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Wawpeyo wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 19:17 Hi, here i come with another issue, peugeot 308 VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
I forgot the fault code just now, but it came as reversible alternator speed sensor fault.
Wtf is a reversible alternator?
Really this have one?
At the moment not charging the battery and no other faults.
I have to suppose any alternator wint will do?
Whats the part number for it?
Cant really see the alternator so i will have to search for it.
This time lets try to make it short so all the questions in one.
You have a Stop Start system, so a a reversible alternator is used. This provides the combined function of a starter and an alternator in one. It ensures the engine can be rapidly started.

It also turns mechanical energy into electrical energy and electrical energy into mechanical energy. In order to ensure there is always backup power for the safety systems to operate on Stop / Start systems, there is also a large capacitor that stores the electrical energy created through regenerative braking and from deceleration.

Your alternator should be a 180A unit, part: 5705PA (new) item (1) below, or 1625944380 for an exchange unit from Citroen. These are Valeo.
Stop Start.PNG
The capacitor is usually stored behind one of the wings - but be very careful about touching these as they are obviously highly charged and must be discharged before removing or handling (not that you should need to at present).

Reversible alternators can wear out a bit quicker as they are doing 2 jobs and are in constant use.

Again, if you have any fault codes relating to this , put them up now.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Wawpeyo »

Here is the screen which stays after i cleared all others which were all can faults, i believe the battery was too low and then caused the others also the oil gauge one, but dont think is related
Before you ask, yes i did change the battery for a normal one without the reset, should i?
Attachments
20201106_232134.jpg
20201106_232214.jpg
Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Wawpeyo »

Thinking back, i cant believe they did it again!! A bloody dynastart, like 30 something years ago i had a dkw van with dynastart (f5 if i remember well)and that gave me enough trouble, only that one if i dont wrongly remember was really big, something outside the engine or the gearbox, anyway getting old and forgetting things
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's another possible problem then too - when you say you replaced the battery a "normal one" what do you mean exactly? You do realise that you have to fit a specific AGM battery (70AH-760A-AGM) on this vehicle with Stop & Start?

AGM batteries are designed to accept regenerative current from the braking system of the vehicle, are designed for frequent engine restarts that Stop Start systems require and they have an extended duty cycle life to ensure that electrical equipment / systems in the car are maintained when the car is stopped at lights or in traffic for example. They also support extended operation in lower states of charge.

If you fit a standard non-AGM battery, then expect it to fail within 4 months!

Marc
Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Wawpeyo »

Yes i know, well i can fit a AGM , but that battery has been nearly not used, i dont mind if it fails in 4 months as long as its not causing the issue, to be fair, i will disconnect the start stop crap is useless and annoying, and never will save the money in diesel that the battery and the bloody reversing alternator cost when they break.
So, isnt charging and have that fault, the battery its just a month old and never used with the start stop feature,do you think anyway that will be the issue? Do i have to register the battery on the bsi?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can only tell you what is supposed to be fitted and the reasons why, with the possible consequences of not doing so. Whether you follow the guidance is of course up to you, but I don't think it will be that simple to fully remove the system, as I said the capacitor (voltage retention device) and the other electronics, engine ECU and BSI and other systems are setup for Stop Start.

If the Stop Start system detect insufficient charge / capability in the battery it will not use Stop Start.

This and similar systems are becoming increasingly the standard for new vehicles. The AGM batteries are intended to work with Stop & Start - and as I've already said fitting a normal battery will ruin it very likely within 4 months. The charging systems on this car are also designed to work with an AGM battery - so a standard battery could be abnormally affected by the charging from the alternator and the regenerative braking charge......

As for the battery type - yes the battery type / capacity is specified using the diagnostic equipment.

Removing one or more parts of the Stop Start system may actually cause you more problems down the line and you will have to notify your insurance as it will be a modification - as this system is part of emissions reduction technology and disabling such systems permanently may have legal implications....

Basic components of Stop Start as fitted to this vehicle:
  • Reversible alternator
  • Central voltage retaining device ECU
  • Energy accumulator
  • Vacuum pressure sensor
  • Special battery
  • Activation switch/Deactivation of the function
  • 2 Dynamic tensioner rollers
  • Reinforced accessories belt
  • Clutch master cylinder position sensor (manual box)
  • Gearbox neutral sensor (manual box)
Features:
  • Central voltage retaining device ECU
  • Management of the charging and discharging of the power storage battery
  • Management of the restarting of the engine by the reversible alternator
  • Management of the alternator/starter motor mode of the reversible alternator

Marc
Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Wawpeyo »

Ok, lets try a returnable agm, in case it sorts the problem, to be fair , i have another german car with start stop, just put a normal battery and programmed the start stop to remember to be off always and has been perfect for long time, if i want the ss just push the button and have it available, its maybe a beautiful system, but it have to be well engineered to not be annoying i believe
Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Wawpeyo »

So no any possible causes for that speed sensor fault more than the senaor itself or the battery? I believe there is no spare parts for that sensor, just buy a new alternator?
Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Wawpeyo »

Ok new agm, registered, same fault, any clues?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Did you change the alternator yet? If the fault code P1A85 is still there then that points to the alternator. And I note your Battery charge was 60% - I assume that was before you changed the battery - but regardless, if the alternator is faulty it may not be charging the battery anyway.....

Marc
Wawpeyo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Wawpeyo »

No, thats expensive just to try, will try to investigate a bit more before taking that
Frenchiemech28
My Cars: Citroen Picasso
Citroen berlingo
Citroen C5 X7
Citroen C5 MK2
Citroen C5 x7 2.7 hdi
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7 hdi
Citroen C3 hdi

Post by Frenchiemech28 »

Make sure you relearn the voltage sensor values, you tell the car you have replaced alternator and you have also replaced the battery as their are functions in engine ecu to do this with either diagbox or a non genuine full system scan tool as it will also allow faults to be cleared as a lot of faults will not clear on all Peugeot Citroen cars after 2015 unless you have told.it you have replaced the with diagnostic tools.

Just like cars with stop start that doesn't work there are tech bulletins on the issues ranging from engine capacitor module software update to telling car you have replaced the battery or the Serpentine drive belt.

There is even a tech bulletin on that alternator fault code you guys have reported to make diagnosis and repair simple