C5 X7 Front Lower Suspension Arm/ Track Control Arms

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carlsberg101
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

C5 X7 Front Lower Suspension Arm/ Track Control Arms

Post by carlsberg101 »

Good Evening, I am in need of your expert advice once again.
I've had an annoying "clonk" from the front suspension when braking sharply at slow speed and when I bump up the small step in the dropped kerb when reversing on to my drive. Having spent many fruitless hours pulling and prodding the front suspension I failed to find any movement. I took it in to the garage today and they have confirmed it is the front lower arms on both sides. Which seems to concur with some old threads on here.
I have again spent a long time this afternoon with crowbars etc. trying to replicate the movement but I just cannot seem to do it with the car jacked up on the drive. But I have resigned myself to replace the Lower Arms/ Track Control Arms anyway as I've got lots of enforced free time at the moment.
Any hints or tips that might make this slightly less harrowing? I'm looking at the EuroCarParts replacements (Product Code: 615735429 & 615735439) although I'm rather dubious of their quality so any alternative suppliers would be appreciated. GSF are considerably more expensive as usual but I did stumble across a new company to me, AutoDoc which seems cheap and they do lots of instruction videos, the only trouble is their parts numbers are a bit confusing.
Ref parts numbers VIN for my car is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] if anyone has the time to look up the correct part numbers.
Ta very much. :-D
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Re: C5 X7 Front Lower Suspension Arm/ Track Control Arms

Post by Lenny »

Personally I only ever use genuine parts or Lemforder.
I spent too many years working in garages and fast fit type places where we always fitted the cheapest and then did them again under warranty for the next MOT.
Never had such issues with Lemforder so that's my preference if the genuine bits are too ridiculously expensive.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

See my post here:

viewtopic.php?p=644065#p644065

It was impossible to replicate without getting the car off the ground and using 'The Swede' with a crowbar to move it.

It clunks on braking and stopping occasionally - depending on speed / force / etc. I've arrowed in yellow where the movement was on mine that caused the clunking and the bush that needed replacing. These can be bought separately (not from Citroen) and replaced without changing the wishbone.
clunk.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

Thanks for the excellent advice as always.
I tried again this morning and if I lower the car to take some of the tension off the lower arm I can just about see the slight movement in the Pivot Arm Lower Suspension Bush.
So I'm off to GSF to collect a couple of bushes for just over £30 as opposed to £591 garage quoted for 2 new lower arms.
Fingers crossed this works and wish me luck with a "DIY threaded bar and large socket" tool to extract the old bush and insert the new one. :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

£30! - Yes, that sounds like extortionate GSF prices. I think I paid about £10 for the bush - they are widely available on line and my mechanics ordered them directly and fitted.

Some Heavy Duty ones here cheaper £24.99 free delivery for the pair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-CITROEN- ... 2814670433

Marc
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

I did mine for the MOT in January. I had the same annoying knock for ages and couldn't find until the MOT test.

Very easy job to do a threaded rod, 2 nuts, 2 large metal washers and 2 large sockets to fit the either side and draw the bush out. I think the rod is M14.

Refit is opposite to removal remember which way they were fitted.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 May 2020, 11:17Some Heavy Duty ones here cheaper £24.99 free delivery for the pair.

I can't see where in the advert it says heavy duty. Are you sure?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On the bottom right of the picture.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul-R wrote: 19 May 2020, 12:06
GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 May 2020, 11:17Some Heavy Duty ones here cheaper £24.99 free delivery for the pair.

I can't see where in the advert it says heavy duty. Are you sure?
Heavy Duty.PNG

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Blurryell, you'd think they'd mention it down in the description which is where I always go to find out details of the product in question.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Maybe these Carlos Fandango super Jam Jar bins would help?
bins.PNG

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just for reference I recently got 2 complete Delphi lower arms off mister-auto on ebay for less than £60 each delivered.
carlsberg101
Peugeot 307 SW
Citroen Xantia
Citroen BX

Post by carlsberg101 »

Final Update:
I ended up replacing the Pivot Arm bottom bushes and both Lower Arms. Not overly complicated just fiddly and rather time consuming. All parts from GSF as I just wanted to collect them and crack on with it rather than waiting for delivery. Lower Bushes £31.96 for the pair and the Lower Arms were £170.04 for the pair after the usual discounts.

Removing and installing the pivot arm bushes took some trial and error. The socket and threaded bar just didn't work as the bottom of the pivot arm is flared so the socket wouldn't sit square over the bush. If you look at the special Sealey tool the cup that sits over the bush has a cut out so it sits square. I ended up cutting a short length of scaffold pole then cutting it lengthwise to open it out to fit over the bush. It wasn't pretty but it worked rather well, although I had to beef up the threaded bar to I think 12mm as the thinner bar just kept stripping its thread when I tightened it really hard. By the time I got to the other side it was quite efficient. The bushes still needed a fair degree of persuasion with a big hammer in addition to the pulling force of the threaded bar. The video for the Sealey tool makes it look so easy, for the sake of £80 I would be tempted to splash out on one if I ever had to do this again (that's assuming it actually works).

Once I had removed the lower arms I was surprised how bad the rear bushes were on both sides even though I could not see any movement when it was on the car. Removal and replacement was quite simple. The hardest part is getting everything to line up so you could get the bolts back in. It took a lot of faffing about with jacks and levers but it would have been a lot easier with an assistant.

Hopefully it will be a little while before I'm forced to get underneath this car again. (fingers crossed) :roll:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good work Carlsberg!
I was doing the upper arm bushes recently, and my 10mm bar was stripping to! and I couldn't easily get a socket to fit quite flat.. I must buy some proper tools for pressing etc.. mandrels or whatever they are called..

John
Sword2012
Donor 2023
My Cars: Citroen C5 MkIII 2.7 HDi V6 auto Tourer Exclusive (2009, bought in 2020)

Vauxhall Carlton Club 2.0 auto (1993, and lasted 27 years before reselling in 2020!)

Post by Sword2012 »

Hi, everyone! New member here, and first post :)

I've just completed the job above and would like to offer my encouragement to anyone trying it - especially as I'm now in my 70's!

Yes, same problem, with a knocking sound from the front of my 2009 C5 Tourer (while driving, you need your window open to locate its source ) on accelerating, braking, and occasionally on bumps. My local garage couldn't locate the problem originally but, when I took it for its MOT, and they got it on the ramp, they pushed the front wheels in and out. The lower suspension arm pivot support bush problem was obvious on both sides - and failed the MoT immediately!

Taking Carlsberg101's advice, and not wanting to hammer an alloy strut, I bought the Sealey VSE4785 bush removal/insertion tool for £69 off eBay, and the two bush/bearings from my local GSF for £30 as they had them in stock

The manual says that the original low-friction bolts and nuts should NOT be re-used, so I got two new ones of each from citroendirectparts.co.uk for £23 inc post

I used axle stands on both sides before taking the front wheels off, so I could use one side as a reference while working on the other. It also helped considerably being able to move the steering wheel freely throughout the job

After removing the nut and bolt for a bush, the first problem is moving the steel arm out of the way of the bush, so you can get the bush removal tool in. Here, I used a large crowbar to prise the two apart, followed by inserting a short length of steel pipe to keep the two wedged firmly apart while extracting the bush

The Sealey tool, which uses a 12mm threaded rod, makes the job really easy, without the need for a hammer. The bushes were the originals from 2009, but the tool still removed them easily. Make sure you oil all the threads before use!

After cleaning the area, replacing the bushes was just as easy with the Sealey tool, which registers and holds the new bush perfectly in place before pushing it in. Don't use a lubricant on the bush - you won't need it. Keep an eye on how far the bush is going in. At the end of its travel, when the bush flange hits the alloy support, the tension on your spanner will increase and that's when to stop...

As Carlsberg says, getting the holes aligned for the bolts at this stage is the hardest part. Working alone, using a crowbar for vertical alignment, and my knee for horizontal alignment, I was able to knock the old bolts in all the way from the front to get the holes aligned and keep them there. Once this was done, it was easy to carefully tap a new bolt in from the back, gradually pushing out the old bolt

The bushes that came out from both sides were totally shot, shredded, and easily wobbled by hand. I was amazed that the state of them hadn't been noticed on previous MoTs, because they rattle even when off the car...

Please note that I have nothing to do with Sealey. I was just really pleased with how well this tool (which I may never use again :? ) worked so beautifully and eliminated a potentially difficult and possibly damaging stage of the job

So, £122 for the parts to do this job, no labour costs, and half the price next time!

PS As your wheel alignment will definitely to need to be checked professionally after this job, this is a good time to replace your track rod links - which is a much more straightforward job compared to the bushes!
Last edited by Sword2012 on 29 Jul 2023, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.