Xsara driver's door locked unable to open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Matherratic
My Cars: Renault 16
Renault 18TS
Peugeot 309 GLX
Xantia lx
Xsara 1.4
C4 Picasso

Xsara driver's door locked unable to open

Post by Matherratic »

My Xsara hatch driver's door has locked and I am unable to unlock it. My suspicions are it is either the wiring loom or the deadlock. It will not open with remote or key. I can hear the lock activating. A few weeks ago the locking was activating as I opened the door. I thought it may have been me inadvertently pressing the remote. I need to know if there is a way to open the door without removing the panel, or is there a way of removing the panel without damage. I have already removed speaker and all screws,but I can't remove the trim near the wing mirror, only loosen it, and can't loosen the panel with the door closed. Any help would be appreciated as I need to remain in work. (I am just off for a few days over easter recharging batteries)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Xsara driver's door locked unable to open

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Try giving the door a firm 'push' from the outside - sometimes this can free a jammed pin - or with your leg pressed against the door, unlock the door with the control several times with the remote control. This may free it up as you are exerting variable force against the door.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Matherratic
Renault 18TS
Peugeot 309 GLX
Xantia lx
Xsara 1.4
C4 Picasso

Post by Matherratic »

Just tried that. No change to anything. Deadlock seems jammed. Still looks like I need to get internal panel off. Any suggestions?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Try locking the car using the remote with a door left open. Sometimes this can shock a lock open. Try pushing on the door as Marc suggests at the same time.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Matherratic
Renault 18TS
Peugeot 309 GLX
Xantia lx
Xsara 1.4
C4 Picasso

Post by Matherratic »

No joy yet. I have also considered feeding a metal rule down between the open widow to the lock to see if I could jolt it, but I have a fear of doing more damage. I guess at the moment it is electrical and not mechanical.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Not sure if this will help, it's a C5 lock but may be the same. The levers arrowed purple are the lock levers, when they're down as in the picture the door's locked.

The levers arrowed orange are the latch levers.

If you can get a hooked wire down in there and pull the purple one up it should unlock the door.
Attachments
Lock face.JPG
Lock links.jpg
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I had something similar on my previous C5 (in that the offside driver door would not unlock). What eventually cleared it was by leaning on the door while locking the car.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Matherratic
Renault 18TS
Peugeot 309 GLX
Xantia lx
Xsara 1.4
C4 Picasso

Post by Matherratic »

Thanks Gibbo I will try that in the morning. Just need an old wire coat hanger!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

my usual method for a sticking door mechanism is to repeatedly thump the outer door skin right in line with the mechanism whilst locking & unlocking with the remote, quite often does the trick.
If its stuck in a deadlocked state a wire coat hanger will do nothing.
It is possible to remove the door panel with the door closed but its a pain, you need to unbolt the drivers seat first to give you a chance.
Matherratic
Renault 18TS
Peugeot 309 GLX
Xantia lx
Xsara 1.4
C4 Picasso

Post by Matherratic »

Thanks for the help so far. I have removed the seat and have access behind the panel, but still cannot open the door. My instincts tell me it is the loom where it enters the door. Is there a way to use the wires I can see to deactivate the deadlock? Which wires do I use, and how?
Matherratic
Renault 18TS
Peugeot 309 GLX
Xantia lx
Xsara 1.4
C4 Picasso

Post by Matherratic »

further to my previous post, I still have a locked door, but have access behind the door panel, and can just get hold of the loom to the door lock. I read on another forum (which i cannot find now) that the lock can be released by using a 9 volt battery across the orange and purple wires, but i can see two purple wires. I also don't want to do too much damage to the wires, as access is limited for repairing them, Are there any suggestions for doing this? I generally only do basic maintenance on the cars, and don't fancy forking out a fortune for what is essentially a second car for getting to work and back.

thanks
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Probably a stupid question but if you can get into the car do you have access to the bonnet catch?
Could disconnecting the battery remove the electrical side of things and then see if the key works to unlock it, may take a good few minutes with battery off to disengage the alarm/deadlocking just thinking if car was started then .............................................
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Matherratic wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 12:55 further to my previous post, I still have a locked door, but have access behind the door panel, and can just get hold of the loom to the door lock. I read on another forum (which i cannot find now) that the lock can be released by using a 9 volt battery across the orange and purple wires, but i can see two purple wires. I also don't want to do too much damage to the wires, as access is limited for repairing them, Are there any suggestions for doing this? I generally only do basic maintenance on the cars, and don't fancy forking out a fortune for what is essentially a second car for getting to work and back.

thanks
I'll have a look at a wiring diagram & see if I can work this out. I need to know:-
Is it a mk1 or 2
need the RP number (location will vary depending on age, may be on the tyre pressure sticker label. Will look something like 0925 CJ)
Is it a 3 or 5 door ?
Hatch or estate ?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

wheeler wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 10:03
Matherratic wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 12:55 further to my previous post, I still have a locked door, but have access behind the door panel, and can just get hold of the loom to the door lock. I read on another forum (which i cannot find now) that the lock can be released by using a 9 volt battery across the orange and purple wires, but i can see two purple wires. I also don't want to do too much damage to the wires, as access is limited for repairing them, Are there any suggestions for doing this? I generally only do basic maintenance on the cars, and don't fancy forking out a fortune for what is essentially a second car for getting to work and back.

thanks
I'll have a look at a wiring diagram & see if I can work this out. I need to know:-
Is it a mk1 or 2
need the RP number (location will vary depending on age, may be on the tyre pressure sticker label. Will look something like 0925 CJ)
Is it a 3 or 5 door ?
Hatch or estate ?
It will be on the door post behind the locked door. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 10:46
It will be on the door post behind the locked door. :-D
D'oh #-o