Resetting Eolys counter with diagbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Resetting Eolys counter with diagbox

Post by RichardW »

Mike

You need to go back to the beginning....

What is is the actual message popping up?
If you run the global scan, what faults are logged?
If you go into the additive ECU what does it say the additive level is? Ditto the engine ECU.
If you go into the engine ECU what does it say about the additive level in the DPF?
Richard W
crabhunter
My Cars: 2012 Berlingo van

Post by crabhunter »

The message is "Warning, risk of particulate filter clogging, see handbook"
Global scan returns no faults
I've not found anywhere that tells me what the additive levels are yet, I'll have a look later.
Mike
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

RichardW wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 09:44 Mike

You need to go back to the beginning....

What is is the actual message popping up?
If you run the global scan, what faults are logged?
If you go into the additive ECU what does it say the additive level is? Ditto the engine ECU.
If you go into the engine ECU what does it say about the additive level in the DPF?
Don't forget though, in the previous to last video Mike has now gone in and changed the additive quantity level (as if a new filter has been replaced), although I would expect that to be overridden by the subsequent top up procedure.

He's already said he's getting the following:

"Risk of particulate filter clogging" and the orange triangle lighting up. & previously "Additive level too low".

I suspect that as he found a connector loose, it may not of been regenerating the filter, leading the particle clogging messages - which if resolves should gradually go if the system does start regenerating - maybe a good drive now will do or a forced regeneration.

As for the level though, there is still an issue there if the low level warning is still coming up.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

OK, so go into the engine ECU and Standard Parameter measurements, and then particulate filter (or something). You should be able to find in there the amount of additive in the filter, distance since last regen, and differential pressure drop. Post up these figures and I'll see if they point to anything.

I rather suspect that you have reached the pre-determined ash level in the DPF - this puts the light on but doesn't usually leave a fault code. Technically you should replace the filter, but it appears to be possible to get the computer to ignore it (the ash level, not the DPF)....!
Richard W
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

That's why I said that the measurement of the back pressure across the DPF should be looked at.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
crabhunter

Post by crabhunter »

This morning I've been out and spent some time finding my way around Diagbox.
I've had it a long time but I've never had to use it in anger until now.
It seems either I wasn't doing the global test in the right place or the software wasn't picking up the faults in all the screens where it should.
I have found some faults. I've cleared them but one popped straight back up and is a permanent one.
It's pointing to the DPF being full. I have read that if the pressure differential is ok then you can tell it you've fitted a new filter and it will be ok.
I've measured the pressure differential and it's 0 with the engine off, 7 at idle and 50 at 3k revs stationary.
I've no idea if those values are acceptable or not.
Mike
Attachments
20200208_083112.jpg
20200208_072142.jpg
20200208_071806.jpg
20200208_071754.jpg
20200208_071719.jpg
20200208_071346.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Mike - I have those codes and am looking at the data now - I'll post a response up shortly.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, now we have the fault codes - I think you were interrupting the diagnostic instead of letting it finish, which is why they were not presenting previously.

Codes:

P15B3: Additive adding: Additive level calculated lower than the minimum threshold, the engine management ECU indicates that the additive minimum level has been reached. This is when you get the message: "risk of clogging of the particle filter".

Suspect Areas: Particle filter additive reservoir and / or Particle filter additive

P1446: Additive adding: Calculated additive level below the critical threshold. The engine ECU indicates that the critical additive level has been reached.

Down grade Modes: Deactivation of the additive pump and also deactivation of the request for regeneration of the particle filter from the diagnostic tool.

Suspect Areas: Particle filter additive reservoir and / or Particle filter additive

P1490: Particle filter: Detected overloaded. There are 3 possibilities:
  1. For a volume flow passing through the particle filter of 300 000 l/h, the differential pressure is greater than 320 mbar for 3s.
  2. For a volume flow passing through the particle filter of 800 000 l/h, the differential pressure is greater than 460 mbar for 3s
  3. For a volume flow passing through the particle filter of 1 200 000 l/h, the differential pressure is greater than 500 mbar for 3s
Suspect Areas: Particle emission filter clogged or over-loaded

P1445: Additive adding: The quantity of additive injected into the particulate emission filter has exceeded the maximum threshold - the particulate emission filter must be changed. The volume free in the particle filter is not sufficiently large. It is necessary to replace the particle filter at the next service interval.

Suspect Areas: The Particle emission filter at the end of its service life.

Here is the dilemma:

Your particle filter (from the "cinder count in the particle filter") is now reading 100% - in other words the filter is now totally blocked!

No amount of regeneration will fix this; once it has reached anywhere 75% or above, it will have to be removed to be cleaned. Even an 'in-situ' clean will not likely be able to remove this level of clogging.

The second issue is, that because you have the system reporting there is both insufficient additive and also that the additive is below the minimum threshold, forced regeneration by using Diagbox has been disabled - in other words it will not allow a forced regeneration to take place for safety reasons and as it will damage the engine components (back pressure will be too high when filter is fully blocked).

So this is where you are at, and the quandary is that you may not be able to reset the additive level - because the particle filter is totally blocked and 'end of service life' as reported by code P1445. In addition, the additive pump has been switched off - because of the problems it has detected with the quantity of additive it thinks is in the tank, so is not injecting additive into the tank.

There was an Engine ECU fault P0215; Main relay control: Poor operation of the relay, the ECU is not being supplied as it should be - The engine management ECU is still supplied 1 seconds after the request to cut off its supply. Loss of supply of the engine ECU for 1 s without a prior request being detected, due to an incorrect value memorised at the following wake-up. This fault can disappear after driving for 5 minutes.

Suspect areas: Main relay, Electrical harness, Connectors

I'm not sure what impact that will have on the other issues if any though.

So my thoughts are: the filter has become blocked as a result of not being able to regenerate - if the assisted regeneration can't take place the filter will clog (especially if you are not doing long journeys where the exhaust temp can raise to over 550 °C). The purpose of the additive is that it lowers the temperature of combustion of the particles to 450 °C.

So how many miles have you done?
What is the average distance between regenerations as shown on the diagnostic (probably further down the screen you showed in the first picture?

I'm doubting the pressure differential sensors are at fault at this point as there are no specific codes saying that the readings are incorrect or out of range.

So if it won't regenerate because it thinks the additive is too low, this will lead to rapid clogging of the filter. This has now happened it seems, and even if you replace it or get it cleaned, the same may happen again until you can get the additive supply problem sorted out

At this stage as the vehicle is going to be difficult / impossible to drive, you may need to bite the bullet and get it taken to the dealer (I say this as they will be more familiar with the systems) rather than a garage that has no particular knowledge and would be a false economy. At this point and with all these other related codes, it has gone past a matter of not being able to reset the additive counter. Either way, the filter will have to come off now, so I suggest you plan accordingly Mike :(

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Basically what I said about the DPF. I suggested quite early on that the pressure across it should be measured.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

At least we now have the fault codes which we didn't have before and we now know the filter is blocked, and also that there is no problem with the pressure differential sensors themselves.

Marc
crabhunter

Post by crabhunter »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've only skim read this as I'm on my phone. I'll have a better read later when I'm on the laptop.
What resource did you use for the fault codes?
Mike
lanzarobbie
My Cars: berlingo 2009 1.6 hdi 110

Post by lanzarobbie »

Hi Did you get this issue fixed?

I had a warming a few months ago that the fap lewvel was low, i brought a new bag from ther main dealer, not cheap, i fitted it myself and took it to several places to get the level updated, but they couldnt do it, only clear codes.

So i booked it into the main dealer, but when i arrived, they wanted me to leave the vehicle with them as the mecanic still had 2 cars to deal with before mine, also he said it wasnt a quick job as they have to test drive it after then check it again on the computer, i thought it sounded like he was talking up the job.

I had no other transport, I said forget it, he said what are you going to do then, i said ive changed the bag, ill make a note of the km and ignore the low fap warning and yellow triangle that goes off after about 30 seconds.

About 2 weeks ago i got a new warning of possible filter blockage and the engine warning light flashing, this seem to go off after a while.

Ive been to another place that manged to get into the menu to change the additive level but after
it says its all done, the low warning comes back.

reading this post and others i was about to buy a diagbox and try to reset it as of the instructions here, but now i am thinking of taking it to the main dealer as someone said above, now the possible filter blockage warning could stop the diagbox from resetting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to proceed.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't update the mileage on this, you generally need to reset the additive counter to zero.

This is done with Diagbox, but can be tricky if you don't have the correct software as it can be done in more than one location. The additive pump can also need priming too. There are guided processes to follow, but it is not always straightforward. If the additive counter is not reset, the engine ECU will still flag the warnings as the quantity of additive is not physically measured. it relies on your telling the engine ECU that it has been replaced, so it can start recalculating the amount of additive in the system.

You may be better off just getting the dealer to do it, then they can check it has been done properly. Getting a Lexia kit and a suitable laptop is just the first part, installing it and getting it setup can be difficult too.

Marc
lanzarobbie

Post by lanzarobbie »

Thanks for your help
lanzarobbie

Post by lanzarobbie »

Update:

I took the van to citroen this morning unfortunatley the possible filter blockage light came on with the engine light flashing.

After 7 hours they said they cant they cant reset it.

They advised me to leave the van with them and get the particle filter changed at a price of around €2000.

I said tell the computer that its been changed as i changed the liquid additive bag and know its okay and i will take the risk.

After trying they said they have managed to reset the low additive warning but not the possible filter blockage and advised me not to drive it and to let them change it.

I said no and took the vehicle.

I started the engine, there is no low additive warning message but the posible filter warning came up with the engine light flashing.

After driving it a couple of minutes the light went out, i have driven it for about another 20 mins onfast roads and it hasnt come back on?

Do you think the reset worked and just needed a drive?

Thanks for reading.