C5 2007 2.0 HDI - hot and cold

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peterg
My Cars: Current daily Citroen C5 2007 but have had a range of French cars from Alpines, BX and my first car a Visa

C5 2007 2.0 HDI - hot and cold

Post by peterg »

Can someone in the know give me a list of the most likely problem.....passenger side heater blows hot and cold as required.....drivers side is permanently stuck on just above cold. From my research so far I can see that it could be the spindle of the flaps in the heater box having collapsed....or the motor in the drive'rs foot well having a spindle that is short and knackered.....or it could be a resistor bundle that I haven't yet fathomed where it is!
Is there anything else and what is the best way to diagnose it in a sensible order (that will probably end with me removing the dash as it's the biggest job and also sods law!)?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 2007 2.0 HDI - hot and cold

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This will depend on the type of heating system option you have- pop up your VIN (automatically masked from public view) so I can get you a diagram.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
peterg
My Cars: Current daily Citroen C5 2007 but have had a range of French cars from Alpines, BX and my first car a Visa

Post by peterg »

It's the dual zone climate control (model is Exclusive) - I am still researching and can now see that being a facelift it may well be the flap in the heater box and this can be accessed from under the dash and cut out and repaired or am I being optimistic!?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not exactly, it will most likely be the gearing at the flap reduction motor or the spindle to the other end.

If this is a Dual Zone system it has both right and left hand Air Distribution Motors and left / right Air Mixing Reduction motors.

So from what you have said already it is stuck on a set temperature on the Driver's side. That will be the last setting mid-change before the gearing wore out completely / snapped or the reduction motor for this function gave out. I would also confirm that regardless of temperature, you also check the directional motors are working.

Turn the blower motor up and then change the air distribution for the driver side through all positions and make sure that the air distribution motor is working fine (as you don't want to be doing the job twice if this is also not working).
C5 Airr Distribution Motor.PNG
C5 Airr Distribution Motor Right.PNG
Left Hand Side (RHD)

Item (3) is the Air Distribution Motor Not (2):-
Remove bolts and electrical connector to remove.
Driver Side (RHD)

The Air Distribution Motor is item (6) on this side.
If it is the Driver side, then you will need to remove the driver's Knee airbag. Disconnect the battery following the (BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure) wait 5 minutes and do not allow the battery terminal to make contact again! Remove the trim (3), and the 2 bolts. The diagram is for a left hand drive, but similar to the RHD model. Disconnect the electrical connector an 'b' and then remove the airbag unit carefully (2).

This should allow better access to the side trim to access the motors.
Knee.PNG
You should then have an idea which bit is faulty.

Marc
peterg

Post by peterg »

Excellent thanks......I believe the direction flap is working - as I drove home from work at 6am this morning on a straight empty road I had a fiddle with the various settings to confirm I had no heat on the drivers side and moved it from the different direction settings too. What are the best and worst case scenarios?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Don't panic and give it a few days.
Mine, usually the passenger side, will go doolally occasionally.
Sometimes it resets the selected temperature itself but more often just pumps out air at max temperature, which can be very hot, regardless of set temperature.
A couple of restarts and it reverts to normal operation.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I forgot to mention the part number: 6447RJ for the Air distribution motor - on the MK II system.

Marc
peterg

Post by peterg »

myglaren wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:32 Don't panic and give it a few days.
Mine, usually the passenger side, will go doolally occasionally.
Sometimes it resets the selected temperature itself but more often just pumps out air at max temperature, which can be very hot, regardless of set temperature.
A couple of restarts and it reverts to normal operation.
It has been like this for many weeks unfortunately and after the starter motor died the other week the car had a full re-set more than once. It's not coming back.....not without work.
peterg

Post by peterg »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 21:04 I forgot to mention the part number: 6447RJ for the Air distribution motor - on the MK II system.
thank you......assuming it is the motor, how easy is access once I remove the bits listed? Is it a simple enough job? (I have a well equipped garage and am a competent amateur I would say)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As per the previous diagrams, once you take the knee airbag unit off and follow the notes I mentioned, you should have access to the inside where they are located.

When refitting
CD flap Motor.PNG
When you refit the new motor - make absolutely sure you position the locating tab correctly at " e" when refitting the reduction motor for mixing flaps.

Marc
peterg

Post by peterg »

thanks......will do. I can see second hand ones on ebay for £25 which isn't to bad I guess. Would you be confident enough to buy one and have it ready before taking the trim and things to bits or could it be the broken spindle I've seen mentioned in a few threads?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so the issue is going to be one of 2 things:

A) The motor itself (unfortunately rarely the case that these go)
B) The shaft from where it connects to the motor to the heater flap itself which is onside the box.

As detailed in the thread below, the lubricant at the factory dries out and the constant heating / cold stress on the plastic over time causes it to distort, leading to additional strain on the cog housing.

I believe the C5 II and the Peugeot 407 shared a replacement / repair heater flap kit as shown here :
The same kit from Citroen (part number: 6480E3) is £111.46 inc. VAT.

This is a reinforced kit (but you may need to ask for the lubricant too.

Now the bummer is, that it's a dash out job to get the heater flaps replaced (and do both sides at the same time of course).

Here's a few pics from an earlier thread that show the problem:

viewtopic.php?p=349336#p349336

So if I were you, before buying anything, I would have a quick look first and do a 'reccy' which should be easy enough without much grief. Assess the situation as the motor may be fine.

I can probably help you with a dash out procedure if needed and you decide to go ahead - but see what the score is first.

Lastly, here's a bodge it video of a chap doing the repair on his 407 which uses the same system as the C5. He opted to repair the snapped shaft by cutting out part of the side and removing the flap control and bits, repairing with Araldite and twine, then reinserting and gluing the box plastic he removed back in again. The prospect of removing the dash was probably too much so he cheated! It seemed to of worked, although I do wonder if he's still with us, or has he passed out from all the glue sniffing!

Marc
peterg

Post by peterg »

Ok....thank you for your assistance that has very much cleared it up in my mind. I will check the motor and if that's ok I will then probably then go down the route of cutting the flap out and either repairing or replacing it....assuming that is actually possible on the C5 - the pictures on the linked thread make it look very tight. If that fails then I may just put up with it until I get rid of the car in a year or so! I don't think I have the time or inclination to remove the dash on what is my daily hack.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, let us know how you get on with the repair if you can. If possible, a few pics of a C5 repair would be useful if you get the chance.

Marc
peterg

Post by peterg »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 10:40 Ok, let us know how you get on with the repair if you can. If possible, a few pics of a C5 repair would be useful if you get the chance.
Will do.....although I am up to my neck in trying to sort out my Astra cabrio and race car before March so other than having a look I may not get round to doing anything before the summer!