Help ! Lost in France

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Help ! Lost in France

Post by xantia_v6 »

Paul-R wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 10:34
xantia_v6 wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 06:22...the A6/A26 junction.
A6/A31?
Of course. A6/A31.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

jml wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 10:50 I like the Rouen/Chartres/Orlean route however, to my surprise, just checking it on Google maps - which I usually find surprisingly accurate - they suggest that it’s about 2 1/4 hours longer to get to the Clermont area !
Compared to what route?

Boulogne to Abbeville is toll autoroute and I usually take the ordinary road which adds nearly half an hour to the journey. Having said that, I pay for the very first bit to bypass Boulogne and the dip down and then climb back out that taking the ordinary road would entail. It's then about a fiver extra to stay on the A16 to Abbeville. It's a tight decision!

We'll stay in either Rouen or Chartres. If Rouen there's a short stretch of toll autoroute that's more convenient to take. If Chartres, we'll take the inland road to the A154/N154 which is then free to use.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
jml
Locked user account
My Cars: A brilliant C8 2.2 HDi 173

Post by jml »

Hi Paul, sorry I wasn’t ignoring you but we’ve been out all day - there’s a medieval celebration in Uzès all weekend.

In answer to your question ‘compared to what route’, the fact is I can’t quite remember :? I’d just got Calais to our overnight stop a little north of Clermont Ferrand in Google maps and then I added the other towns and it showed it as being that much longer.

I probably shouldn’t have done it that way as I like to keep as far away from Paris as possible although I reckon that once you get used to the Francilienne, which I find quite helpful, it becomes bearable. However, I try to avoid autoroutes whenever time allows and I’ve found that using the ‘avoid tolls’ in Google maps can give you a reasonable balance between the speed of the autoroute and the scenery of the other roads, and save some money as well !

Unfortunately my wife hasn’t been feeling too special on this holiday, not helped by all of the switchbacks etc coming down from the Massif Centrale, so I rather fear our return will have to be whatever way Google maps declares quickest.

Once again, thanks for everybody’s thoughts and advice.

Cheers

Julian
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
jml
Locked user account

Post by jml »

I thought I’d bring this post up to date, in the hope that it might help anybody else experiencing the same problem - plus I think some may find the attached YouTube video of interest !

Well, before this problem, I had never heard of an Overrunning Alternator Pulley (OAP !) but that’s what my problem proved to be. The noise only happened below about 1100 rpm and so, with some delicate left foot braking, (whilst my right foot ensured the engine stayed above those revs with neutral selected), I managed to nurse the old girl back to the UK all ok.

Examination the next day revealed this:

As you May be able to see, the belt kicks around like crazy at tickover speeds, whilst the tensioner bobs away like mad, trying to control things. Fortunately, with the revs slightly increased, things return to normal. I guess it was the ‘tinkling’ sound that worried me most as I envisaged something mechanical beginning to break up.

I’m still astounded as to how a seized pulley can create so much of a problem - you’d think it would just act like a solid pulley but this, together with quite a bit more on YouTube convinced me the pulley was the problem.

Unfortunately, Citroen only sell the alternator complete at £600 odd. From a photo I took of the pulley, I was able to identify the marking “INA F 550426”. Unbeknown to me, INA are one of the biggest manufacturers of Overrunning Alternator Pulleys and, after a little Googling, I was able to locate one for around just £30 at AUTODOC.co.uk. Despite the web address, they’re based in Germany and I was pretty impressed with them with just the one, significant, exception that delivery time is NOT quick - it took over a week with no express delivery service offered.
1376CCE0-4277-47A4-B7D9-39356D681227.jpeg
Interesting to note that the original was marked ‘CHINA’ whilst the replacement was marked ‘GERMANY’. However I reckon a life span of 160,000 for the original isn’t bad, especially when, after researching it, I see that it’s often advised these should be changed at 60 or 70,000 miles !

Fitting it required a special tool, as Lexi kindly pointed out, but they’re not expensive however, despite originally thinking I might be able to fix it from within the wheelarch, I had to remove the alternator. This entails removing the fuel filter and all its various housings (quite why they are so heavy duty - 3mm thick steel ! - I have no idea ).

Anyway, once the pulley was replaced and everything refitted it all started perfectly and normal noise levels returned. I was well chuffed with such an inexpensive and relatively easy fix after fearing, 800 miles from home, that my noise might even be terminal with about 160,000 miles on the car !

A big thank you to all who posted on here with advice and I just hope that this may be of help to some other owners.

Cheers

Julian
Last edited by myglaren on 16 Nov 2019, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Post by Steve Walsh »

Good to hear it ended well.
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
NewcastleFalcon

Citroen 2.2HDi Overrunning Alternator Pulley

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

jml wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 07:58
Unfortunately, Citroen only sell the alternator complete at £600 odd. From a photo I took of the pulley, I was able to identify the marking “INA F 550426”. Unbeknown to me, INA are one of the biggest manufacturers of Overrunning Alternator Pulleys and, after a little Googling, I was able to locate one for around just £30

Cheers Julian
Thats the sort of tip which would be useful to find so just in case it gets "lost" in a thread called "Help! lost in France", I have changed my reply title to help the search engines :-D

Well Done!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 Nov 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Glad it is fixed mate....and that you got home all Ok
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
jml
Locked user account

Post by jml »

Thanks guys and that’s a very good idea Neil.

Just a thought though Neil - as the engine is in other Citroens, would it be worth leaving out the ‘C8’ and just have ‘2.2HDi......

Cheers everyone

Julian
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Great result in the end.

Going back to you post on Oct 26th, I find the "switchbacks etc coming down from the Massif Centrale" to be delightful and make the journey interesting. Horses for courses!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
jml
Locked user account

Post by jml »

Yes, I normally enjoy the switchbacks, but my wife sometimes suffers from inner ear problems - worsened by altitude and rapid, successive changes in direction ! :(

In fact, this time there was a surprising, and very pleasant, lack of traffic which allowed me to ‘enjoy’ the route even more than usual until, unfortunately, the inner ears started playing up - Oops, my fault :(

Although certainly not the most obvious choice of car for such a spirited drive, the C8, with that 173hp twin turbo engine, can prove to be a pretty surprising and enjoyable car for such a run :-D

Cheers

Julian
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Always good to get these end of saga posts, more so when they're informative & helpful to others.

Jeeps have taught me to suspect pulleys/tensioners as most likely source of strange noises. X-fertilization of different cultures/disciplines can often provide answers from unexpected sources.

I've bought from Autodoc once, simply because they were cheapest (can't remember what for now) & don't recall an extended delivery time - although, as I usually have parts sent to Devon, providing they're then when I arrive Friday night, that's good enough for me.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o