1.6 Hdi broke down now running but no power

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian Stan
My Cars: Fiat scudo van 1.6hdi
Bmw 330d
Rover streetwise rally car
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

1.6 Hdi broke down now running but no power

Post by Ian Stan »

Hi good people

I’m trying to get to the source of a problem for my daughter’s boy friend’s Scudo van , I’m a competent home mechanic who has built a car from scratch and fitted it with Suzuki Motorbike throttle bodies with attendant aftermarket Ecu .

The scudo broke down and wouldn’t run properly let alone drag itself along, RAC diagnosed EGR and abandoned it . I fitted a new cheap EGR and it made no difference but once it warmed up it would at least idle but no response from the throttle at all , mechanic friend loaned me a basic fault code tablet to read the obd. Only fault that came up was glow plug fault . Tried blanking EGR and instantly started , idled from cold and would static rev to 2500 rpm , would pull itself down the road at up to 25 mph in 3rd. Fault codes then suggested MAF . So bought a new one , and fitted today . Car is no better and still no power . Any suggestions gratefully received . Does have a bit of injector blow by on no 4 but that’s been there a while I’d imagine . The van is 58 reg and shows 115000 km on the clock no service history I can find.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 1.6 Hdi broke down now running but no power

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would suggest 'unblanking' the EGR as the engine ECU will likely throw up other faults as a result. Replacement EGRs usually need reinitialising when replaced depending on engine.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

Thanks Mark

I think I’ve tried every permutation , and when I first fitted the EGR my code reader gave me the option of “learning” its’ settings , this changed the problems but didn’t cure them ,the biggest single advance was blanking it off , but thanks.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi Stan, and :welc: to the forum. Might I ask that you post up the VIN here (it will be obscured so only Forum staff can read it). Then the Moderators can look up your vehicle, what parts are correct, and the correct procedures for initialising them (if needed).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@James: it's a Fiat Scudo a VIN is irrelevant in this case.
Ian Stan wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 00:52 Thanks Mark

I think I’ve tried every permutation , and when I first fitted the EGR my code reader gave me the option of “learning” its’ settings , this changed the problems but didn’t cure them ,the biggest single advance was blanking it off , but thanks.
Unfortunately, there's probably not a lot we can do here - although some of the Dispatch and Relay vehicles have Fiat collaboration and share engines, they often need a special S1279 module for the PSA Lexia interface to read and work with some of the engine and other ECUs on these vehicles.

Also this Forum has a policy of not entering into discussions regarding the crippling of engine emissions equipment as it's illegal for road vehicles in the UK (see A7 of our Acceptable Usage Policy: https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=56502)

All I will say is that although I can't help with Fiat branded vehicles for parts, cheaper parts are well-known to be DOA or of simply inferior quality. You may find the vehicle runs fine for a while with the EGR as you have it, but the engine management ECU will likely start throwing up errors. Blanking it off will only increase NOx emissions and fuel consumption. It's far better to try and locate the source. The intake manifold maybe be clogged up or you may have a problem with the solenoid electrovalves or the vacuum system (depending on your year and engine) for example.

Marc
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

Thanks " Give me a break" I understand your concerns for forum policy , and though common knowledge may refute your fuel consumption theory , I agree common knowledge also backs up your cheap parts advice . I'm just trying to get some progress towards finding a solution . I have retained the Valeo EGR and original MAF as neither seem to be the root cause . Also understand your VIN predicament even though the van was built alongside the PUG and citroen versions and is physically only different in badge and minor styling tweaks , I know there are Fiat forums but I felt the PUG/Cit would have greater depth of experience with the HDI causing the problem . I don't expect miracles but somebody may be able to throw some light on the sudden demise of this one . Thanks for all comments so far
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Did you check the basics like fuel filter etc?
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You might try cleaning the MAF. There is a dedicated MAF cleaner. I used carburettor cleaner, two shots did the trick. The MAF was only two years old and a genuine VDO one (spinoff from Siemens). It has been fine since, around four years now.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ian Stan wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 18:15 Thanks " Give me a break" I understand your concerns for forum policy , and though common knowledge may refute your fuel consumption theory , I agree common knowledge also backs up your cheap parts advice . I'm just trying to get some progress towards finding a solution . I have retained the Valeo EGR and original MAF as neither seem to be the root cause . Also understand your VIN predicament even though the van was built alongside the PUG and citroen versions and is physically only different in badge and minor styling tweaks , I know there are Fiat forums but I felt the PUG/Cit would have greater depth of experience with the HDI causing the problem . I don't expect miracles but somebody may be able to throw some light on the sudden demise of this one . Thanks for all comments so far
By increasing fuel consumption, I mean that the engine without the EGR will take longer to warm up and seal, thereby using more fuel until the engine is at temperature - hope that clarifies.

Normally I would be able to help you with some detail on any fault codes shown - as I relate these specifically to each engine management ECU as they can have slightly different meanings and parameter / reference values depending on system. The engine ECU can instigate a back up mode for any number of faults until they are resolved and this will limit engine power amongst other things to reduce engine / system damage. For engine power loss there should almost certainly be a fault code logged and that is what we normally ask for to save guessing - but completely understand why you thought of asking here. :wink:

Marc
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

doctle wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 18:19 Did you check the basics like fuel filter etc?
Yes changed that early on , thanks though
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

myglaren wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 19:15 You might try cleaning the MAF. There is a dedicated MAF cleaner. I used carburettor cleaner, two shots did the trick. The MAF was only two years old and a genuine VDO one (spinoff from Siemens). It has been fine since, around four years now.
Did try cleaning with brake cleaner , made no difference so changed it and still no difference , but thanks.
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

20191103_175132.jpg
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

Tried disconnecting various things, best result came from unplugging the circled plug , van would then rev quite freely up to 2500 as before and haul down the road sluggish in 4th up to about 35-40 mph. Another observation, though could be spurious , when reading all the various parameters on the android code reader, the last reading was water temp at -40 degrees C (minus 40) gauge on the dashboard was working fine, would it get a signal from the Ecu ? Or is the gauge independently analogue signaled
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

Will a later Gen Scudo/ Partner with the 1.6 have a DPF ?
Ian Stan
Bmw 330d
1969 Fiat 500f
Formula27 Fiat TC
Land Rover defender

Post by Ian Stan »

Unplugging the map sensor gives a flat reading of 988.24 mbar and engine rev's freely, connect and it rev's erratically depending on pedal position between 800 and 945 mbar(ish)