Buying a used C5 2.0 Diesel (2003)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

French_car
My Cars: Citroen C5 2003

Buying a used C5 2.0 Diesel (2003)

Post by French_car »

Hi all,

I am just about to purchase a used Citroen C5 2.0 Diesel (2003) but I have some questions I'm hoping some people here will be able to help me with.

1. With the one I am looking at, the acceleration pedal hangs much lower than the brake/clutch. The dealer told me this is supposed to be the case - I'm not sure if this is true?
However, I do not like that I have to put the pedal to the floor when accelerating up every gear. It makes me unsure if I am getting 100% acceleration or only 70% before I hit the floor.
This will only be my 2nd car, and my first diesel, so I can't just "feel it".

I have done some research on this issue and it seems that it's an easy fix. (based on adjusting the cable). How much labour time would a garage likely charge for this?

2. Does this model have a turbo? Can't seem to find this information anywhere.

3. I want to install an aftermarket stereo [Taken out of my dead Corsa]. After some research it seems I may get some issues with the anti-theft alarm if doing this?
Also, can I expect any compatability issues using this stereo?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Cor ... ctupt=true

e.g. Another ebay listing for a replacement C5 stereo says that "CD PLAYERS ARE CODED TO THE VEHICLE ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM VIA THE CHASSIS NUMBER OR VIN"
Would this make an aftermarket solution incompatible?

Thanks! Any help appreciated
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Buying a used C5 2.0 Diesel (2003)

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forum and French cars.

The throttle could well be as you suspect that the cable tension needs to be adjusted - mine certainly did.
It is a pretty simple fix and there is at least one thread on here covering it.

Most do have a turbo. Post your VIN and we can determine the precise specs and equipment that the car left the factory with.

Do you really need an aftermarket stereo? If you do install one there will certainly be penalties with it - generally loss of the steering wheel controls but also the central display will most likely lose functionality, to what degree I couldn't say as I have never even thought of changing mine.
French_car

Post by French_car »

myglaren wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 18:12 Welcome to the forum and French cars.

The throttle could well be as you suspect that the cable tension needs to be adjusted - mine certainly did.
It is a pretty simple fix and there is at least one thread on here covering it.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I will investigate further about the accelerator cable tension. I have found a topic here which might help me:
viewtopic.php?t=54391

myglaren wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 18:12 Most do have a turbo. Post your VIN and we can determine the precise specs and equipment that the car left the factory with.

Do you really need an aftermarket stereo? If you do install one there will certainly be penalties with it - generally loss of the steering wheel controls but also the central display will most likely lose functionality, to what degree I couldn't say as I have never even thought of changing mine.

I haven't bought it yet so don't have the VIN. I wanted to check these things I was worried about before comitting to purchasing. I viewed/test drove earlier today.
I don't know if this helps, but the car listing says "Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive 5dr". I am pretty sure it is a MK1 because it does not have a rear windscreen washer/wiper.

The aftermarket stereo is pretty essential for me because I do not listen to the radio, nor own any CD's (and burning a bunch seems like a hassle, combined with the fact they jump/skip while driving.)
I have previously been using a stereo which reads off of a USB device. I managed to get an adaptor to keep the steering wheel controls working in my previous car of a non-french brand!
I am aware that there are various steering wheel adaptor cables out there for the C5 which I hope I could get working. (If not with the Sony one I already own which I previously linked, then another one)

Intersting though that you think I might lose other functionality on the central display - I will have to research this to see if it is worth it.

Thanks for your reply
French_car

Post by French_car »

Interesting, based on advice from another thread, I may be able to keep the original head unit and get a USB adaptor:
Prev thread:
viewtopic.php?t=41862&start=15

Example adaptor:
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?p ... =70&cat=12

Though if this works or not this will depend on the model of my car, which I am unsure of at the moment. :/
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If it's a 2003 it will be a MK I.
Once we have your VIN (or reg) we can determine the exact Head Unit you have fitted, but I suspect it will be an RB2 system. There were several units fitted depending on options.

With this year (2003), the head units didn't have too much interaction with the vehicle systems, so you may get away without much loss of functionality, unlike the newer models that are far more integrated with the vehicle systems. Don't for get this model was designed 20 years ago, so MP3 was not widely available - although 2004/5 systems with RT3 Navigation could play MP3 CDs - but still no USB.

Also, depending on your variation the accelerator may be 'fly by wire' - with no cable, fitted with an electronic potentiometer instead - but again we'll know for sure once you pop the VIN up - but if you don't know the VIN, just pop the registration up and I can get it from that.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

French_car wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:04 Interesting, based on advice from another thread, I may be able to keep the original head unit and get a USB adaptor:
Prev thread:
viewtopic.php?t=41862&start=15

Example adaptor:
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?p ... =70&cat=12

Though if this works or not this will depend on the model of my car, which I am unsure of at the moment. :/
You won't have that system in your 2003 C5. That was the redesigned units from the MK II facelift.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This MIGHT give you USB and SD card capability;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-USB- ... 1438.l2649

:welc: to the forum, by the way.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think we need to ascertain the fitted system first James as that unit is only compatible with RD3 systems....

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is why I said MIGHT.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
French_car

Post by French_car »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:10 If it's a 2003 it will be a MK I.
Once we have your VIN (or reg) we can determine the exact Head Unit you have fitted, but I suspect it will be an RB2 system. There were several units fitted depending on options.

With this year (2003), the head units didn't have too much interaction with the vehicle systems, so you may get away without much loss of functionality, unlike the newer models that are far more integrated with the vehicle systems. Don't for get this model was designed 20 years ago, so MP3 was not widely available - although 2004/5 systems with RT3 Navigation could play MP3 CDs - but still no USB.

Also, depending on your variation the accelerator may be 'fly by wire' - with no cable, fitted with an electronic potentiometer instead - but again we'll know for sure once you pop the VIN up - but if you don't know the VIN, just pop the registration up and I can get it from that.

Hi Marc

Thanks for your replies and advice based on what systems you suspect I may have and the capabilities of the models around that era.

I dont have the VIN but the reg is *** ****.

I am not set on replacing the whole HU - I just want the ability to play mp3 files via USB, ideally whilst retaining steering wheel control functionality.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on both the radio systems and the accelerator pedal if this now helps you identify the options the car I am hoping to purchase has.

Thanks!
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 27 Apr 2019, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reg Masked
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, give me a few minutes to obtain VIN and then determine specifications.

Marc
French_car

Post by French_car »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:15 This MIGHT give you USB and SD card capability;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-USB- ... 1438.l2649

:welc: to the forum, by the way.

Thanks for the welcome and for the link - I will await Marcs response before proceeding on this!

Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Do make sure to read up on Citroens (especially if you have not owned them before). For example, before changing a wheel (where one or more will be hanging unsupported) make sure to lift the car to her full height using the suspension, open the bonnet, look for the cover marked with the word "Hydractive", remove it (there will be five slide 'rivets' holding it in place), and then loosen the cap with a steering wheel symbol on it. This is for the LDS reservoir, which is used for both the power steering and the suspension. If it is NOT loosened off before the car is lifted there is a possibility that air will be drawn into the reservoir, and then, when the weight comes back onto the wheels, the over-pressure could cause the reservoir to rupture. Loosening the cap allows the air to escape fast enough to protect the reservoir.

Please do NOT think that I am trying to put you off Citroens. I have owned five so far, and I am currently running a C5 Mk1 VTR estate (with a few issues, but I am managing (slowly) to resolve them (with the help of this forum)). For all of their foibles there is a lot to like about them. The HDi engine (which, it seems, that C5 you are looking at has) is, when looked after, very reliable and strong. Taxi drivers like it a lot, which should say how good it is.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 27 Apr 2019, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

French_car wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:27 Thanks for the welcome and for the link - I will await Marcs response before proceeding on this!

Thanks
Ok, so the vehicle is a C5 5 Door Saloon 2.0 HDi 110 (DW10ATED) with manual 5 speed gearbox.

You do have the earlier RD3 unit shown below.
C5 RD3.PNG
Now according to the specifications, you may already have the CD-Changer installed. So you will need to check underneath the front passenger seat to see if you can see the CD Changer. On later models it was underneath the driver's seat - so check there just in case.

The point being is that an aftermarket device for USB playback like James pointed to HAS to make use and mimic the CD changer port. So it can only work with 6 folders (like 6 CDs in a changer) although each CD 'Folder' can have many tracks. You won't get anything like MP3 track and artist info, but you can still use the steering wheel control stalk to fast forward tracks, skip tracks and pause / resume etc., just as if it was a CD.

So if you do have the Clarion CD changer installed, you can disconnect this plug from the rear of the quadlock and replace it with an aftermarket unit to read and play MP3 files from USB for example. There are different versions available, but all mimic a CD changer - so bear that in mind.

The benefit of this kind of option is that it leaves the head unit and harness intact and allows for dull use of the remote stalk used for controlling the audio functions, so you won't need a harness or adaptor.

If you are thinking about replacing the whole head unit, you will just need to get a compatible harness to operate the audio stalk. There are no critical functions affected by the Head Unit on this model.

Marc
French_car

Post by French_car »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:54
French_car wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:27 Thanks for the welcome and for the link - I will await Marcs response before proceeding on this!

Thanks
Ok, so the vehicle is a C5 5 Door Saloon 2.0 HDi 110 (DW10ATED) with manual 5 speed gearbox.

You do have the earlier RD3 unit shown below.

C5 RD3.PNG

Now according to the specifications, you may already have the CD-Changer installed. So you will need to check underneath the front passenger seat to see if you can see the CD Changer. On later models it was underneath the driver's seat - so check there just in case.

The point being is that an aftermarket device for USB playback like James pointed to HAS to make use and mimic the CD changer port. So it can only work with 6 folders (like 6 CDs in a changer) although each CD 'Folder' can have many tracks. You won't get anything like MP3 track and artist info, but you can still use the steering wheel control stalk to fast forward tracks, skip tracks and pause / resume etc., just as if it was a CD.

So if you do have the Clarion CD changer installed, you can disconnect this plug from the rear of the quadlock and replace it with an aftermarket unit to read and play MP3 files from USB for example. There are different versions available, but all mimic a CD changer - so bear that in mind.

thank you so much for your investigative work and advice!

There is already a 6-CD changer installed under the driver seat. I didn't realise this was a factory option - I thought it was aftermarket.
It may be clarion branded as you have suggested, though I thought it was a pioneer unit, but I might just be remembering wrong.

Am I right in thinking that the folders have to be named CD01, CD02 - CD06. and that each folder can only contains up to 99 songs?

Will the one james has linked work for me?

Are you able to advise on my other 2 questions - regarding if my model has a tubo and what type of accelerator pedal I have?

Thanks!