Help Please - I'm going to see an XM tomorrow

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saraphee
My Cars: Citroen Xantia S1 Exclusive (Thai Version)
Citroen ZX 2.0i (Thai version)
Lotus Elite
Isuzu Grand Adventure
Rochdale Olympic
Scimitar SE5a

Help Please - I'm going to see an XM tomorrow

Post by Saraphee »

I have just learned that someone living only 40 minutes from me has an XM for sale. It's been described as a Turbo - see photograph.
You now know as much about it as I do.
This is where I need your help - without knowing if it's Benzine (Thai word for non ethanol petrol) or diesel, without knowing what engine or what level of trim, what should I be looking for both + and - ?
From the photo it seems in reasonable shape - but we don't know how recent the photo, do we? It is not unusual in Thailand to photograph the car on delivery and use those pics when it comes to sale time.

Just a few pointers would be helpful what are the usual weak points, what should I look or listen for type of thing.
I'm pretty good at kicking tyres, which I've often found marks me as a person of sound judgement, anything more helpful than that would be appreciated! :-D
Saraphee
Lotus Elite
Isuzu Grand Adventure
Rochdale Olympic
Scimitar SE5a

Re: Help Please - I'm going to see an XM tomorrow

Post by Saraphee »

533720.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The first thing I would be concerned about is access to parts in Thailand; I know you have had some issues with bits for your ZX, but you’re talking about a different kettle of fish here.

I would have to assume the previous owner has been running it successfully to date, but I would really make sure you have access to spares.

If you want a breakdown of what the model and trim / engine it is, you would need to post up the VIN here and we can email you the full specs as it left the factory, with it’s build date etc.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Judging by the mirrors and trim, I think that it is probably a mid-spec (SX) late Mk1 XM (year 92 or 93), it is often very difficult to determine the specification of an XM just from a photo. It could be a 2.0 CT petrol or a 2.1 TD diesel.

Spare parts for and XM are not so easy to find, but in the 5 years I have owned mine, I have not needed to fit anything other than normal service items.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I can't remember if you had a Xantia with hydractive suspension, but the XM system is very similar, so it will probably have 7 spheres, and if the ride quality is not very good, then some of them will need replacing.

Check the sills for rust, especially around the front jacking points, this is a common and serious failing in UK cars, but maybe not such a problem in your climate.
Look at the front suspension spheres, if one of them is sitting higher than the other (relative to the lip in the bodywork behind it), it could be that the strut top is about to de-laminate (common in hot countries) which will make a nasty mess of the bonnet, and requires the strut tops to be refurbished.

Check that everything electrical works, especially the electric windows and all the aircon modes. If it has a dot-matrix display showing things like "door-open" the display probably has pixels missing, but these are easily repaired. Check that the ABS and airbag warning lights come on when the ignition is switched on, and then go off again.

If it has automatic transmission, check that it changes nicely, and does not hold on to the low gears for too long when accelerating gently.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

One more thing... Dip a paper towel into the LHM tank, if it comes out green (which it should) it is a good sign that the car has been maintained well. If it comes out brown or black, it is a good sign that the car has been neglected, or had minimal servicing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

If you can get hold of the vehicle's VIN, we can look up all the factory detail on the car.
It looks like it has a Series 2 nosecone, but some Series 1 other bits. Could be a transitional model (so-called Series 1.5) from c.1994.

Also check for oil and LHM fluid leaks; check coolant for signs of decent antifreeze/coolant mix (a sign that the car has been decently maintained) and not just plain water. Check for any signs of oil or creamy-sludge in the coolant header (expansion) tank. Dip a paper towel in there too.

If a diesel, check it starts easily from cold, if you are able.
Check any warning messages on the display.

Lift carpets in boot and all the footwells, and check floor (especially where floor meets sills) for rust. Check the four jacking points for rust.

If automatic, do a long and thorough test drive. If these boxes are neglected, they can be expensive and troublesome to repair. The manual boxes are just about bullet-proof.

Check out the heater/AC system works. When AC is turned on, both radiator fans should start at low speed immediately.
Chris
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

& then, of course, there's there's the matter of cost - because, after all, what might be acceptable for a "just want rid" price most certainly wouldn't be if vendor's asking serious money.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Saraphee wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 09:31
what should I look for...

A Honda? Not an XM anyway..

They’re lovely but I was struggling to find parts even in the UK back in 2007 when I sold my last one.

Seriously - rust in the sills, though this might not be so bad in your climate.
Electrical items that don’t work. Test everything.
Hard ride. Spheres could be flat and/or likely the ECU is no longer opening the electro valves and it’s stuck in hard mode. Not too hard to sort with a soldering iron and a couple of diodes..
Heating and ventilation. Test it all. AC too if fitted.

My experience is that the suspension is pretty reliable apart from the diode issue. Check the rubber flexi hoses for perishing in your climate too.
Saraphee
Lotus Elite
Isuzu Grand Adventure
Rochdale Olympic
Scimitar SE5a

Post by Saraphee »

UPDATE
We are 7 hours ahead of UK so when I went to see the XM this morning it was still dark at your end.
It's a Automatic 2.0 Turbo C.T. - Version 1.5 with a 2 grill stuck on the front ( a PO preferred and changed it in the late 90s) - See pics.
Positives - Current owner knows what he's talking about, his is not his only Citroen. No Rust, everything works Electrics, suspension, starts first turn of the key & I like the quirkiness of the interior. Maintenance and repairs been well done, a rare thing in the Land of Smiles and all faulty units replaced.
Done a genuine 110k Kilometres. LMH clear as crystal, new tyres, recent service. Spheres replaced 3 years ago
Negatives - O/S Front Wing, Bonnet and Roof need a respray., Front leather seats need recovering, Glove Box 'knob' broken, need to remove film from windscreen. Road tax not paid for the last couple of years.
Changed the radio so no steering wheel controls. Remote locking long gone.
CURRENT STATUS
We left on good terms I offered him 70,000 THB - £1702.41 at today's Brexit rate. This may seem excessive, but is way below the owners expectations and current values here. He will consider and let me know.
If he rings then I know he has agreed, if someone else rings to discuss then my offer has not been accepted (a bit of local negotiating technique here, all to do with 'face' and harmony
CONCLUSION and Responses
Thank you for all the helpful advice and concern, for those who raised the spares situation - if Thailand's Classic Car owners were to depend on local stocks there would be no classic cars. I am told there is no Thai word for planning, likewise I doubt there is one that is understood for maintenance. This does not lead to agents and distributors holding vast stocks of components. When they do something happens to prices!
I have just decided to replace the 3 spheres in y Xantia, having picked the brains of this forum I knew what to order and got a price from the Main Dealer in Bangkok. I bought them from UK over the internet, paid shipping and import duty and had a bill of exactly one third of that I was quoted locally.
I made a list of those points that you all were kind enough to offer and checked everything out, with one notable exception - no test run! If my price is accepted then we will test drive to my friend the mechanic's workshop and he will give it a final check over for me. If the price is not accepted than it wasn't worth the effort of getting the thing out of the shed where it is stored. A minor thing I forget was to check out ORGA number and the paint colour - anyone know what t is?
Saraphee
Lotus Elite
Isuzu Grand Adventure
Rochdale Olympic
Scimitar SE5a

Post by Saraphee »

FORGOT TO MENTION
So it's an 8 valve engine!
It is also fitted with LPG so there's a large tank in the boot which will need changing to a donut.
Attachments
IMG_20181219_111011 (Large).jpg
IMG_20181219_110825 (Large).jpg
IMG_20181219_110754 (Large).jpg
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Good luck with the negotiations. I think that the amount that you have offered is OK, you wont find a well-maintained, rust free RHD example in the UK any cheaper (or at all).
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you want the ORGA, I’ll need the VIN and for the specs,as I mentioned earlier. (Lower left outler windscreen)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

XM VIN is in a cut-out on top of the front right inner wing.
Do do a test drive of that auto box, both cold and well warmed up.
4-digit ORGA (RP) number between the hinges on front left door.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow