C5 X7 Fan Blower Motor Location

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KingB
My Cars: C5 X7 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+ on 59 plate.

C5 X7 Fan Blower Motor Location

Post by KingB »

Hi Guys, great forum and so many knowledgeable people!

I have spent many hours trawling through the forum for answers to my issue and have made some headway, but need a little further help.

I went on holiday recently and left the car outside the house, anyway came back after leaving it in a very wet UK only to find that the blower motor isn't working and had a slight burning smell (switched it off immediately).

All of the AC head unit appears to operate okay and I have seen many posts about the HMCU and the possibility that the blower motor is stiff due to light rust or corrosion. I have followed the posts with the pictures to try and locate the HMCU, then realised that it as not for my car LHD instead of RHD, but I persevered and found the info I needed in the Pollen Filter change post (brilliant by the way).

So, before I invest in a new HMCU (Hella), I wan to remove the motor and give it a whirl and an oil, but need help to identify its location. from what I have read, it is pretty easy to remove o(one cable and one clip) but I am not sure of the exact location or if I need to remove anything other then light trim to access it.

I have a 2009 C5 X7 Tourer RHD, so if one of you amazing God's can point me in the right direction of the location of the blower motor and any possible procedures or exploded view graphics, that would be really appreciated at this time of goodwill to all men and Citroen owners.

Thanks in advance.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: C5 X7 Fan Blower Motor Location

Post by Paul-R »

I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove the blower motor but I am a bit concerned about this burning smell. Have you inspected the connection between the HMCU and plug to look for signs of burnt plastic? This could be on both the plug and the HMCU.

On my Mk1 C5 there has been a faulty connection and as a result this part had burnt away and, as well as a replacement HMCU, I had to repair the plug. Depending on how bad the damage is this may entail having to chop the old plug off and solder a new length of loom and plug in place.

If the plug is OK then you could try the bridging-the-wires trick to see if the fan spins up OK.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
KingB

Post by KingB »

Hi Paul. I am an electrical engineer and would associate the smell with the motor windings becoming hot if the motor was stalled.

From what I can see of the HMCU, there doesn't appear to be any burning, and burning plastic has a different smell.

I have read of the faulty connections pin they earlier models and also that this was supposedly resolved on the mk2 facelift?

I have also heard of the wire bridge, but nothing detailing which wires as I could only assume the heavy gauge ones add they'll be carrying all of the current?

I need to get the HMCU OUT first for a look, which will be difficult as a shoulder injury does not make me add dexterous as I used to be.

In relation to the motor removal, from what I've seen, it is just a plug disconnection, pressing of a clip and a turn of the body. I imagine that as long as I can get it out enough to give it a whirl, it might be enough to loosen it up assuming it is that which is causing the problem, but of course the wire bridge should negate having to remove the motor giving it full tilt and hopefully not catching fire.

Looking at the older HMCU pictures I've come across, it is just a pair off high current transistors working back to back to share the load as the ones I saw were only rated at 30A each and the motor will take more than that, certainly at stall or start-up.

Many thanks for the response though and appreciate and info on the wire jumper process thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

X7 Air Blower Motor.PNG
Ignore Steering wheel that's for LHD vehicles, we are blessed with most of this gubbins being on the left hand side!

Disconnect the air blower (12) connector ( as "e").
Press the tongue ( as "c") ; Turn the air blower (12) clockwise to disengage it from its retaining lugs (In the direction of the arrow "d").
Release : The soundproofing under the fascia panel and around the air blower (12).
Remove the air blower (12)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KingB

Post by KingB »

Thanks Marc.

Can you please advise on the orientation of the motor please, it’s a bit difficult to make out from the very good picture.

From the side?

Regards,

Barry
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

KingB wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 16:52I have also heard of the wire bridge, but nothing detailing which wires as I could only assume the heavy gauge ones add they'll be carrying all of the current?Looking at the older HMCU pictures I've come across, it is just a pair off high current transistors working back to back to share the load as the ones I saw were only rated at 30A each and the motor will take more than that, certainly at stall or start-up.
The thick wires, yes. In one of the threads somewhere it's detailed how to do it.

If your HMCU works the same as mine it's fitted on the earthy side of the motor so connects the motor to earth.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

KingB wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 17:25 Thanks Marc.

Can you please advise on the orientation of the motor please, it’s a bit difficult to make out from the very good picture.

From the side?
Regards,
Barry
Hopefully this puts it in context: the motor itself is pointing towards the left hand side of the car. Those flat square panels are at the top. The parts (1) & (2) above are the motor extracted from the housing.
X7 Heater Motor.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc