RNEG to RT6 to SMEG+ IV2?

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

biohead
My Cars: 2017 DS5 Prestige

RNEG to RT6 to SMEG+ IV2?

Post by biohead »

Has anyone on here any experience of retrofitting a SMEG+ IV2?

I'm looking at Android Auto options, so just trying to see exactly what work is needed to install a SMEG+IV2 to a car originally delivered with an RNEG unit. I know it's going to be pricey, but before I start hunting for parts I'm trying to get a feel for what is possible and whether it's worth it.

My C5 X7 was originally delivered with an RNEG unit. I then changed that out for an RT6 - that just meant a new screen and new HU. I could use the existing wiring and nothing else was needed. (I also had a C4 and swapped out the RD4 for RT4 which was a bit more work).

I believe with the SMEG+IV2 it again is a new screen, but this time also a new cable between the HU and screen? Is it just the one cable or are there other wiring mods required (I don't think so)?

My primary concern though is the SMEG+IV2 is a CAN2010 unit - will it even work with my X7? Or do I need to get a CAN2004 specific HU (if such a thing exists?) - which I feel would be like looking for a needle in a haystack :? I'm struggling to find info on the differences between CAN2004 and CAN2010 - just references on a few foreign language sites selling hardware.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: RNEG to RT6 to SMEG+ IV2?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As far as I am aware the SMEG +IV2 will work with a C5 X7 (which uses CAN2004) architecture as the later X7 had touchscreen units available about 2015/16.

Apart from the new fascia (due to removal of physical switches) for some controls and the hardware, you are going to have to pay a sympathetic dealer to configure it and there is a likelyhood this will be a stumbling block. Their systems are set to be able to download ECU software and any necessary system firmware based on their VIN database automatically when the car is hooked up to PSA servers. As your VIN won't contain the SMEG as a fitted option, they won't be able to do this automatically. The BSI cannot be configured to accept a SMEG unit as the options are not there in your existing BSI's software, so it cannot be selected.

The only way I am aware of is to use a VIN from an X7 that was fitted with the system and using a manual configuration to down load the software to the BSI first, then you should be able to configure the BSI with the new SMEG unit parameters and the other areas that need to be set. So whether the dealership will even entertain this is questionable - as if anything went wrong with the BSI during a download attempt it could brick it.

I've only known one other person attempt this in France and he was 'in the know' and has association with a main dealer.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
robdevil
My Cars: DS5 DSport 2.0HDI

Post by robdevil »

Hi. I know it is old post but I need help. Where can I get brown plug for DS5 touch screen? I want to retrofit smeg+ IV2 and this is only one thing I don't know how to connect. i do have video cable but touch screen has additional socket and I'm sure it is power socket. Old screen has different power plug so wiring diagram would be useful as well.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You probably don't have the correct wiring harness. They are all different.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MacSlavko
My Cars: DS5 2.0 BlueHDi

Post by MacSlavko »

robdevil wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 11:36 Hi. I know it is old post but I need help. Where can I get brown plug for DS5 touch screen? I want to retrofit smeg+ IV2 and this is only one thing I don't know how to connect. i do have video cable but touch screen has additional socket and I'm sure it is power socket. Old screen has different power plug so wiring diagram would be useful as well.
If still lacking the brown (power) conector to the screen, you can use Dupont wires. There is just enough space to plug them on the pins and they sit well in. I did so on my RNEG display retrofit previously...
Now, there are 4 pins on SMEG+IV2 display. I believe 1 is live (+), 2 is becklight and 3 and 4 are ground (-) as on RT4, 5 and 6 systems (same manufacturer) but that needs checking out!

On the photo is an actual SMEG+IV2 display with two Dupont wires plugged in.
Attachments
dupont male female 30cm 1-600x315w.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG
MacSlavko
My Cars: DS5 2.0 BlueHDi

Post by MacSlavko »

robdevil wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 11:36 Hi. I know it is old post but I need help. Where can I get brown plug for DS5 touch screen? I want to retrofit smeg+ IV2 and this is only one thing I don't know how to connect.
You can connect it without brown connector, simply by using Dupont vires. They sit perfectčy to the pins on the back of the screen and don't fall out.
That's how I done it on RNEG modiffication and those pins are the same.
Here tried on my spare SMEG+IV2 screen (not tested in the car) and it feels the same.
Nowt much to loose if you try that option really as those vires are fairly cheap...
Attachments
IMG_2590.JPG
dupont male female 30cm 1-600x315w.JPG
robdevil
My Cars: DS5 DSport 2.0HDI

Post by robdevil »

Thanks but it wasn't that easy. I've got it sorted now.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230523_002851_Chrome.jpg
thorr001
My Cars: Peugeot 508 SW 2.0HDi 6AT (RHH, 2011)
Peugeot 205 Rallye 1.9l (75kw, 1989)

Post by thorr001 »

Hi, I am close to installing the SMEG+ as the RT6 replacement, just missing the screen brown connector layout.
To confirm the picture from robdevil above -

Number 1 goes to slot 9 thats clear
Number 2 goes to slot 11
Number 3 goes to slot 15
Number 4 goes to slot 14.

Is that right? :)

First number is the screen connector, the slot number is the main unit connector.