Peugeot RT4/5 Update Problem

This unit is the RT4 and RT5 system and is made by Magneti Marelli
Main differences between RT4 & RT5 - RT5 has Bluetooth Hands Free, faster Navigation calculation and on C4 & C4 Picasso only, USB ports and a High-Res screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

gambler072
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7

Re: Peugeot RT4/5 Update Problem

Post by gambler072 »

I didn't say that something is not working, but that in the navigation menu (second picture) I think that "a/c" and "vehicle parameters" are missing among other options (navigation, map, telematics, config etc.) I saw some C5s with same hud having the option to choose between compass, analogue clock and a/c information on the left side of the main navigation screen when, for example, playing radio or cd.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right, that makes a little more sense now you have explained it in a bit more detail.

No, those are not official displays for this system. Some of those settings were available on the earlier RT3 Navidrive systems on the MK II C5

As you can see from the manual in the picture below, you have exactly the same display menu - with one exception, the Video menu at the bottom is not available on your screenshot. That normally means either you don't have the video input or it is not enabled (that's another reason why I wanted your VIN).
RT4 Manual.PNG
What you are seeing on those youtube videos or other sites are people who have modified the configuration files, intended for other systems.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

Ok, perfect! I've done a firmware update the very same day I bought the car, so I didn't check the menu on the previous firmware, so I thought that I lost 2 functions, since I saw them available in P407 C5s. Actually, the difference between my screenshot and the one from the manual is only "VEHICLE DIAGNOSTICS". Is there solution for this? Am sending you the vin in pm. Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I've checked your specs and have everything I need. We can forget the Video option as you only have an audio jack installed - so that's normal not to have that option.

However, as with some major firmware updates, the result can require some re-configuration with Diagbox to ensure the correct options are set. Sometimes the firmware can reset these options (or more likely the BSI loses the connection with the Head Unit ECU when the firmware is being applied and because of the nature of the updates to the firmware of the head unit, the BSI needs telecoding to restore the correct options.

You could first of all try a BSI reset to reinitialise the ECUs:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

If that does not restore the option for the climate and the diagnostic:

If you have access to Diagbox, you will need to confirm the correct climate control unit in the configuration menu and also to check all the options are correct for the Head unit (but only the options that are not set correctly - don't change options that are not intended for your car or it will make it worse). Always right down existing values BEFORE changing anything so you can easily put them back first.

If you don't have access to Diagbox or are not sure what you need to restore, the easier solution will be to take it to Citroen, tell them you have updated the firmware to 8.31 and need the BSI options recoding. Specifically,tell them the climate display on the screen is missing (the correct climate module needs telecoding) and also that the diagnostics option is missing from the menu after the update.

Some corrections made for RT4:

-Screen black following update with the CD 8.20 reference 1606858680
-Frozen screen
-Freezing on the home page
- Slow start of the system
-Blank screen and random reboot of the system
-Displaying the phone number instead of the contact name during a call or in the call log
-Corrected random detection of radar POIs
- At startup, black screen with the message "HARD DISK EXAMINATION"
- Loss of the display of the map following a software upgrade or cartography
-Poor contact displayed during a phone call
-Stops and restarts when crossing a junction in Madrid

Marc
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

Thank you very much for the answer and the help. In the following days I'll try BSI reset, if that doesn't work I'll check with a guy that is familiar with Citroen diagnostics, hopefully he'll know how to sort it out. I'll give you an update when we finish everything. Thanks again

P.S. Is it necesary to remove both cables from the battery, or removing only negative will do it?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You only need to remove the negative, but make sure it does not re-touch the terminal - or it will wake up the ECUs again and you will have to start the cycle again. That's why after opening a door when the BSI has gone to sleep will wake it up along with selected other ECUs and then the whole routine has to be started again.

Marc
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

A quick update:
I've done 2 BSI resets in last few days (the 1st one to try to regain missing options, the 2nd when I was changing the battery) and nothing happened. Everything is the same as before, but I've checked user manual and I didn't find VEHICLE DIAGNOSTIC option anywhere. Maybe some first x7 models didn't have this option (mine is 07/2008). On the other side, today I've checked a friend's x7(same year as mine), with similar rt4 player, and he has both climate control and vehicle diagnostic options.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so as I said in my earlier post - major firmware updates may sometimes require the Head Unit ECU options to be configured. To do this, you will need access to a Lexia / Diagbox. You'll need to run through the Global Test, then select the Telematic or Audio ECU from the list, and within there use the manual configuration to set the correct options - which will include the correct type of Climate control (Mono / Dual zone) to get the setting back on the screen.

If you get to this stage, I can help you go through the correct settings - but whatever you do - don't change anything will nilly and right down existing values or you could end up affecting the car systems.

The car will have the same functionality as your friends car - it is just down to the configuration after the update.

Marc
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

Thanks for the reply. Are you 100% sure that RT4 should have both "vehicle diagnostic" and "climate control options" because in a user manual that came with the car there's no such options? If so, please send me correct settings, because I'll ask a mechanic to use his Lexia to check this. The other thing is that I don't want my menu to look like friend's since his climate control is not working correctly - on the left side of the screen (where I have a compass) he has a climate figure (something that looks like a car seat) but when he changes the temperature or air flow position, nothing happens on the screen. There's no temperature value or anything else, on the spot where temperature should be shown, he has only two horizontal lines.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You have to remember that the RT4 was also available on other models and so for those systems that are different to the C5 they may have their diagnostic fault log and climate control temperature settings displayed via the screen. On the C5 X7, by default, the diagnostic fault journal is displayed on the instrument panel LCD screen and activated by a press on the 'CHECK' button on the right hand side of the dash.

To give you an example, this is from the RT4 manual from another older vehicle, where you can see the options I mentioned. But these are not intended for the C5 X7 as the temperature and climate is designed to be displayed on the A/C control panel and as I said the fault logs on the dash screen. The Head units are used across a range of Peugeot / Citroen vehicles and have to be able to work with the different systems. There is nothing wrong with your display - that is how it is designed.
RT4 Screen Other Model.PNG
Now the RT systems can be manipulated to display other information unofficially, using a programme called Mirascripts. This is able to enable some options - but they are not officially supported and I can't go into that here.

I suggest you leave the unit as it is - there is nothing wrong with it. :-D

Marc
gambler072

Post by gambler072 »

That's what I was wondering. I was able to find only one x7 with the same system as in mine, and since he had such options I thought my system is faulty. But now, I'm thinking that someone used mirascripts in friend's car since climate control option is of no use, and in diagnostic option you can only check which options are turned on or off, nothing else (e.g. child safety, parking sensors, lane assistance...)

This is what a user manual shows for my car. No climate or diagnostics options available:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, those options are activated by dedicated buttons on the X7. An example on the MK II C5 I had with the RT3 Navidrive system - here most of the diagnostic functions and settings / options activation status was displayed on the screen as it didn't have another display menu. On the X7, these functions are handled by the separate dashboard LCD menu when configuring using the steering wheel controls menu for Driver's welcome function, Directional Lighting, DRLs, Auto Handbrake, timed headlamp off settings etc...

Marc
Calin009
New User
My Cars: 407 Coupe 2.7 hdi

Post by Calin009 »

Hi

I ve updated the system from a new genuine 8.31 Peugeot CD....now the system does not function anymore. It asks for the Update CD and the process begins again

The error is : Error during flasher loading. The update was done with engine running ...no issues when it was in progress.

What do I have to do now ?!

It s a RT4 407 coupe , earlier version 7.01
Attachments
28512475_10155306724438372_648861098_n.jpg
28512474_10155306724333372_1771244225_n.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Whoops!

Ok, can you confirm if this is an ORIGINAL CD or a copy of the Dealer Firmware CD? It is my understanding that there is a security file that causes problems if making a copy of the original file - which will cause problems.

If you are 100% sure it is an original firmware CD, then you will probably find it is because of the problems between the major firmware updates and some incompatibility issues going from your version directly to 8.31. Many others go in smaller stages.

There is one possibility you can try - Carefully remove the unit. Make sure the upgrade CD is loaded. On the underneath of the unit, there should be 2 very small, white plastic switches hidden down one side of the casing. If you hold these in TOGETHER, with the CD loaded and the car running, it should go into 'Bootloader' Mode. This may work for you.

Marc
Pero75
New User
My Cars: Citroen C6 2.7hdi

Post by Pero75 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 17:23 I'm not sure what your problem is. The temperature is displayed on the images, so is the car position (arrow), and the Navigation screen. What is is you are expecting? Position information can be obtained by pressing the right hand steering wheel button and this should open op the side menu on the navigation screen with your current position information.

You are not missing anything, that is how the system is designed. If you want to experiment with mirascripts for the RT series then there are plenty of other sites with information on this - we don't provide that help here as it is an unsupported modification to the vehicle's systems and can brick your system if you are not sure what you are doing.
Have the sam problem after upgrading on SW 8.31 (Citroen C6)

Some functions are just missing in menus and clima button does not work.

Problem solved with Mirascript.