Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 18:22 Bob would normally only use Waitrose for his normal ingredients.

Waitrose in my experience is expensive and the quality of a lot of its stuff is quite poor, especially the bits most important to me - the fruit and veg..

Aldi fruit and veg, so far, is very good indeed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

harryp wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 18:24 Yes, Aldi have reduced their ranges; out with their lemon, lime and grapefruit marmalades - they were better than any others I had tasted. They stopped stocking their New Zealand venison, wonderful stuff and and also beef and piri piri sausages for the BBQ. Don't understand the strategy, enless it's just to irritate me :shock:

The strategy is simple they stock what sells, you may be a fan of NZ venison but if it's only you and a tiny few others out it goes.

The Germans, Aldi and Lidl are privately owned companies, they've made inroads here because they create a low price image, they do that by selling almost exclusively own brand products but in advertising make comparisons to the brand leaders not their competitors equally good own brand goods.

They also chuck in short term offers of DIY stuff and clothing but there's not much chance of you getting it unless you can be there on restock days.

Despite their progress they're still tiny compared to Tesco and Tesco after their disastrous financial mess up three years ago have made a substantial come back, the shops have been sorted the staff better paid and a lot of the none core stuff has been unloaded.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

I fully acknowledge what you say, but was curious, as everyone I have spoken to who has tried Aldi's venison reckon it was the best they'd ever tasted; and was not own branded as such :wink: Should see if it is available from elsewhere.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Harry, I'm rather amazed they ever sold venison!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm a big fan of Aldi now they've built a local store. 79p for a Super Seeded wholemeal loaf that tastes so much better than the other over-priced offerings from the more popular shops. They're also the only supermarket (that I know of) that sells freshly squeezed orange juice that's not made from concentrate. Ditto for real greek yoghurt and they've also turned me onto buffalo mozarella cheese now. And with real ales at £1.20 a bottle, I can't help myself being a regular.

Typically though, I've started noticing more bulk buyers, clearing their shelves of specific products faster than they can restock them. Many of the "convenience store" owners are among them who can't even get similar prices from their cartel wholesalers.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 15:12 I must make a confession here... I've started shopping in Aldi - not for the specials but for the food...

I have to say it's all most excellent and so cheap too.. I'm saving a fortune :) The quality is above reproach.
Although we're doing a bit better now that we've cut our travel costs significantly (thanks Ion! :) ) we've often found ourselves a bit tight in the ££ department the last couple of years so instead of shopping at our traditional Asda and Tesco (which we considered to be cheap and slightly more upmarket respectively :lol: ) we started using Aldi and Lidl a lot... and also found ourselves pleasantly surprised.

I would say of the two we find Lidl better partly because it is closer to us, but there are certain items they have that Aldi don't have, so we don't use Aldi very often anymore. Lidl also have more "brand name" items if you want those in the same shop as the cheap stuff, for example they'll carry Pepsi max as well as own brand whereas Aldi only have their own brand colas. I think the meat in Lidl is also a bit better than Aldi.

A surprising amount of Lidl own brand stuff is very good - I'd say more so than Asda own brand stuff. For example the Lidl cheese slices I much prefer over the more expensive Asda ones, and they have recently started stocking our favourite Cathedral city cheese which was previously a trip to Asda or Tesco. My favourite bag of crisps comes from Lidl and is also the cheapest! We tend to do most of our shopping now at Lidl which is saving us probably 40% over Asda, which is not super expensive to start with... for the few items that Lidl don't have (mainly things like gluten free) we then do a small top up shop from Asda for just those items if we need them.

Lidl are also famous for their bargains on tools, a couple of weekends ago they had a massive amount of genuinely useful and decent looking tools on display and I was gutted that I didn't have a pocket full of disposable income to buy several of the items on display for use on a rainy day.. :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Think the biggest issue I have with Aldi is that it seems to attract some of the less desirable clientele (have twice come back to people lingering around my car attempting to look inconspicuous and scarpering at speed when I headed in that general direction), and that I seem to have a talent for visiting when it's at the most busy - meaning a complete free-for-all shoulder and elbow fest. Don't know if that's just our store and my timing of a wider issue.

I used to use Lidl periodically back when I was in Aberdeen, and the stuff was decent. What tended to put me off was that they tended to rotate stock ranges so often so I could never be guaranteed to find the same things twice. Being a creature of habit, that is always a good way to annoy me.

Definitely do need to try Aldi again...never had any issue with stuff from there, just have found it an unpleasantly chaotic place to shop the last few times I was there.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 13:28 Harry, I'm rather amazed they ever sold venison!

I used to buy loads of it for my youngest son and wondered why they haven't had any for a long time now. Haven't seen any pheasants there either.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Zelandeth wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 16:32 Think the biggest issue I have with Aldi is that it seems to attract some of the less desirable clientele (have twice come back to people lingering around my car attempting to look inconspicuous and scarpering at speed when I headed in that general direction), and that I seem to have a talent for visiting when it's at the most busy - meaning a complete free-for-all shoulder and elbow fest. Don't know if that's just our store and my timing of a wider issue.

Strangely I find just the opposite with both Lidl and Aldi.
I think I may have mentioned elsewhere that the Lidle I use seems to have predominantly Polish clientele and I have been very pleasantly surprised at how courteous, polite and considerate they are in contrast to experiences in some of the big name supermarkets.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 14:46 Typically though, I've started noticing more bulk buyers, clearing their shelves of specific products faster than they can restock them. Many of the "convenience store" owners are among them who can't even get similar prices from their cartel wholesalers.

I noticed that last time I visited... I think it's terribly wrong to be honest.... Mind you. I've seen the same in Tesco too...
Zelandeth wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 16:32 Think the biggest issue I have with Aldi is that it seems to attract some of the less desirable clientele (have twice come back to people lingering around my car attempting to look inconspicuous and scarpering at speed when I headed in that general direction), and that I seem to have a talent for visiting when it's at the most busy - meaning a complete free-for-all shoulder and elbow fest. Don't know if that's just our store and my timing of a wider issue.

Zel, if we are thinking of the same branch - the one most local to you - then the best times to visit seem to be fairly early in the morning, say, before 10..

It's then largely used by us older generation; I guess the less desirable elements are have not arisen from their wretched beds at that time...

One time I visited in the afternoon it was totally different and frankly not too pleasant...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The only unpleasant experience I have had was to witness an English bloke in the predominantly Polish Lidl,.
His trolley set of the alarm as he was leaving and he started ranting and screaming at the checkout operators, the (very nice) security lady and the manager when he came over.
They were all very polite to him but he was having none of it, saying they thought he was a thief and impugning his good character.
He drew lots of disgusted looks from all the other shoppers and his wife and daughter looked like they wanted the earth to swallow them up.

I didn't wait to see the outcome of that but did hope he was attempting to sneak something unpaid for out.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, the Poles and Eastern Europeans in general have excellent manners and are a joy to be with...

Our local Aldi seems to be staffed by them and they are lovely on the checkouts...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 17:43 Steve, the Poles and Eastern Europeans in general have excellent manners and are a joy to be with...

Our local Aldi seems to be staffed by them and they are lovely on the checkouts...

The ones I work with certainly are. Lovely people.
Also I use a Polish garage for work on the C5 that I can't be bothered with and again, excellent in every regard.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Will have to try heading in earlier then Jim!

My usual shopping destination these days is Morrison's. It's big, but not as crazy as the Kingston Tesco, and more importantly is laid out in what to my mind is a more sensible way. They also don't do the infuriating thing that Tesco are especially bad for in reorganising the entire store every other week so you can't find anything. It's also very light with nice wide aisles. Bakery is far better than Tesco or Sainsbury's as well - haven't tried the one at Aldi get so can't compare. Yet.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

If you ever need convicing there IS too much choice, pop into Sainbury's - & find the salt!

Jim, surprised at your comment about Lidl's. As far as I can make out, the only difference is the packaging/labling AND Aldi is sooooo much more expensive, for certain things but not cheaper for anything - & they very rarely reduce anything.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o