Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

Post by van ordinaire »

I'm amazed anyone can spend those sort of sums in a supermarket - much less Lidl's, based not only on my paltrey spend but casual observation of others' habits. one interesting thing I have noticed is the number of traders/caterers who treat it as an alternative to a cash'n'carry, judging by the huge quantities of just a couple of items so many buy.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

For the pedal pushing cycling fans among us Lidl are doing cycle bit this coming Sunday (20/08);

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?id=311
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I don't know if there's a standard for them but I've bought them from many places from diy shops to builders merchants and the all seem to be the same.
Where there is a difference if you have a multi tool is that some tools/blades are open ended and some closed so they won't fit all.

Like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/380754645768?c ... 81&crdt=0

https://www.multitoolworld.com/mb13a
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I must make a confession here... I've started shopping in Aldi - not for the specials but for the food...

I have to say it's all most excellent and so cheap too.. I'm saving a fortune :) The quality is above reproach.

The only problem is they don't do non-dairy yogurt which is an essential to me but apart from that, I can get all I need to satisfy my vegan dietary requirements :D

Aldi had some decent bike clothing in last week. I bought some socks and very good they are too...

I have to watch the specials though. My reason for shopping in Aldi is to SAVE money but it would be far too easy to spend the savings on specials...

Lidl I've tried but I'm not so keen on.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Have you tried Aldi's eggs Jim? [-o<
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 15:54 Have you tried Aldi's eggs Jim? [-o<

Yes, they're British so unaffected by all the recent hoo-haa :) They all have little lions on them ;)

Mind you, having said that, I'm not feeling particularly well today....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I have difficulty understanding how a vegan can eat the unborn young of the domestic fowl. :-D
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim but I picture you as a traditional Sainsbury's customer. :P
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 16:17 I have difficulty understanding how a vegan can eat the unborn young of the domestic fowl. :-D

That's because I'm not a true vegan... I eat eggs and an occasional oily fish ;)

Eggs and oily fish are bloody good for you. I eat a largely vegan diet purely and simply for health reasons and not for any other reason...

And besides, I love eggs and oily fish, especially mackerel :D
demag wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 17:19 Correct me if I'm wrong Jim but I picture you as a traditional Sainsbury's customer. :P
No, not me... I was always a faithful Tesco customer with an occasional dalliance with Waitrose... Of the few times I've ventured into our nearest Sainsburys, which is hard for me to get to, the service has been terrible with long waits at the tills, even the self-service ones, and that's put me right off. It's also massive and far too big for me to feel comfortable in... Ditto the enormous MK Tesco Extra. I won't go near it...

Last week was the first time I'd stepped into an Aldi in a good 15 years!!! I was most pleasantly surprised :)
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 18:00 Last week was the first time I'd stepped into an Aldi in a good 15 years!!! I was most pleasantly surprised :)

They are far better than their reputation, lots of excellent stuff there.
Most of my shopping is done there or Lidl - excellent freshly baked bread and cakes there :)

Tesco overwhelms me with choice - I come out dizzy!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember recently one foody programme that suggested to somebody (who was selling jams and other preserves) that they REDUCE their range of options. When they did a trial run they were startled to see that this suggestion worked. Basically it seems that your average shopper will (when confronted with an overwhelming choice) walk away without buying anything, but when there are fewer options people are more likely to make a purchase. This may help explain why Aldi and Lidl are more successful than people initially thought.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 18:08 Tesco overwhelms me with choice - I come out dizzy!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean Steve... It seems very excessive to me...

But then, all I need of a food shop is one that sells just the raw ingredients...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My cousin Bob was 'accused' by a friend of being a food snob. When he asked why (saying that most 'food snobs' went to M&S), his friend responded that Bob would normally only use Waitrose for his normal ingredients.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 18:16 I remember recently one foody programme that suggested to somebody (who was selling jams and other preserves) that they REDUCE their range of options. When they did a trial run they were startled to see that this suggestion worked. Basically it seems that your average shopper will (when confronted with an overwhelming choice) walk away without buying anything, but when there are fewer options people are more likely to make a purchase. This may help explain why Aldi and Lidl are more successful than people initially thought.

To me James, that makes perfect sense...
Jim

harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Yes, Aldi have reduced their ranges; out with their lemon, lime and grapefruit marmalades - they were better than any others I had tasted. They stopped stocking their New Zealand venison, wonderful stuff and and also beef and piri piri sausages for the BBQ. Don't understand the strategy, enless it's just to irritate me :shock:
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros