XANTIA V6 MK2 WINDOW ISSUE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Moss
My Cars: first was a concourse Big15, also had DS, Safari, 1220club.
Current is 2001 Xantia V6 Exclusive.

XANTIA V6 MK2 WINDOW ISSUE

Post by Moss »

Hello again. Here's hoping for suggestions on how I might sort weird window behavior. After ignoring the front passenger window's refusal to work it has decided to spit the dummy and let itself down. It all started with a refusal to come fully down and stayed stuck....I checked all the connections and switch and when battery was reconnected the thing worked..sort of.
I left it up because it stopped working again...: that was six months ago. The cars been sitting for a while under a cover for a couple of weeks and when I took the cover off to give her a country romp found the window had let itself down!!! And there it is. Down. Wont go up and wont go down. All other windows work fine.
hattershaun
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C6 3.0HDi Exclusive
SM 3.0 manual 1972
DS 23 Pallas 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic 1982
C3 Pluriel 2009

Re: XANTIA V6 MK2 WINDOW ISSUE

Post by hattershaun »

Your window regulator may need replacing, either the cable has snapped, come off the guide rollers or the rollers have disintegrated.
I had this on my Xantia and it's a common happening on XM.

A chap in the UK used to sell replacement cables repair kits on eBay.
Shaun

C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive - 2010
SM 3.0 - 1972
DS 23 Pallas - 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic - 1982
C3 Pluriel - 2009
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the car has been standing for a while it's worth checking too the window guides are not very stick and gummy. This can cause the anti-pinch system to come into operation at the wrong time in the belief that an object is preventing full closure of the window.

As Shaun says, there is a very common problem with the S2 Xantia cables and this is normally the result of the plastic clip between the cable and the window glass breaking... Always a good idea to have a few spares on hand...

The cables can get very tangled but a bit of care will enable then to be untangled and re-strung.

The clips are still very much available on eBay here, for example
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would suggest (once you have got the window working again) you spray some silicone lubricant along the guides. The driver window of my C5 was getting awkward, and I read somewhere on this forum (with a video link) that silicone lubricant (which is water repellent) helps sort this out. Yes, it does. I will need to apply it again (it lasts about a year or so), but the window was far more reliable.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I would suggest (once you have got the window working again) you spray some silicone lubricant along the guides. The driver window of my C5 was getting awkward, and I read somewhere on this forum (with a video link) that silicone lubricant (which is water repellent) helps sort this out. Yes, it does. I will need to apply it again (it lasts about a year or so), but the window was far more reliable.
The same stuff works on your slow to return seatbelt FYI
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Moss

Post by Moss »

Thanks for your suggestions fellas. I managed to get the regulator assembly out though wondered about the mental state of the "designer" of the block clip setup". Mungrel. There is no visible issue with any part - plastic, wire or carrier. Not sure now how to test the black box/motor. Any suggestions on how to go about testing?.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I would firstly clean the window guide rails very carefully and check, with the regulator assembly out, that the glass slides very freely up and down...

The regulator mechanism can be tested without being 'connected' to the window glass, just be careful not to over-run it at the extreme ends of travel.

I can supply a wiring diagram if that would help?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Does rhe motor make any noise when operating the switch? If not, then I would check the wiring loom on both Driver and passenger sides at the door hinge areas. They may be contained within a protective sleeving that you can undo. It's not uncommon for a break to occur in this area over time.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Moss

Post by Moss »

Thanks for the offer of a wiring diagram Jim....think I'm going to need it....just can't figure how the window got lowered ... don't think a wire short at the door exit could send the thing into down mode given it was just sitting around.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Moss wrote:Thanks for the offer of a wiring diagram Jim....think I'm going to need it....
Here you go sir :)

Front Electric Windows Circuit

Front Electric Windows Harnesses

Front Electric Windows Locations

Hope they help solve the issue ;)
Jim

Moss

Post by Moss »

Well finally got time to look at the wiring, had been thinking switch was dodgy because the window let itself down. Pulled the switch out and HO! three wires had popped. Put them back by looking at length and probable spot method (otherwise known as R.S.B.) and plugged the power assembly in then flicked the switch. Cooked a wire...melted the insulation in a flash so now know there's juice coming to the switch. Now don't know weather the motor is the problem or the switch so plan on getting the motor checked.