hdis

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

hdis

Post by jacksun1987 »

Im starting todo more miles now. Ive never had a hdi before. Ive been looking at a few on tinternet. The xantia hdis and c5 hdi are nearly the same price. The 406 hdis are cheaper. Ive noticed. The xsrea hdis do more miles pre gallon. Prob the same with the 306 hdis.
I would love a xantia hdi. Good ones are going for strong money. cheap ones are slowly getting hard to come by. There are loads of c5 hdis. I've sat in a c5 didn't quite like it. Seemed to big bubbly. But ive never driven one before. How nice are the are they any good?
I really did like my 406 td. That felt nice, I would go for the 110 bhp ones not the 90 ones. The really cheap 406s ive seen and a odd c5s have done over 200k on the clocks.
When i driven a mondeo 03 tdi with 250 k it felt sluggish. Would the same thing happen to the hdis with high miles on or do they last longer?
jacksun1987

Re: hdis

Post by jacksun1987 »

what 406 and xantia hdis have the low tax band ?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Probably 2001 onwards as they go on emission level then instead of engine size.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I don't believe any Xantias have low tax band. Probably the same for 406s too.

If you want Citroen, HDi and low tax on a budget then you'll have to look for a C5 series 1. Good ones are lovely and I find then comfier than a Xantia and with more surefooted handling.

Good ones are great. Poor ones are horrid. You *will* need a lexia.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Northern_Mike on 07 Dec 2013, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think Lexia compulsory to avoid dealer charges. :)

I (think) the last 406's ie 02 plate will be cheaper tax potentially, not verified but I found that a 2002 106D was cheaper tax than a 2000...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

spider wrote:I think Lexia compulsory to avoid dealer charges. :)
and with it bankruptcy, in the case of a C5...

You're probably right about the later 406s, I didn't realise they made them so long after the Xantia. All Xantias, as far as I know (apart from the mystery one we know of on here) are pre-emissions measured road tax.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jacksun, look in the for sale section, there's a HDi Exclusive estate, 228k miles, up your way in St.Neots for sale. At that mileage, it'll still have loads of life left in it . Sounds like a well looked after, good one..

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =7&t=46872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

does the Exclusive have a trip computer so it tell you how many miles you get per gallon etc
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Not the Xantia.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

HDi Xantia makes for a very nice car and its a much nicer engine to drive and live with than the TD, though the XUD is a great engine the HDi has moved things on. Economy is better, drive is better and its much more refined. I'm not sure you will notice a massive increase in economy but there should be some.

C5 HDis are cheap but they could well cost more in the long run. I've not found C5s expensive to run but they certainly have their quirks. The C5 is a very strong and safe car and they do grip the road a little better but do not drive as well, in my opinion. The C5 certainly has advantages over the Xantia but then the Xantia also has its benefits over the C5. Choose which you like best.

If you are lucky enough to find a Xantia HDi which was registered in after March 2001 then you will have a slightly reduced tax bill, around £185 I think. Otherwise, it will be the usual Xantia bracket.

The 2.0HDi 8v in 110 is one of the better more modern diesels I think, it has no DPF (don't buy a Peugeot 307 110 as they do) and in the Xantia there is no DMF, which is one reason so buy the Xantia over the C5. When the dual mass flywheel goes its a costly thing to replace. I'm not sure if the 406 got the DMF, probably at some point.
jacksun1987 wrote:does the Exclusive have a trip computer so it tell you how many miles you get per gallon etc
Nope but you can get a plug in device which does that and much more, I have one in my HDi Xantia.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:
If you are lucky enough to find a Xantia HDi which was registered in after March 2001 then you will have a slightly reduced tax bill, around £185 I think. Otherwise, it will be the usual Xantia bracket.
Which, after next year for those who find it hard to pay out £260 or whatever all at once, won't be too bad, as we'll apparently be able to pay our road tax by monthly direct debit when the tax disc is abolished.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
Which, after next year for those who find it hard to pay out £260 or whatever all at once, won't be too bad, as we'll apparently be able to pay our road tax by monthly direct debit when the tax disc is abolished.
That is a great idea I think, it's about time the system was more modern ...
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Citroenmad wrote: That is a great idea I think, it's about time the system was more modern ...
It should mean more people paying too as spreading the cost makes it easier to afford
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I hope there's a reliable way to advise people of a failed drawdown, before they get penalised.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:I hope there's a reliable way to advise people of a failed drawdown, before they get penalised.
Normally if a direct debit bounces you get a letter from the company that should have been paid saying they'll try again in a few days, and also a letter from the bank saying they've rejected the payment and charged you for the privilege.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool