Hi all,
I have a bit of an odd favour to ask of anyone with an automatic 508. Could you measure the dimensions specified in the image please? "A" is from the spine to the furthest-forward point of the protrusion on the top. "B" is from the approximate centre-line of the mounting shaft to the same protrusion.
The shape of the one on my C5 means that when the car's in park there's almost no space between the knob and radio fascia. That in turn means that I can't actually leave anything in my DIY cup holder. My thinking is that if the 508's knob is significantly smaller I might have enough clearance but I don't want to spend money on one only to find that it's also too big.
Cheers.
[508] Automatic gear knob dimensions
-
the-termin8r
- (Donor 2025)
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 29 Dec 2022, 22:31
- x 144
[508] Automatic gear knob dimensions
Last edited by the-termin8r on 29 Sep 2026, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
- Rob
My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. There's no fix, sorry.
If you're reading any of my posts with missing design files, find them on my Google drive
My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. There's no fix, sorry.
If you're reading any of my posts with missing design files, find them on my Google drive
-
mickthemaverick
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 21136
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
- x 8118
Re: [508] Automatic gear knob dimension
Just a bizarre thought Rob, can you spin the knob round 180 so the straight spine is toward the radio? 
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
-
the-termin8r
- (Donor 2025)
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 29 Dec 2022, 22:31
- x 144
Re: [508] Automatic gear knob dimension
I had that idea too, I'd have to pull it off and see. Though with that being said, if it's anything like the knob on my previous manual it'll need the jaws of life. I don't want to put repeated unnecessary strain on the mechanism. I'll see if I can find any videos that show the mount in detail.
- Rob
My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. There's no fix, sorry.
If you're reading any of my posts with missing design files, find them on my Google drive
My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. There's no fix, sorry.
If you're reading any of my posts with missing design files, find them on my Google drive
-
the-termin8r
- (Donor 2025)
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 29 Dec 2022, 22:31
- x 144
Re: [508] Automatic gear knob dimensions
For anyone in the future, A is ~57mm and B is ~32mm. I ended up buying one from a breaker. Annoyingly, despite fitting on the shaft of the X7, it's still too big for my purposes. So a total waste of 24 quid. Mounting the original backwards is also a no-go because the shaft is keyed.
- Rob
My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. There's no fix, sorry.
If you're reading any of my posts with missing design files, find them on my Google drive
My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. There's no fix, sorry.
If you're reading any of my posts with missing design files, find them on my Google drive