Ferries

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Ferries

Post by tomsheppard »

Sorry if this is considered off topic but
many of us take our cars to France. I recently received the latest generous offer from my agents: 5 day return car+2 from £161. In practice this means 3 days due to there being no good sailing times fron Portsmouth to Cherbourg. 18 months ago this was £38 and last year £58.
Ferry companies make Citroen parts departments look like charitable institutions! I'm registered with Channelpirates.com and I looked on their site to find a carrier that does Dover- Boulogne for £65, car+5 and NO TIME LIMIT.
Ok, I'll spend more time in the car but as I'll get twice as many people over for as long as I like at less than half the price, I'll enjoy the drive!
So if this posting is of interest, check out channelpirates.com
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

that sounds good as I wanted to get away for a few days and 65 return would be great thanks, will investigate
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Better than Belfast to Stranraer! I could have booked off-peak return for £178 - gets me to Stranraer at midnight - on the way to south of England. Add fuel, an overnight stop, motorway food[xx(] and so on I am going easyjet and hire car for less!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Next Tuesday evening, we are taking our Xantia and a 7 metre caravan over to Calais and returning after three weeks for £128 return. At present day prices, it's a fantastic fare but for a journey of only twenty miles, it's more than enough. To obtain this fare, I booked in October 03. The same booking on the website now gives a fare of £290. Highway robbery, or what?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Let the wife book a long week end in Paris a few years ago [:D]. Told me she was going to book a cheap deal on the internet. Still paying the credit card bill by working week ends [:I].
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Not highway robbery- PIRACY!
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

it costs £60 for the Isle Of Wight ferry!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Just looked at the site, refreshing from the take it or leave it attitude of the incumbents, might take the BX across soon.
Stewart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

If you use the channel tunnel (Eurostar),and book as a USA residant, (i.e. click on the American flag, NOT the English one) you pay in dollars instead of £ sterling! saves about %45 of price. [;)]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

You have to be kidding, how on earth does that work ie. why are we charged more??? Also is there any risk of you not being allowed to travel etc? Although i guess all they ask for is passport and proof of booking the ticket, not proof of address
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Isn't this racial discrimination?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I also read about Eurotunnel being caught out on this. Apparently they felt an excuse wasn't necessary. Regarding cross-channel fares - I've just been looking at the fare structure for ferries from Vancouver to Vancouver Island - 24 miles and one and a half hour journey, similar to Dover/Calais. For a car and two passengers, peak period, midweek return - £37.50. Not a mention of how many days away.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

The price thing was on TV recently. Eurotunnel simply said they have one price, you either pay it in dollars or in pounds. They do not check on where you live. Sounds as though they simply cant be bothered to work out all the exchange rates. Like the man said, $ or £'s how you pay is your choice, so choose $ dollars [:D]...
There is a cross channel ferry from Poole Dorset, I don't know times or prices though.. [:I]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

There's a guy on Radio 2 most Fridays, does this 'how to save money thing'. He told a story of how by booking a flight to Berlin on line from Heathrow by stating he was in Luxemburg he saved over £200. Ok the flight went on to Luxemberg but if your saving that kind of money by telling a none truth then carry on. My wife buys a lot of stuff on line and she has said on loads of occassions that it's cheaper to have it sent via another country then straight to the UK. Another stealth , rip off Britian tax. HA ha!! I love it, wheres me pills.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/index.phtml
I catch him occasionally on Radio 2 as well...