engine oil leaking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

engine oil leaking

Post by b21playa »

where are the common point for oil leaking. ive got holdd of a cheap 306 and seen the persons drive and it has oil stains all over it. he says its coming from the back of the engine
my q : where are the common leaks and how can i over come them?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If it's a diesel then you possibly have a leak at the bottom of the oil filler neck. 50p for the O ring seal from citroen of Peugeot. Leaks all down the front of the block and over the sump. Also the gasket on the rocker cover may have gone, this will leak down the back , front infact all over the block. Agian cheap and easy to replace from GSF.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

If it's a diesel then you possibly have a leak at the bottom of the oil filler neck. 50p for the O ring seal from citroen of Peugeot. Leaks all down the front of the block and over the sump. Also the gasket on the rocker cover may have gone, this will leak down the back , front infact all over the block. Agian cheap and easy to replace from GSF.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
how can these be fixed??
are they easy to do and does anyone have the part numbers?
it actually leaking from the back, so does that mean most likely rocker gasket??
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Rocker cover just held on with three screws from memory - easy.
When tracing an oil leak remember to look below where the leaked oil starts - ie a leak can't travel upwards.
The only way is to get under there and have a look.
Could be something as simple as the oil drain plug. Good luck.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

yeah ill have a look at it
i either get the car this saturday or next
intercooler wil have to come off so i can have a look
might try and get it up the ramps to have a look underneath wats happening
my dads mate, does MOTs and he will give it a quick once over
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

hi
i spoke to the seller of the car and he said that the leak is diagonally from the turbo towards the passenger side.
this is if your looking at it from underneath the car.
any ideas???
he said the other leak is from under the intercooler
how do i get the oil filler neck 0' ring off???
what the best way to clean all the oil after taking the intercooler off?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

The 'O' ring seal at the bottom of the filer neck is a right old pain in the ar** [:(!]. You have to dissconnect all the hoseing on to it first and then it's a case of just pulling it up and out. Hopefully there's no jubilee clip on the bottom but that's undo-able with a little time and patitence [:(]. The rocker is an easy one undo 3 screws list off and replace [:D]. The intercooler has a small almost oval seal on it that fits between the cooler and the manifold again easy replacement. Got a brand new one in the garage that I never got around to fitting yours for a couple of quid [:D] if your interested. As for cleaning it all I have used in the past some washing up liquid and a stiff brush with the hose running undrneath so as to wash away the cr*p, but it's probably better to use one of these products that H***ords sell for a couple of quid and then WD40 all the electrics when dry.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

heres the pic ive been sent from the person im getting the car from
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Hum nice. Sure looks like the rocker gasket has gone. It's not hard to remove the intercooler to have alook. Another thing, you'll never be short of jubilee clips [:D]
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

right
well i get the car saturday hopefully. i will check the leak by taking off the intercooler and then if it is the rocker gasket, just replace it and clean up the engine bay
how much does the gasket cost from peugeot???
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Your engine looks like mine used to! [:)]
A little warning: I sheared two of the three bolts holding the rocker cover on when changing my rocker gasket (following the torque setting in Haynes), so either be careful or get a set from Peugeot. They're about 20p each I recall.
My leak turned out to be partly the gasket, but also the breather pipe was split and letting oily fumes out. Not good. There was a bloomin' awkward jubilee clip keeping the filler neck in place so I had to have the starter motor off - pretty straightforward really, just three bolts. Worth it in the end though, my engine's spotless!
Best way to tell if you've fixed the leak is to invest in a bottle of Gunk or similar degreasant, and give the engine a good going over with a stiff brush. You can buff the rocker cover up nicely with it off, natch. Cover up the alternator and any exposed electrical connections and get a pressure washer on it. You'll soon spot any leaks right away after that.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by batwad</i>

Your engine looks like mine used to! [:)]
A little warning: I sheared two of the three bolts holding the rocker cover on when changing my rocker gasket (following the torque setting in Haynes), so either be careful or get a set from Peugeot. They're about 20p each I recall.
My leak turned out to be partly the gasket, but also the breather pipe was split and letting oily fumes out. Not good. There was a bloomin' awkward jubilee clip keeping the filler neck in place so I had to have the starter motor off - pretty straightforward really, just three bolts. Worth it in the end though, my engine's spotless!
Best way to tell if you've fixed the leak is to invest in a bottle of Gunk or similar degreasant, and give the engine a good going over with a stiff brush. You can buff the rocker cover up nicely with it off, natch. Cover up the alternator and any exposed electrical connections and get a pressure washer on it. You'll soon spot any leaks right away after that.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
yeah i used GUNK on my other 306 and its come up aa treat.
got rid of all the crap by the injecors and on the sump
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Isn't that what just about every XUD engine looks like? Having had well over a dozen of these engines in various cars (including the first ever fitment, a Talbot Horizon!) I think just about every single one of them had a leaky cam cover gasket. Fitting a new one doesn't "always" fix the problem. I remember one particular engine which would never seal, until an old gasket was cut into a thin strip, to sit inside a new gasket, (effectively making it thicker) and make the seal press harder. That worked a treat.... I never did clean the engine off though. hmm,
Another leak point for the XUD is the sump gasket, especially at the back of the engine, as the joint between sump and block is under the oil line, so it will leak all the time, not just when the engine is running.
Any help? or has that just muddied (oiled?!) the water further.
David.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

yeah that has helped
i will get the gasket replced and maybe use some of that silicon gasket stuff you can buy made by holts.
keep it sealed properly
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

>> and maybe use some of that silicon gasket stuff you can buy made by holts.
That's asking for trouble. If anything, use blue hylomar. If it still won't stop leaking, use red hylomar, but don't expect to ever be able to remove it again!
Silicon based sealant is awful on metals, and even worse when in contact with oil. If you must, use an acrylic based selant, as this is impervious to oil.
David.