Question re glow plugs - C8 2,0 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FrankHH

Question re glow plugs - C8 2,0 HDI

Post by FrankHH »

I have a 2007 Citroen C8 2,0 HDI, 100 kW (134 HP).
The authorized Citroen dealer where I bought the car from new, told me they had tested the glow plugs and found that one was faulty. They are hard to reach, many work hours, price tag for fixing was exorbitant.

A knowledgeable mechanic at an unauthorized repair shop told me:
1) the dashboard indicator (a coil) will light up when engine is running, if there is a problem.
2) the glow plugs are connected in parallel, and the dashboard indicator would light up if just one plug was faulty

My dashboard indicator only lights up briefly, when I turn the starter key. Normal behaviour.
Would anyone know what the right answer is?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: Question re glow plugs - C8 2,0 HDI

Post by Gibbo2286 »

With one glow plug not working it doesn't affect the light, there's a video here for testing and changing them on the 2.0 litre HDI it's for a C5 so maybe different for the C8 it's a bit of a struggle. :(
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
FrankHH

Post by FrankHH »

Thanks Gibbo,
The video gives a good idea of the difficulty of the task, the work area is quite concealed, basically the guy can't see what he is doing.

- With only one glow plug faulty, how critical would that be for a winter cold start ? - would anyone have an idea of that ?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It's not only concealed it's a long stretch with your belly over the engine, :) as for winter starting it will depend on how low the temperature gets, the engine's pretty good at starting without too much need of the glow plugs in UK temperatures.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have a rational fear of glow plugs :-D . You may be lucky and removing 4 glow plugs you may get them all out without snapping a single one. You can increase your chances by a bit pre-job lubing in advance, and throughout every step of the removal process. Engine warmed up on removal day, and slowly does it with the wrench

The spectre of a snapped off plug is more than a possibility.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 19:47 I was so pleased with myself when I got my glow plugs out after taking root in the head for 200,000 miles and 12 years, that I put a pic up on "Picture(s) of the Day". I wonder if your 2.0HDI plugs are stubbier than mine? The ones on my former 02 reg 2.0HDi (8V) picasso were. If you get them out put up a celebratory pic! :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 17:33 This is a dud glow plug. Its been in place for 200,000 miles and I have just got back on the glow plug removal horse, after a traumatic incident summarised in this thread....Glow Plugs Annihilate 2.0HDi Xsara Picasso

I had my trusty fairy liquid bottle filled with a mixture of ATF and Diesel, and adopted the "screw it in screw it out repeat" technique and tried to persuade as much lube as possible down the "hole" before using the "up down, up down, spin right spin left" repeat and out it came, intact, and remarkably clean as a whistle.

DSC02238.JPG
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

What happens if things dont work....

Its a long vid but the chap has a nice presentation style

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Just one thing about that Neil, to prepare the job if they're carboned into place cellulose paint thinners is the product to use not the normal plus gas or other oily stuff., celly thinners dissolves the carbon much better, also good for cleaning up carburettor bodies.
It is of course highly inflammable so put the ciggy out and make sure there are no naked flames close by.
FrankHH

Post by FrankHH »

Thanks for taking time out to answer and comment on my post
/Frank
NewcastleFalcon

FrankHH wrote: 03 Jul 2024, 13:40 Thanks for taking time out to answer and comment on my post
/Frank
You are welcome Frank, enjoy the FCF plenty of helpful folk on here, and good luck with your job if you decide to do it. I put the job off for a number of years, knowing I had at least one duff glow plug, on the basis of what happened with the Picasso, eventually at 200,000 miles I did the job and replaced all 4. Some confidence sapping noises as I recall but I took it very easy and very slowly and all 4 came out cleanly.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

As a C8 owner I've never seen the glow plug light/coil go on which should only come on when pre heating iirc, and they haven't been touched in 10 years. Even in minus temperatures I've never had a fault as such, just left ignition on for 30 seconds then start.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.