Citroen C5 Aircross in Economy mode will not start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

unitedbirlik

Citroen C5 Aircross in Economy mode will not start

Post by unitedbirlik »

Hi to All

Thank you from the start

I have a 2023 Citroën C5 Aircross. Recently, I noticed that the battery was not performing well, so I decided to replace it. After installing the new battery and connecting everything, the car won't start. I even connected the power jumper, still won't start

When I open the door, a message briefly appears saying "Economy mode activated," and then everything goes dead. The remote fob does not lock or unlock the car, the windows won't open, and the display on the infotainment system remains off. The only lights that stay on for a few minutes are the 'P' (Park) position indicator and the handbrake light, but they eventually turn off as well.

I've read about potential solutions online, but my car is completely unresponsive, so I can't try any of them. The windows won't open, the remote fob is useless, and there's no power to anything in the car.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice on what I can do to resolve this issue, I would be extremely grateful.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen C5 Aircross in Economy mode will not start

Post by myglaren »

Some Citroens and specifically C5s have a somewhat elaborate procedure for disconnecting the battery and reconncting it. If you have not followed this procedure it may have caused problems with the car's electronics, primarily the BSI.

This is the required method.

Try following it and hopefully normality will be restored.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Exactly what battery have you fitted?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Surely this vehicle is still under manufacturers warranty? If there was an issue with the battery should really have gone to dealer.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I agree, get it back to the dealer under warranty if you can start it, otherwise book it in and get your home start breakdown to tow it at a time when the dealership can look at it and give you a hire car.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Make sure you refit the original battery back in if taking it to the dealer incase they point the finger of blame at you.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I heard that the handbook says "If the car has problems after battery changing a period of immobility is needed i.e. leave the car standing for around 8 hours then try again."
Don't ask! :wink:
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That may relate to the resetting of the climate control on some C4 Picasso models after a battery replacement for the system to recalibrate. I wrote about that somewhere a while back IIRC.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Jun 2024, 10:19 That may relate to the resetting of the climate control on some C4 Picasso models after a battery replacement for the system to recalibrate. I wrote about that somewhere a while back IIRC.

Comment came from my neighbour's grandson who is a mechanic who has all the tools including expensive Snap-On diagnostics kit but seems to do most of his work with a 2lb lump hammer. :)
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)